Canucks Pre-draft Thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Pre-draft Thread

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Well, I hope he does, but at 4.2 million for a 2nd pairing Dman, I see this as more restrictive toward moving forward rather than enabling.

Third and fourth lines could use some retooling but I think that D was definitely our Achilles' Heel. Our previous strategy of having a bunch of 2nd pairing guys hasn't seemed to pan out. Maybe I am wrong but this trade seems to just be a continuation of that strategy, not a shift from it.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
Third and fourth lines could use some retooling but I think that D was definitely our Achilles' Heel. Our previous strategy of having a bunch of 2nd pairing guys hasn't seemed to pan out. Maybe I am wrong but this trade seems to just be a continuation of that strategy, not a shift from it.
which number one guys are available? Hamhuis nor Volchenkov are number one guys. Both are mid-pairing players. There is no way the Canucks were going to get a number one guy for Grabner and the 25th pick. Gillis' strategy is sound. $4M for what Ballard brings (durability, minutes, physical play and points) isn't a bad deal at all.

We need some players on the back end under contract for multiple seasons. My guess is that Ballard will be part of a new shift for the back-end moving forward. Ehrhoff, Edler and Ballard is a very solid 2-4 rotation. What we'll have to see is where guys like Bieksa, Alberts and SOB end up.

Just looking at things now, we could be watching the most dynamic top-to-bottom defenses in hockey next season. Ehrhoff, Ballard, Edler and healthy seasons (knock wood) out of Salo and Bieksa... All those guys are capable of 35-40 points.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
DonCherry4PM wrote:
We need some players on the back end under contract for multiple seasons. My guess is that Ballard will be part of a new shift for the back-end moving forward. Ehrhoff, Edler and Ballard is a very solid 2-4 rotation. What we'll have to see is where guys like Bieksa, Alberts and SOB end up.

Just looking at things now, we could be watching the most dynamic top-to-bottom defenses in hockey next season. Ehrhoff, Ballard, Edler and healthy seasons (knock wood) out of Salo and Bieksa... All those guys are capable of 35-40 points.
A defense without a true #1 guy can work, I think, but you need A-1 goaltending to complete the equation. So our goalie needs to hold up his end of the bargain. It's difficult to separate goaltending and the defense corps for me. They're all in it together. If Louie can't return to form, this D will get exposed again at some crucial time.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

DonCherry4PM wrote:................... Our previous strategy of having a bunch of 2nd pairing guys hasn't seemed to pan out. Maybe I am wrong but this trade seems to just be a continuation of that strategy, not a shift from it.
I think the Canucks strategy was sound and barring Schneiders no-show,Lukowichs and a host of other D-man injuries(ending with Salo's).Said strategy could have worked and if I was MG I would try that strategy again for the defense.
Now that the Bernier experiment has ended they could use some new blood for the 3rd and 4th lines, preferably with some toughness to compliment the skilled Hodgson and Schroeder if they make the team.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Fred wrote:HEY I got the guy I recommended SAWYER HANNAY that's the guy I suggested middle of last week a kid from NB big and mean
Good scouting Fred! ...or should I say, Mr. Delorme??? ;)
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy