Hawks win it!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

trouble

Re: Hawks win it!

Post by trouble »

ClamRussel wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
trouble wrote:To add to Chicago's Cap problem ,Toews gets 1.3 million bonus next season for winning Conne Smythe
Just means one less RFA they can re-up, in addition to Huet in the minors, and Sharp/Versteeg being dealt for mediocre (sub-par) return.
How so? I was under the impression that all potential bonuses are already rolled into cap hit just incase they kick in. They're considered part of the salary.
Quote from James Duthie (TSN)

Toews gets a 1.3 million bonus for winning Conn. Because Chi was at cap, it will count against next year, so add that to their cap issues.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Well there ya go; I still don't get why it didn't count against their cap last year though as it was supposed to.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Quote from James Duthie (TSN)

Toews gets a 1.3 million bonus for winning Conn. Because Chi was at cap, it will count against next year, so add that to their cap issues.
I don't quiet understand what Duthie is referring to in respect to Toews since all potential performance bonuses payable by a team to a player count against the cap until it becomes impossible for the player to earn that bonus, it then comes off the cap but only for the year for which it remained unearned see (s. 50.5(h)(i) CBA). So any potential bonuses payable to Toews under the NHL Standard Player Contract are averaged out over the term of his contract and are already included in the cap hit as part of his average salary. Given that 2009-10 is not the final year of the CBA Chicago can exceed the salary cap limit by 7.5% under the provisions of the "performance bonus cushion", however they cannot take advantage of the "carry over" provisions since 2010-11 is the final year of the CBA, unless the NHLPA agrees not to terminate the 2009 CBA (s.50.5(h)(iii)) which they have yet to do.

Any money paid to Toews by the league as a result of Toews winning the Conn Smythe (Individual B Bonus) does not form part of calculation of his average salary for cap purposes.

Given Chicago's cap situation, one way or another, Huet ($5.625 mil) is all but gone either by trade or demotion, but Niemi (RFA @ $.8 mil) is in line for a raise. Of the remaining Chicago players now under contract an almost instant fix for Chicago's cap woes would be to move Campbell, but the amount, length and terms of his contract (an NTC with provision for a player designated 8 team exception) certainly mitigates against that possibility. Interesting times for the Hawks over the summer.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Just means one less RFA they can re-up, in addition to Huet in the minors, and Sharp/Versteeg being dealt for mediocre (sub-par) return.
It could be an opportunity. Sure, they're in a position of obvious weakness from which to deal, but they could be reconverted into very valuable prospects that could be quite a boon for them in a couple years. It's a loss, but it doesn't have to be a waste.

I think Pittsburgh may have been ahead of the curve when they ditched Whitney, if a player like Tangradi improves, they might have found a good top six option for Sid. Whitney certainly hasn't gotten any better since.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

I'm wondering if Chicago and Toronto could be perfect trading partners?

As we all know, Brian Burke loves the attention and is willing to sacrifice the long term for short term pizzaz.

The Hawks on the other hand, need to unload some players for prospects and/or draft picks in order to clear up cap space.

Could we possibly see Chicago unload some of their players to Toronto for 1st round picks, 2nd round picks, prospects, etc.?
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Could we possibly see Chicago unload some of their players to Toronto for 1st round picks, 2nd round picks, prospects, etc.?
Not many of those around TO these days.

They're still not really that well stocked with prospects either...
trouble

Post by trouble »

Farhan Lalji wrote:I'm wondering if Chicago and Toronto could be perfect trading partners?

As we all know, Brian Burke loves the attention and is willing to sacrifice the long term for short term pizzaz.

The Hawks on the other hand, need to unload some players for prospects and/or draft picks in order to clear up cap space.

The laughs don't have a first this year or next year plus no second this year either thanks to the Kessel trade

Would you rather have either Hall or Seguin and a second this year and a first next year or have Kessel
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Would you rather have either Hall or Seguin and a second this year and a first next year or have Kessel
It ain't looking good for Burkie on that score. I mean Hall/Seguin for Kessel might be lopsided as is... but what if the leaves suck again this year (a distinct possibilty) and that second rounder turns out to be a player? This could go down as one of the worst ever. Although, at this point, it could still end up a wash.
trouble

Post by trouble »

the toucan kid wrote:
It ain't looking good for Burkie on that score. I mean Hall/Seguin for Kessel might be lopsided as is... but what if the leaves suck again this year (a distinct possibilty) and that second rounder turns out to be a player? This could go down as one of the worst ever. Although, at this point, it could still end up a wash.
Ya this trade already looks like a very dumb trade. But thats Burkie.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

the toucan kid wrote:
Yeah, how sad is that for the leaves? Right now, the very BEST this trade can be for them is a wash. Tyler Seguin is most likely going to be a damn fine centerman in the NHL. Hall could easily be better than Phil Kessel, and probably will be. In the second round (32nd overall) the Bruins could be looking at a Jon Merrill (according to the Hockey News), Kabanov if he drops into the second round, Jordan Weal, Tyler Toffli, Brad Ross etc. There are a TON of good players still available early in the second round.

If the leaves suck again next season (they'll probably improve, but who knows by how much), the Bruins could be looking at three good or great young, cheap, players that will undoubtedly make them a top-tier franchise for a long time.

In other Leaf news, Dion Phaneuf is rumoured to be their new Captain. :lol: what a joke.