Naslund Jersey Retirement, like? dislike?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Naslund Jersey Retirement, like? dislike?

Post by Jelly »

dislike.

way too soon.

the ring of honor was enough for this year imo.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Naslund Jersey Retirement, like? dislike?

Post by nucklehead_88 »

like! all time leader in all scoring catigories, played 12 seasons with us, was our capitain for a long time. he deserves it
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Classy move by the canucks. I like!!!
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

I have 2 Naslund jerseys, so i like it.
But honestly what they'll do whenever a team will win something ? Retire all ?
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Vancouver Canucks, the first professional sports team to use letters as part of their numbering system of their roster.

Andrew Albert's AA is retired two days after the announcement.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

This is tough for me. I was never, EVER a Naslund fan. I always saw him as part of the Messier regime, seeing as he was named successor to Messier's debacle and Messier gave him such a ringing endorsement. Yet, I can not in good conscience ignore what he's achieved with this franchise. I say yes, but it's too soon. Although I do understand the significance of the 40th anniversary and whatnot.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Like LiG, I wasn't a 'huge' fan, but if we don't retire his number, then we don't retire anyone's.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

This near ensures that 22, 33 will both be retired, and if 17 stays his career here, he would get it too.

14 would be a stretch, but if he puts together 2 or 3 years of all star worthy performances, then maybe he should too?

And if the argument was that 19 was a captain, then gee.. there wasn't much captaining that he did, he was quiet, very quiet.

and the most memorable thing i remember him talking about was 'We choked'

gee...
trouble

Post by trouble »

Sorry i have to disagree with Retiring Nazzy Jersey.. Ring of Honor. YES.

The Canucks need to win a cup or make it to the finals before a player can even come close to getting it retired. He did alot for the Canucks but No Cup or even close to a Cup
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

Nazzy had a great career but he wasn't as big as Trevor or Smyl. Those two got into the fans heart, Nazzy didn't!
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Jovorock wrote:Nazzy had a great career but he wasn't as big as Trevor or Smyl. Those two got into the fans heart, Nazzy didn't!
I think you are rascist against Vikings is what I think ;)

Markus was a born-again Christian, a Scandinavian and an unlikely Captain. Did you read what he said? It was about friendship and community on an off the ice that gave him the success on the ice. The confidence to be a leader even though he maybe was not a natural born one. I am really happy about this. Too many fickle Canuck fans forget the great teams and moments the WCE gave us. They were the most feared scoring line in the NHL and it was beautiful.

19 finally gets his due and hopefully the fans will show a lot of class and appreciation.

Good going MG!
Last edited by Arachnid on Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

trouble wrote:Sorry i have to disagree with Retiring Linden & Smyl.. Ring of Honor. YES.

The Canucks need to win a cup before a player can even come close to getting it retired. He did alot for the Canucks but No Cup
FIXED!
8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

I don't really understand all the flack against Naslund. Sure he didn't take us to the promised land, but neither has any other captain for our team since we became the Canucks. If that is the measuring point, than neither Smyl nor Linden should have been retired.

Naslund was very involved in the community and in giving back to it, so if that is the measuring point, he passes, as do Linden and Smyl.

If the measuring point is solely personal accomplishment, then Naslund has the most points and most goals of any Canuck ever - seemingly accomplishments that would factor into such a decision.

Sure the guy wasn't a blowhard and didn't have the cocky personality common to some of our new favourites. The guy was soft spoken and humble. He wasn't the muscle head alpha male. But he was an amazingly upstanding, classy and talented individual. Pensonally I liked having a captain who wasn't a jerk, someone that people were able to look up to both in the professional sense and in the personal sense (not intimating that Luongo is a jerk by any means).

He and Bert brought us the most exciting brand of hockey since Bure and that is something to be said. I think a lot of people are forgetting how amazing it was to watch the WCE at its peak. Pretty much will it and score it - pure domination like that is quite a feat in this league and there are only a few who are able to accomplish it. Those were some good times - they burned brightly but regrettably also pretty quickly.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

If he was such a great captain, he wouldn't have bolted to the Rangers, the god damn Rangers.

If you put Smyl, Linden, and Naslund side by side and compare their play.

Naslund on the ice was not a Canuck, his play wasn't something that I'd want our prospects looking up to.

Uninterested floating on the ice until someone does the dirty work for you and you shoot at the net?
Sure, he 'dominated' the league as one third of the best line in NHL at that short time span, but I would like to point out that the rise and fall of that line, was a direct result of the rise and fall of Bertuzzi.

Naslund was nothing with out Bertuzzi.
So do we retire 44 as well?
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Jelly wrote:If he was such a great captain, he wouldn't have bolted to the Rangers, the god damn Rangers.
Check your facts.

He left for the Rangers at a time when nearly the entirety of the fickle Vancouver fans had turned on him and were all over his back about how he didn't deserve the the contract he had (when he could have signed for much more in another city when making that contract), how he wasn't a good captain, how he no longer cared about the game, etc. Don't really understand how you expect the guy to stay under those circumstances. I don't think he even received an offer so your complaint is a bit less than fair.
Jelly wrote:If you put Smyl, Linden, and Naslund side by side and compare their play.

Naslund on the ice was not a Canuck, his play wasn't something that I'd want our prospects looking up to.

Uninterested floating on the ice until someone does the dirty work for you and you shoot at the net?
Cause Linden's last year was amazing? True Naslund was never the same after the Moore hit and there has been a ton of speculation about that. Whether he lost his shot, became more cautious, etc. Whatever the case that uninterested floating guy still scored 25 goals. And yes, I think his humility and integrity were something for prospects to look up to.
Jelly wrote:Sure, he 'dominated' the league as one third of the best line in NHL at that short time span, but I would like to point out that the rise and fall of that line, was a direct result of the rise and fall of Bertuzzi.

Naslund was nothing with out Bertuzzi.
So do we retire 44 as well?
Good one Jelly. Naslund had at least 6-7 years where he was considered a VERY good player - Bertuzzi 2-4 max. Sure the highpoint of Naslund's career was playing with Bertuzzi. Not really sure why finding a great linemate with whom one has amazing chemistry should be considered an exclusion to having one's jersey retired - or how that makes him a lesser player. Check their stats comparison and rethink your statement: Naslund was nothing without Bertuzzi. He did have his elite peak with Bertuzzi, but was also very good without him - case in point 1998: Naslund 36 goals - Bertuzzi 32 games 8 goals and 8 assists, but sure Bert must have somehow been in on all 36 goals - that 7th man does wonders.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu