The final insult in this saga

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

The final insult in this saga

Post by Fred »

Cam Neely apparently not only a great player but now to be President of the Boston Bruins. Looks good on you Cam
The Boston Bruins have called a news conference for Wednesday when it is expected that they will name former Bruins great Cam Neely as the team's new President.

Neely will take over the job, which has been vacant since Harry Sinden stepped down prior to the 2006-07 season.

Neely has spent the past three seasons in the Bruins' front office as the team's vice president. The Hall of Fame power forward spent 10 seasons in Boston, hitting the 50 goal mark on three occasions.
cheers
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: The final insult in this saga

Post by the toucan kid »

Yeah, we'll never live that down.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

It all starts with having Tom Watt for a coach and ends with Arthur Griffiths. Watt didn't trust playing a rookie out there and used Neely as a goon and Griffiths masterminded the whole fleecing w/ Sinden after agreeing to a deal in principle w/ Philly.

This picture best sums up that era:
Yes that is indeed Bill LaForge helping a struggling J.J. Daigneault at the draft.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

I think it's just time to let the Neely saga go. He didn't work out here, much like Naslund (although at a lower scale) didn't work out in Pittsburgh.

I've been done thinking about the "what ifs" with Cam Neely since I was up freezing my ass off at SFU finishing up my undergrad.

In the famous words of former Canucks coach and player, Marc Crawford, "It is what it is."
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Wasn't that Bertuzzi?

Pretty sure Neely wouldn't be in the HOF if he'd remained a Canuck.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

ClamRussel wrote:Wasn't that Bertuzzi?

Pretty sure Neely wouldn't be in the HOF if he'd remained a Canuck.
Yeah the quote was from the Bertuzzi saga, but the Neely one is just so old.

It's amazing how many people still think of the 'what ifs' with him going to the Bruins...it's been well over 20 years everyone.

I agree with you Clam, I don't think Neely would have been a HOF'er had he remained a Canuck.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Before we amputate I just thought this was the final salt in the wound, it's like the gift that keeps giving :D
cheers
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

It's amazing how many people still think of the 'what ifs' with him going to the Bruins...it's been well over 20 years everyone.
A championship here or there might help to quash those 'what if' games...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

LotusBlossom wrote:I think it's just time to let the Neely saga go. He didn't work out here

LB, he was never given a chance to work out here. I was 16 years old at the time he was dealt and I hated that deal when it happened. Fat Quinn who came one year too late would NOT have made that trade.

As Clam says he was used as a 4th line slug for fighting but he still put up 52 goals in less than three seasons before he was dealt, with bad linemates and garbage icetime. He was barely 21 when he was given to the Bruins along with a pretty decent defenceman . It is easily one of the worst trades in pro sports let alone hockey. One can imagine the numbers he would have put up had he not gotten cheapshotted by Ulf Samuelsson.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Point being boys, I was probably about 11 years old at the time when it all was said and done. But that's the point...you can hate it all you want. You all can say "what if" but the point is... it happened and much to the chagrin of many here in Canuckland... it's ancient history.

Cam Neely was destined to be a Bruin. It was written and it was so.

Good luck to Neely in the front office :)
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:I think it's just time to let the Neely saga go. He didn't work out here

LB, he was never given a chance to work out here. I was 16 years old at the time he was dealt and I hated that deal when it happened. Fat Quinn who came one year too late would NOT have made that trade.

As Clam says he was used as a 4th line slug for fighting but he still put up 52 goals in less than three seasons before he was dealt, with bad linemates and garbage icetime. He was barely 21 when he was given to the Bruins along with a pretty decent defenceman . It is easily one of the worst trades in pro sports let alone hockey. One can imagine the numbers he would have put up had he not gotten cheapshotted by Ulf Samuelsson.
Every team has it's Neely, and every team also has it's Naslund/Antoski. Lotus is right.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Tciso wrote:Every team has it's Neely, and every team also has it's Naslund/Stojanov. Lotus is right.
Fixed
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:

As Clam says he was used as a 4th line slug for fighting but he still put up 52 goals in less than three seasons before he was dealt, with bad linemates and garbage icetime. He was barely 21 when he was given to the Bruins along with a pretty decent defenceman.
I agree, Neely was coming along in Vancouver, but Watt wouldn't use him properly. Watt was in over his head as an NHL coach. A smart hockey man would not have made that trade, even though Barry Pedersen represented the 100-point centre the Canucks had never had. 1985-1986 was the nadir of the Canucks existence, and that trade was the exclamation to point to prove it.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

LotusBlossom wrote:Point being boys, I was probably about 11 years old at the time when it all was said and done. But that's the point...you can hate it all you want. You all can say "what if" but the point is... it happened and much to the chagrin of many here in Canuckland... it's ancient history.

Cam Neely was destined to be a Bruin. It was written and it was so.

Good luck to Neely in the front office :)
You're going soft on us, LB. :mad:
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Sid Dithers wrote: A smart hockey man would not have made that trade
Thats what happens when you give your kid a position of power he clearly does not deserve to be in. A smart hockey man he was not. The era between Jake Milford & Pat Quinn were very dark days indeed.