Hawks win it!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Hawks win it!

Post by Cornuck »

Since it couldn't be the Canucks, I'm happy it was the Hawks.

I guess I can admit now that before the Canucks, I was a Hawks fan. Back in late 60's as a kid I grew up up watching the Hawks and then became a fan of Tony-O (a fellow lefty goalie). Then for a while it was a dual allegiance as the Canucks enter the scene - and eventually they took over.

It was great to see an original six team win tonight (that wasn't Detroit). Even Roenick was crying.

It also has the be the oddest end to the season - when Kane scored. The NBC crew had no idea what was going on - how did CBC handle it?

Soon the draft, the awards and then free agency day... THEN some time off from hockey!
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Hawks win it!

Post by Jelly »

No one knew on CBC either.

Hawks had everything going well for them this year.

But it hurts to even think, Hawks, and Penguins, past two cup winners, both went to the bottom of the standings for years to get great players with their top picks, and now gets rewarded with a cup. But let's leave that for another thread.

Congrats Chicago, another team wins a championship before the Cubs.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Cornuck wrote:Since it couldn't be the Canucks, I'm happy it was the Hawks.
No offense Cornuck, but I feel like kicking you in the nuts repeatedly right now. :mad:
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Well there ya go.

I must say, seeing someone get to host that cup is as emotional as ever.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

fuck i hate byfuglin
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlMfV7A3V00

5 bc boys on Chicago.. !! anyone else notice the lack of swedes? 1 ? Good rough tough series..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Tiger wrote: anyone else notice the lack of swedes? 1 ? Good rough tough series..
I noticed that too..on the losing side. I also notice all the Canadians on the losing team. I wonder how this bodes for Canadian hockey?
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Nicely put Robert, but I think the key to Chicago's success was the number of Slovakians. Clearly.

A few points:

Philly was looking half-dead and about to lose when Hartnell scores off a double deflection out of the corner. Talk about lucky bounces.

What was with the 4-second delayed interference call on the Hawks at the end of the first?

Pronger repeatedly interferes with players that are faster than him - usually without penalty.

Briere, Hartnell and Leino were damn good.

Leighton let in two he'd like back.

Hossa is a horse. I thought he was impressive - Don't know how Don Cherry missed it.

It just had to be that bastard Kane. What did Toucan say about him? Unrelenting contempt?

Have we set a record for number of times eliminated by the eventual Cup champion (post original-six era)? Crap.

At least 2 Hawks listed Linden as their favourite player growing up. Hossa cited Gretzky. Many named Sakic.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Madcombinepilot wrote:fuck i hate byfuglin
No kidding...seeing him swagger back & forth wearing the Hawks flag like a cape made me want to puke. Thinking of that, the way he taunted Lu after it was clear they were going to win game 6 and how he confronts the opposing fans after a goal...well he plays the fool better than the villain.

Was really pulling for the underdog Flyers but in the end I must concede the better team won.

Kane is a twat yet he's a formidable offensive talent.

Byfuglien is a douche yet he shows up big in the playoffs.

Niemi is good and not the worst goalie to win the Cup (must be Osgood).

Toews is going to have a helluva career.

Seabrook may just be the best all around blueliner in the NHL right now, guy does it all!

Sharp sure scored some timely goals; gonna be a big payday come July 1st.

I can't believe it, but when Hossa raised the Cup I actually felt happy for him. I don't respect his team-hopping but I do respect his desire to win and his solid play on the ice. Guy may not have been in the spotlight but he played a huge role in getting them there; who has depth guys like that?!?

Keith is just solid.

Easy to team to hate w/ all those shit-disturbers & agitators....but they could all skate and play.

Sopel won a Cup in 2010...and played an important role...wtf?!?!?

I honestly don't know how that team had so many albatrosses around their neck (Campbell, Huet) and solid core (Toews/Kane/Sharp/Keith/Seabrook), re-upped all the players in that summer 'offer was in the mail' debacle and still managed to add free agents like Hossa & Madden.

Hats off to them though for building a winner.

Gotta add, Briere had an amazing run....and Leino & Giroux were freaking amazing. Both of them should have solid careers. How much do you think Detroit regrets cutting Leino loose for pretty much nothing?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
trouble

Post by trouble »

Good for Chicago Winning the Cup..

This was their one big shot at it..

Things are gonna change come July 1st.. About one third of their players will not be back unless they can lose some of the salary they have now

Hopefully Gillis can swing a deal with Chicago to release some of that Cap pressure

Good luck with these salaries

Chicago stuck with Hossa's $5,275,000 cap hit for 11 more years OUCH
Huet with 2 more years at $5,625,000
Campbell with 6 more years at $7,142,875

Players i would like to see Gillis target

Ladd, Andrew. I don't care what you guys think, Ladd would look awsome in Canucks Colors,
Eager, Ben . Great guy to have on your 4th line
Burish, Adam
Boynton, Nick
Fraser, Colin ..Good BC boy
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Tiger wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlMfV7A3V00

5 bc boys on Chicago.. !! anyone else notice the lack of swedes? 1 ? Good rough tough series..
Oh enough of the xenophobia already, Lidstrom, Zetterburg, Franzen, Holmstrom and Kronwall proved everybody wrong.

We need a stronger D is all.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Madcombinepilot wrote:fuck i hate byfuglin
We all hate Chrissy more 8-)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

I'm only happy for Duncan Keith, ex Kelowna Rocket. Duncan is the third Rocket to get a Stanley Cup ring.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Well for me the great part was...Sopel earning some recognition, he was always a fav of mine and I often had trouble understanding why so many Canuck fans had a hate on for him. He played the system Crawford wanted and between him and Ohlund they were a great pair. Good for him always a humble guy, he's earned himself a SC ring some thing many others of that Canuck era will never do. In this series he was a top 4 "D" and earned his ice AND with Campbell back from injury gave the Hawks the opportunity to play Dustin Byfuglien back up front.

Good on you Sopel, you deserve it
cheers
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Sopel earning some recognition, he was always a fav of mine and I often had trouble understanding why so many Canuck fans had a hate on for him.
Victim of a close up. There was a game in the 04 series against Calgary where CBC cut to the rink-side shot of Sopel protecting himself from a hit rather than retrieving the puck against a forechecker. He'll never live that down.

Anyway, I don't hate the Hawks. I find Kane a little obnoxious, but they have a great club and it is always nice to see an original six team win it... provided they don't wear blue and white.