WHERE do the Canucks go from here? List your strategies

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: WHERE do the Canucks go from here? List your strategies

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

If the 5 ft 8 runt from Pitt Meadows is brought back to play for the Canucks next season I will throw up.

He had his day already. He is tiny, soft and he does not hit it off with AV. Would people really want to have this guy back if his birth certificate said Thunder Bay or Stockholm ...............Not fucking likely. I would take Wellwood over Morrison any day and I am no fan of Kyle whatsover.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Not fucking likely
Don't worry, that about sums up the whole situation.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

While I'm not opposed to the Canucks adding another consistent offensive threat to their top six like Martin St. Louis, why on earth would Tampa ever trade him for anything short of a king's ransom?
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Farhan Lalji wrote:I'm wondering if Martin St. Louis would be a nice addition to the Canucks team...
Yes, and so could a 1972 era Bobby Orr and a 1982 era Denis Potvin.

1972 Orr - Edler
1982 Potvin - Ehrhoff
Salo - SOB
Valet: Rome

Edler would be free to stand around mouth agape at having the incredible fortune to be on the ice at the same time as Bobby. On the next pairing, Ehrhoff would be able to wheel the puck down the ice while Denis held the fort down. Ehrhoff would be able to rack up about 90 points playing that style. And finally, Salo could ease into retirement playing reduced minutes on the third pairing, where (hopefully) his professionalism would rub off on the Roxy-regular O'Brien.
We trade Bieksa and his $3.75 million, sign Orr for the $400,000 he made in 1972 and Potvin for the $500,000 he made in 1982. We come out ahead $2.85 million/year, which we could use to sign Ladd, Eager, Burish, Fraser and even get the ghost of Cliff Koroll thrown in. Maybe even Chico Maki, too.

:mex:
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

levelheaded wrote:While I'm not opposed to the Canucks adding another consistent offensive threat to their top six like Martin St. Louis, why on earth would Tampa ever trade him for anything short of a king's ransom?
I don't think Yzerman has any intention of trading St Louis. His cap hit is fair, at least relative to his production.

The Canucks DO NOT need any more top-6 forwards. Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Kesler, Raymond, Grabner, even Samuelsson will need some of that ice time.

We need a defenceman capable of 20+ minutes/night, and some real grit at the bottom half of our lineup that can play more than 5 minutes, at the very minimum.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

We need a defenceman capable of 20+ minutes/night, and some real grit at the bottom half of our lineup that can play more than 5 minutes, at the very minimum.
amen brutha!

we need either Bernier to step up and play like the third line crashing forward he can be (or replace him), an improvement over Hordichuk (or Hordi plays 16 games a year against Chicago and Calgary) and more frikkin defenders...
Third line of
Bernier-CoHo-Samuleson
<improved Hordi> - Johnson-Ripper (Hansen/Glass when Rypien is hurt - Hansen can also play third line)

WE need a top 4 defender (with Willy avoiding the media, and both parties all clammed uip about his concussion because its a contarct year, I have no faith in this-- I ould like to hear from anybody on the medical staff).

So, Edler, Salo, Erhoff, Bieksa, SoB, Mitchell, Rome, and Alberts.. not enough. Every year, at some point and time 9ususally the most inconvienent time possible) we have 3-4 defensive injuries. So, we need to improve the 4-6 spots on the roster, and get a couple better porspects into the system or hop[e that guys like Oberg can step it up and play 10 minutes a night.

Another summer like the last one where Gillis signs/trades for 3 or 4 more defenders who don't suck would make me happy

... and if a primadonna bitch like Schnieder doesn't like the team approach, he can screw monkeys while sucking slough water in the minors, cause it aint like nobody isn't going to get hurt on our lineup.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Considering the salary cap, the cost of signing UFA's, and trades governed by mutual benefit to both parties, the likelihood of Gillis acquiring an instant back end for the Canucks that make them a Stanely cup contender are about as realistic as him acquiring Jonathan Toews for Kyle Wellwood. At best look for incremental improvement on the defence.

As far as our top six forwards go, so far they have historically demonstrated that they are great in the regular season and as the competition gets tougher in the playoffs their not good enough. Given the overall age and ability of the Canuck core players vis a vis other teams in the league and their relative developmental curves, the window of opportunity for the present group is shrinking quickly and thus far has peaked at the second round in the playoffs. I'm still waiting for Gillis's one or two bold moves that will make this team an actual contender.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Sid Dithers wrote:sign Orr for the $400,000 he made in 1972 and Potvin for the $500,000 he made in 1982.
Really? wow even by today's real-world standards thats good coin. Really goes to show how out of control sports/entertainment has become. At least Orr was taken care of; going back a bit the older guys got ripped off.

You know what, as a $2billion industry there is more than enough coin for the NHL to be very profitable in 30 cities...if salaries were more reasonable and ticket prices were back to affordable there's no reason for every barn to be sold out. As long as all 30 barns are at least in hockey markets to begin with, there'd still be truckloads of profit to go around.

You can sell one widget for $100 but two widgets for $50ea will get you that TV deal and sell more t-shirts.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

ClamRussel wrote:Really? wow even by today's real-world standards thats good coin. Really goes to show how out of control sports/entertainment has become. At least Orr was taken care of; going back a bit the older guys got ripped off.

You know what, as a $2billion industry there is more than enough coin for the NHL to be very profitable in 30 cities...if salaries were more reasonable and ticket prices were back to affordable there's no reason for every barn to be sold out. As long as all 30 barns are at least in hockey markets to begin with, there'd still be truckloads of profit to go around.

