Curt Fraser

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Curt Fraser

Post by ClamRussel »

One player the Canucks NEVER should have traded...in fact he's exactly the type of player our team needs right now.

...well that and a good blueliner but thats besides the point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdmW4zaC ... re=related

Tony Tanti never got us anywhere...after '82 we traded all our heart & soul away even though we had some good young talented kids coming up in the system (Sundstrom, Butcher, Skriko and eventually Neely).

Is there even anyone like Fraser in the league anymore?

Amazing we got him in the SECOND round, look at these numbers:
1977-78 Victoria Cougars WCHL 66gp 48-44-92 256pim
and in the playoffs 13gp 10-7-17 28pim

Perhaps we can ask Detroit for permission to bring him here as an assistant to AV, be great to bring this former Canuck home.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Curt Fraser

Post by woodhog »

Yes Clam, he was a good one. I used to watch him play in Victoria and he was a force to be reckoned with.
Lucic may be the closest to Curt in this era. There aren't many that compare today.
It would be great to get him as a coach ... some may suggest as the head coach.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

I agree about Fraz, but taking a swipe at Tanti isn't right. TT scored a lot of goals on some poor teams. He held up his end of the bargain. At times, he was the only guy who could put the puck in the net at all.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Not really trying to take a swipe at Tanti but we gave up a lot to get him...I know Tanti came out of junior w/ superb numbers but those were some dark days here. Not that it was his fault but imo alot of our problems came from not having anyone like Fraser around anymore.

If Tanti had been traded to the Oilers he'd be in the Hall of Fame now, guaranteed.
Perhaps he peaked too early as a junior...he had great hands and was second to only Tim Kerr in deflections....shame his career burned out so fast but I guess thats the way it went in those days. He should have put up better career numbers w/ his skill level imo. As a Canuck he lead us nowhere in terms of playoff success, in fact he never won a series in the bigs.

In terms of results; the post '82 rebuilding project was one colossal failure.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Fraser was a great player IMO and as you say exactly what is needed today a real tough guy that can play a regular shift. Unfortunitley he was a classic example of that period of time in the Canucks history, mismanagement. He a couple of years into his time here couldn't play to the level he had, and some in management believed he was simply not putting out and lazy. Turned out he was developing type "A" diabetes...never diagosed until it was to late and the trade was on the boil. Bobby Clarke was also diabetic but handled his disease with a lot of help. Frasier was offered none. It's a terrible disease and vitually has you running on a empty tank and if not attended to kills you. To me it was a black black mark for Canuck management.

Lucic is as close as you can think as a sub but he's going no where. So back to my choices two free agents Colby Armstrong and Aaron Asham. Both players who can take a regular shift, chip in the odd one and play in your face hockey fore check ...plus likely reasoably priced
cheers
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

I remember Curt from the Kelowna Buckaroo's days in the BCJHL before Victoria.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Even at the end of his career, watch this battle of experience vs enthusiasm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN5aCGos ... re=related
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Fraser had an over hand right that was lethal, if he managed to get his right hand free it was generally lights out for the guy on the other end. The best fight was Fraser versus Willy Plett in the play-offs right at the start of the second period, They dropped the puck and Fraser whupped Plett
cheers