Wow Bettman is a condescending patronising weasel

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Wow Bettman is a condescending patronising weasel

Post by ClamRussel »

....just watching MacLean interview him; he keeps talking down to Ron...totally defensive, condescending, patronising and rude. Betcha he doesn't talk to NBC like that. Antagonistic as well.

Ron knows what he's talking about...it threatens Bettman and he can't handle it so he lashes out. Bettman perfers the softball lobs he gets in the US.

Totally smug. Whatta jerk.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Wow Bettman is a condescending patronising weasel

Post by Cornuck »

Wow Clam - it's almost like you're surprised! :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

No just beside myself to hear it so blatantly obvious.

paraphrase here:

Ron: This was good, unfortunate it had to be confrontational but good just to hear you.

Gary: What? This wasn't confrontational. <smirks>
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

He was an absolute ass to Scott Oake in one of the earlier rounds. It would be nice to have someone who would just say it as it is and not give a whole song and dance.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Linden Is God wrote:He was an absolute ass to Scott Oake in one of the earlier rounds. It would be nice to have someone who would just say it as it is and not give a whole song and dance.
Well he knows the CBC is going to be tough on him and he's just being tough back... doesn't mean the guy isn't a Smeagle-prick, just that he's prepared for the interview.

I don't agree with Bettman, certainly this proves that the players were right in the lockout and revenues were as high as the NHLPA thought they were. The rest, I felt, was pure posturing by Bettman (quelle surprise). "Yes, Tampa is worth more than that." "No, those teams aren't in financial ruin." "Yes, revenues are rising."

It's all garbage, did you expect anything less? If you actually expected THIS interview to be anything different than others (aka an intermission comedy show), you're retarded.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Scott Oake is about as much of an ass as anyone. I should say, he comes across as such on-air (I don't know the guy or anything)

The Bettman/McLean thing is the same every time. It's almost shtick.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

the toucan kid wrote:Scott Oake is about as much of an ass as anyone. I should say, he comes across as such on-air (I don't know the guy or anything)

The Bettman/McLean thing is the same every time. It's almost shtick.
So we'll see "Commissioner's Corner" when Grapes calls it a career?

lol
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Didn't he have a radio show for a while on Sirius?
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

One thing that surprised me in that interview was his desire to put teams back in Winnipeg and Quebec City before considering another southern Ontario franchise.
Perhaps he's realised it's not so bad having a team in a location where the population actually cares about the sport.

Then again.maybe he's just blowin smoke because he was on CBC
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

dangler wrote:One thing that surprised me in that interview was his desire to put teams back in Winnipeg and Quebec City before considering another southern Ontario franchise.
Perhaps he's realised it's not so bad having a team in a location where the population actually cares about the sport.

Then again.maybe he's just blowin smoke because he was on CBC
I think it was because he wanted to piss off Jim Balsillie. Basically saying that I would even put franchises in Winnipeg and Quebec City before I put one near where you want it to be.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I don't know if any of you saw his "interview" on VS, but it was pretty sad to see the commentators lob one softball after another - eg - "You must be enjoying this series" - meanwhile, Bettman does his best to look over-excited (but came off looks somewhat deranged).

Why bother?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

the toucan kid wrote:
Didn't he have a radio show for a while on Sirius?
Thursday afternoons he would be on the NHL network radio for an hour doing what he does best...skirting league issues. :)
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
trouble

Post by trouble »

I would like to see a Bettman interviewed by Steven Colbert.. Now that would be priceless
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

trouble wrote:I would like to see a Bettman interviewed by Steven Colbert.. Now that would be priceless
Lol. I am with you on that one.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

the toucan kid wrote:Scott Oake is about as much of an ass as anyone. I should say, he comes across as such on-air (I don't know the guy or anything)
Dude, I can't back you on this. I worked with the guy lining up interviews with troops during one of the Tickets for Troops games the Oilers did a couple years back. He was definitely a breeze to work with and really down to earth. Told me a story about how his son is an aspiring magician who does animal tricks, but keeps his animals at his parents' place. Having talked with him off-camera like that, I know his persona on-air is a put-on.

Bettman/Mclean.... it's the same verbal spar every time and it's more painful to watch every time. Why doesn't CBC line up the commish once during the all-star game and once at the start of the playoffs and leave it at that? I want to know the state of the league as much as anyone else, but any one of the other league officials would be much easier to watch than that pompous, slimy Napoleon-wannabe.
trouble wrote:I would like to see a Bettman interviewed by Steven Colbert.. Now that would be priceless
No, that would just be even more painful. Most folks who get grilled on there have a sense of humour. When's the last time we saw that from Bettman? Sorry, I'd rather see Burke...

Now, seeing him grilled by somebody like Mike Wallace in Wallace's prime... now that would be something to see, just to see Bettman squirm.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.