Is Vancouver Ready ?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Is Vancouver Ready ?

Post by Jelly »

Well, for me, if there's a second NHL franchise, I might go there to watch "some" games, like the Canucks ROAD games...

Are the Surrey population willing to spend the money? That's the question. I don't think the Abbasford Heat are selling out every game, and that's a good indication.

Seattle might not be a bad choice, but again, it really has to do with the population and see how well those crowd turns up. Even the Sonics got moved, geez.

Southern Ontario could easily support another team, especially with how the leaves is ran, plenty of fairweather fans will change over, or long time sufferers. Corporate support is there, plenty of rich people with nothing to do.
But the Toronto Maple leaves will NEVER let it happen.

Unless... The owners own that new team too. Now that, is something to think about.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
trouble

Post by trouble »

LotusBlossom wrote:I don't see it happening period. I think at times we overestimate the capabilities of the fair city. If anything, I'd rather see a team possibly in Halifax over another one here in Vancouver. Besides, my loyalties would lie with the Nuckleheads. I just couldn't picture myself cheering for another team.

As for the Surrey comments, I find it funny coming from someone who hasn't lived in the Lower Mainland since the early 1980's to be making such comments...really.
Where do you think i Live?
trouble

Post by trouble »

Arachnid wrote:trouble, you need to get a life, really

NEVER going to happen

it's Surrey for chris' sake :lol:

Have you been to Surrey lately?
trouble

Post by trouble »

Jelly wrote:Well, for me, if there's a second NHL franchise, I might go there to watch "some" games, like the Canucks ROAD games...

Are the Surrey population willing to spend the money? That's the question. I don't think the Abbasford Heat are selling out every game, and that's a good indication.

Seattle might not be a bad choice, but again, it really has to do with the population and see how well those crowd turns up. Even the Sonics got moved, geez.

Southern Ontario could easily support another team, especially with how the leaves is ran, plenty of fairweather fans will change over, or long time sufferers. Corporate support is there, plenty of rich people with nothing to do.

Unless... The owners own that new team too. Now that, is something to think about.
Abbotsford Averages 3,500 per game. Not bad for a team that had zero time to promote

Ontario already has 3 teams or two and one that is supported by Ontario(Buffalo). That is why they won't get another for awhile. Alberta has two teams and BC has a bigger population.

You would think you guys would trust me by now.. When i came out and said Burke had both Sedins before the draft, That Vancouver was ready for sports radio and that Gillis had Sundin locked up.. All three of these i took shit on....Some people never learn.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Well put it this way....

If Toronto was pissed about having a second franchise in Southern Ontario, do you think the Canucks would welcome one here with open arms? We're not really the most historically successful franchise. We have a pretty good cross-section of fans from all around the Northwest (Yukon, Washington State etc.), and surely will lose a good deal of fans to the new franchise.

Basically, the Canucks would NOT be happy with a second franchise sucking up TV money, sponsorship bucks, merchandise sales, etc. This is a big money thing for Aquaman, and he's not going to want anyone coming in for a piece of the pie.

Plus... 3,500 for an AHL franchise is crap. The Victoria Salmonkings do that in the ECHL, averaging almost 5,000 per game in 08-09.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

the AHL franchise is a good test.

If the Heat can hold up, then maybe we can go forward with it down the road when my kids can buy their own tickets to a hockey game.

As a side step, I'd like to see the Moose move to Abbasford and the Heat move to Manitoba.

Closer to home! That'll bring up the attendance.

Canucks propects playing locally? As long as ticket prices are relatively low, it will fill.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Rumours?? There are no rumours.

Silly thread this is.. no way.
trouble

Post by trouble »

Robert wrote:Rumours?? There are no rumours.

Silly thread this is.. no way.
Acually this is not a silly thread.. You guys might think small potatoes but there are people in the lower mainland that have money and can see the big picture.. Should i have posted about it and asked what you people thought. Ya i think so but i thought some of the people here would look at the big picture. BC'er are hockey mad and they like quality Hockey and it doesn't get any bigger then the NHL..

As For Abbotsford.. Big Mistake was Getting The Canucks biggest Rivals. If it was the Moose there it would be Packed everynight. But 3,500 per game in less then one year is awesome with the baby flames

Would the NHL Look at bringing another team to the West Coast. Hell Ya. They would love to get Minny out of the Pacific and get a team closer to the Canucks..

Is Seattle or Portland ready for NHL.. Nope. No one cares about hockey there..

If a Stadium Was Built and ready to go in say Surrey.. The team would be playing there next season
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Let's assume that Surrey can handle a NHL franchise.
Let's assume that Gray Butthead would be willing to move one of the franchises down south.

So who would be willing to pay for all of it?

You claim that you know someone with very deep pockets, do you know how much it would cost to get a franchise up and running?

We're talking hundreds of millions of dollars. At the end of the day, unless that "friend" of yours has a billion cash sitting around, I highly doubt he can afford to do what you want to be done.

I'm not going to attack what you claim about the Sedins, the radio, or Sundin.

But I will tell you this, hindsight is awsome!