You can sell one widget for $100 but two widgets for $50ea will get you that TV deal and sell more t-shirts.
You have to wonder why the NHL doesn't follow the lead of the NFL, cautious expansion into viable markets... nah, I hear someone in Honolulu wants a franchise and NBC just might broadcast a game from there if there isn't a conflict with a horse race, somebody call Gary and get the deal done.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Well according to the Fourth Period Asham may be on the move to Boston
With roughly $10 million in available cap space, the Bruins are expected to go after a physical, gritty free agent forward, reports the Boston Globe.
According to the paper, the Bruins could pursue Philadelphia Flyers right wing Arron Asham, if he is available July 1.

Asham, 32, picked up 10 goals and 14 assists, along with 126 penalty minutes, this season for the Flyers, who are battling the Montreal Canadiens to face off against the Chicago Blackhawks in the Stanley Cup Final.

The Globe believes the Bruins might be willing to offer Asham a two-year contract, if he hits the open market.
And Philly is interested in Hamhuis, very end of article
June 13, 2010 // 10:42pm ET
Flyers will make numerous changes
TheFourthPeriod.com

Don't expect the 2010-11 Philadelphia Flyers to look similar to the same team that competed for the Stanley Cup this past week, reports the Camden Courier-Post.
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren will be making a number of moves this off-season and told the paper next year's roster will be different because of "financial reasons."

"We'll evaluate over the next 10 or 11 days," he said. "We're in a position to look at anything to get better."

The Flyers currently have more than $47 million committed to the salaries of 11 forwards, four defensemen and one goaltender for next season.

In order to free up some cap space, the Flyers will be forced to make trades, the Courier-Post suggests.

While the likes of Scott Hartnell, Simon Gagne and Danny Briere have been linked to various trade rumors, the paper hints that all three will be back with the team next season.

The Flyers are expected to bring back one of Arron Asham or Dan Carcillo, both of whom will command a similar contract.

According to the Courier-Post, forward Jeff Carter, who has one-year remaining on his contract that pays him $5 million, could be the odd-man out in Philadelphia.

Holmgren will be looking solidify his goaltending position this off-season and the Flyers have shown interest in Montreal's Carey Price and Jaroslav Halak, and Los Angeles' Jonathan Bernier and Jonathan Quick.

If the Flyers decides to stick with Michael Leighton between the pipes and re-sign him to a new contract, the Courier-Post suggests the Flyers could move Carter for a top-line right winger, like Florida's Nathan Horton.

The Flyers will also look to bring in another defenseman this summer, with Nashville Predators rearguard Dan Hamhuis expected to be a target.
cheers
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Arbour wrote:
As far as our top six forwards go, so far they have historically demonstrated that they are great in the regular season and as the competition gets tougher in the playoffs their not good enough. Given the overall age and ability of the Canuck core players vis a vis other teams in the league and their relative developmental curves, the window of opportunity for the present group is shrinking quickly and thus far has peaked at the second round in the playoffs.
I disagree with this. Considering Burrows and Kesler just had shoulder surgery and it was apparent to most observers H Sedin and Sammy were both nicked up big time, I see no reason anyone should be crapping on the top 6 forwards for this team. Raymond is ever improving, while the likes of Grabner and Hodgson will push these guys for icetime in the near future.

The problems on this team lie on defence and on the bottom two lines. I believe this team is about 4 players away from being a true contender. They are still a pretty good team which is a far cry from a decade ago. You add in two top 5 D-men with some edge and a couple decent 3/4th line players who can play pk and aren't afraid of getting their nose dirty and this team is right there.

Given Chicago will fall back a little due to their impending loss of depth, I see no reason to believe that things are as horrible as many fans think. The top 6 forwards of the Canucks are the least of my worries. I wouldn't mind seeing them tweaked with a Backes or malone type, but overall it's a darn good group.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Given Chicago will fall back a little due to their impending loss of depth, I see no reason to believe that things are as horrible as many fans think. The top 6 forwards of the Canucks are the least of my worries. I wouldn't mind seeing them tweaked with a Backes or malone type, but overall it's a darn good group.
Does anyone actually think we're in a bad position? I mean you're right we need some changes (I would pay FAR more attention to those two top five d-men than the third/fourth liners everyone is going on about) but this is clearly a good team. And you're right, a healthy Kesler and Burrows would have made a huge difference in the playoffs. Who knows to what extent, but it would have changed the series and probably provided us the bulk of the grit that everyone thinks we don't have.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I'd agree for the most part, but I don't believe we have enough net presence, I suppose at either end of the ice. There's a lot of goals scored from scrambles in the paint. Especially in the play-offs. We all enjoy the fancy or "pretty" plays and goals during the season but it's my belief that the number of goals like that diminish in the play-offs.

With Georges Laraque probably being bought out by the Habs could George become the Canucks Dustin Byfuglien or is he fore ever tainted with attitude problems ??
cheers
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

With Georges Laraque probably being bought out by the Habs could George become the Canucks Dustin Byfuglien or is he fore ever tainted with attitude problems ??
Laraque is obviously incapable of playing that role or someone would have used him in such a way already. I mean, he's had many coaches/teams so it can't just be something that hasn't been thought up. You have to be more than just big, there's balance and, frankly, you have to actually have pretty "quick" (not to say "great") hands.

Frankly though, I thought Luongo was having plenty of trouble tracking down pucks in his crease well before we came across the Hawks... and not everyone has great net presence. He just wasn't quick enough or mobile enough in that ridiculous sumo-wrestler gear he wears.

Hell, Detroit has plenty of net presence, so it is worth thinking about, but it's not about just bringing in a lug. Maybe someone should tell Bernier that if he wants to crack the lineup and not play in Manitoba (enough of a threat in of itself) that is going to be his role and that he needs to tailor his workouts and practice routines to it. I don't think we're going to find a better UFA, so lets hope he can do it, and if he can't, we'll have to make do.