Manny Malhotra to Canucks

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Manny Malhotra to Canucks

Post by Cornuck »

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Manny Malhotra to Canucks

Post by Linden Is God »

I love this! He's the forward I wanted MG to acquire. MG also got the one dman I wanted in Ballard. He can shut it down now and I'll be satisfied.

McGuire brought up a good point, saying this may be it for Hodgson. What do you guys think?

I also saw on twitter that Manny has a no trade clause.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

I don't think Hodgson is gone with Malholtras signing.
If he makes the team, he may start on the wing with Malholtra.
Either that or Cody could anchor the 4th line and work his way up ahead of Manny in the future.
I think Macguire is overreacting in assuming that Cody is on the way out the door.

I like this signing, it makes us bigger (compared to Welly) and gives us a solid faceoff man.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

If anyone panics about 2.5m cap hit. Remember, cap max is at 59.4 the cap hit is 4.21%! Comparing to a few years ago, this would be a 2m cap hit signing.

He anchors our third line, gives us physicality that Wellwood couldn't provide, wins faceoff just as well as Wellwood, but can also play PK, which, in games where we have a 2 goal lead, we could give guys like Kesler and Burrows another breather. Over the whole season, this is going to help.

And remember how Henrik had to play PK in late game situations and when Kesler is in the box? We now have Malhotra taking over that role. Henrik will have more rest as well.

If we resign Johnson as well as our 4th line center, we have one of the stronger line up in the centers in NHL.

Again, 4.21% of Max Cap, not that much when you look at it that way.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

And I'd like to point out that the NTC provides stability for the Canucks as well in the 3rd line center role, how many have we gone through in the last 10 years?

Btw, Maholtra is married to Steve Nash's sister, I think that was another incentive to sign in BC.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

I like the signing, but hate the numbers. Didn't Manny make $700,000 last season? If so, did he do anything to warrant a raise like this? I find it difficult to believe MG couldn't have done this for a whole lot less cash.
As for Hodgson, I think it would have been unfair to expect him to come in and centre the 3rd line with zero experience. Starting him off on the wing and seeing how he plays is a much better option IMO.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

15 goal man......not bad i guess. good depth man
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

I really like the signing personally. Wish it was for less, obviously. But you have to overpay to bring guys in. Signing Burrows for 2mil was a mistake on his part if he is mad about money now. And same with Sammy. Malholtra was probably a decently sought after player today. He is a terrific third line centre and came into the sharks last year winning a contract in training camp. He played very well last year. yeah i know price is going off on Malholtra's numbers come playoff time.. but he also compared money with burrows... why don't we compare playoff performances too?
I like i said. I really like this deal, just wish it was for maybe 600k less.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Yeah, the price is a little steep but you have to pay to get in the market for FAs. Look at how much the leaves paid for Armstrong! Malholtra addresses the 3rd line center problem and we still have $7.5M in cap space.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Malhotra is to the Canucks what John Madden was to the Blackhawks. I guess Perault means adios Bolduc. Two big centres. The best signing IMO is Coburn to Philly for $2.7 ??
cheers
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

woodhog wrote:I don't think Hodgson is gone with Malholtras signing.
If he makes the team, he may start on the wing with Malholtra.
Either that or Cody could anchor the 4th line and work his way up ahead of Manny in the future.
I think Macguire is overreacting in assuming that Cody is on the way out the door.

I like this signing, it makes us bigger (compared to Welly) and gives us a solid faceoff man.
Agreed WH, if McGuire really said that then he's an idiot or is jealous the Canucks look way better than both Ontario teams. Ya, a 3rd-4th line checking center who will get 30-35pts spells the end for a blue-chip champion prospect w/ strong character & leadership. What the hell is that guy's damage? Really??? Who it spells the end for is Wellwood and McGuire's opinion meaning anything whatsoever. Hodgson will be eased into the lineup as AV sees fit; brought along slowly and don't forget Malhotra can also play the wing and be moved to the 4th line if need be, Hodgson can go to the Moose, play 4th or 3rd line at C or W. Lots of options there. End of Hodgson is almost as funny as Calgary bringing Jokinen back.

Hey Fred, speaking of Madden I'd LOVE to see him sign here as our 4th line center! Exactly what we need.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Speaking of 4th line center, if RJ10 can get healthy in the off season, i wouldn't mind him being here again. Else maybe it's time for Bolduc to get a shot, or try Rypper there again?

I just have a feeling Madden might retire.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

Jelly wrote:Speaking of 4th line center, if RJ10 can get healthy in the off season, i wouldn't mind him being here again. Else maybe it's time for Bolduc to get a shot, or try Rypper there again?

I just have a feeling Madden might retire.

big Johnson fan, i really hope he comes back
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Interesting he's been skating w/ the Canucks at 8 rinks for awhile now. Coincidence? :wink:
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

He apparently lives here, he's married to Steve Nash sister
cheers