I had plenty of business ideas as well, guess what, I don't have the capital to achieve them, and when people come out with these ideas and make millions off it, I don't go around telling everyone that I thought of it first.

Everyone can imagine, but those who achieve greatness are the ones that actually do it.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

even IF these rumours were true, which i doubt considering you happen to be the ONLY one talking about it, i dont want another nhl team here. Closest team should be in Seattle or something. Not here. WHL teams welcome! the more the merrier. but really no more nhl til the rest of the cities that deserve it get one.
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

trouble wrote:
Jelly wrote:Well, for me, if there's a second NHL franchise, I might go there to watch "some" games, like the Canucks ROAD games...

Abbotsford Averages 3,500 per game. Not bad for a team that had zero time to promote

Ontario already has 3 teams or two and one that is supported by Ontario(Buffalo). That is why they won't get another for awhile. Alberta has two teams and BC has a bigger population.

You would think you guys would trust me by now.. When i came out and said Burke had both Sedins before the draft, That Vancouver was ready for sports radio and that Gillis had Sundin locked up.. All three of these i took shit on....Some people never learn.
Um, the Alberta versus Ontario comparison is silly. Have you seen the distance between Calgary and Edmonton? That's why they have two teams, a city the size of Edmonton in a hockey-mad province had no access to hockey, same can't be said in BC where the population in the Lower Mainland can be nicely served by the Canucks. And Ontario is just freaking huge, a third of our entire country's population there, and with multiple population centres with major corporate headquarters. You need to get a realistic appraisal of the foundations of a successful NHL team, and you'll then realize Surrey doesn't have it.
Mark
trouble

Post by trouble »

Jelly wrote:Let's assume that Surrey can handle a NHL franchise.
Let's assume that Gray Butthead would be willing to move one of the franchises down south.

So who would be willing to pay for all of it?

You claim that you know someone with very deep pockets, do you know how much it would cost to get a franchise up and running?

We're talking hundreds of millions of dollars. At the end of the day, unless that "friend" of yours has a billion cash sitting around, I highly doubt he can afford to do what you want to be done.

I'm not going to attack what you claim about the Sedins, the radio, or Sundin.

But I will tell you this, hindsight is awsome!

I had plenty of business ideas as well, guess what, I don't have the capital to achieve them, and when people come out with these ideas and make millions off it, I don't go around telling everyone that I thought of it first.

Everyone can imagine, but those who achieve greatness are the ones that actually do it.

Ok... Does JP ring a bell
trouble

Post by trouble »

Mark How big do you think Vancouver (Lower Mainland) will be in 5 years or even 10 years

In 10 they will be very close to being Canada's largest City..Canada and the World got a chance to see Vancouver up close and personal During the Oympics.. The boom after Expo86 was huge just wait and see what it's like after the Olympics.
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

There is the Pacific Colosieum...that would love another tenant......
If they coould improve public transit to the area...

Surrey :scowl:
come on..be serious

Delta :drink: :drink: :drink:
Ya baby
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

trouble wrote:I happen to know someone with very deep pockets and loves hockey
trouble wrote: Ok... Does JP ring a bell
Now, trouble, did you mean you know this person personally? Or were you just throwing his name out there much like you just throw your "ideas" out there?

Let's assume that you do know this JP in real life, and let's assume this JP is the JP that I'm thinking of.

If he wanted to own an NHL team, don't you think he would've challenged for the Canucks? How many times have the Canucks been sold while he has been living in Vancouver?

Your talking about building an arena, last guy that did that in Vancouver went bankrupt.

Franchise fee, building costs, furnishing the building, hiring professionals to run the organization (it's not just 23 players, couple coaches, and a couple scouts. There's hundreds, if not thousands of employees on the back end of a successful hockey franchise.) Then you have to look at salaries, with cap floor. If you don't want to be like Columbus and Atlanta, then you have to spend atleast above average, or even to the cap.

Expansion teams don't get the best players, they tend to suck. Attracting free agents? Good luck. So a losing team, gee, how high can your ticket prices be? So you have to look towards atleast 5-8 years of losing MORE money on top of all your expenses.

We're talking about close to a billion dollar investment. A large portion of which have to be front loaded cash to the league as a franchise fee. Then maybe contract breaking penalties for whatever team you move here, there's building rentals and tons of local contracts there.

Then you have to find a bank willing to loan enough money to let you build that freaking stadium.

If building stadiums was that easy, don't you think Detroit would have a new stadium by now?

It doesn't matter how much this guy is "worth", you can say that he's worth 5 billion dollars. That's all his companies combined. Companies are assets, and unless he liquidfies his assets into cash to help him build a rink and finance this project of bringing in another NHL franchise.

It's just nonsense that your spitting out.
Everyone knew Burke was after the Sedins at the draft.
Sports Radio was due, and mainly cause CKNW couldn't run a sinking boat to the bottom of the ocean for years.
Sundin? There was Vancouver, and Montreal. Gee.... let's flip a coin!

Sorry for some small personal attacks, but it hits my grill when someone tries to just say things out in small portions as if it's a known fact that it's a fact.