If Demitra is destined to stay here, would you consider.....

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: If Demitra is destined to stay here, would you consider.....

Post by ClamRussel »

dr.dork wrote:
Arbour wrote: So without the log winded analysis it is most likely the Canucks stand pat.
I sort of agree with Clam. Demitra has looked good with Slovakia (and Slovakia is better than their current 7th place). We likely won't get anything for him. If we're going anywhere in the playoffs, we probably need Demitra playing well to do it. I would keep him unless we get a great prospect/pick for him. He might fit on the 2nd line with Kesler and Raymond (with Demitra at center). Samuelsson on the 3rd line with Bernier and Wellwood.

I have been critical of Demitra, but on the other hand he doesn't fit with the twins and he has been injured most of this year (and last year in the playoffs).
Omg, Demitra has just been INSANE lately.....last game the guy looked like Mogilny in his prime out there. All I can say is he better play like this when he gets back to the Nux and AV in turn has to give him top 6 minutes and PP time.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

ClamRussel wrote: Omg, Demitra has just been INSANE lately.....last game the guy looked like Mogilny in his prime out there. All I can say is he better play like this when he gets back to the Nux and AV in turn has to give him top 6 minutes and PP time.
The game against Norway ? I thought Slovakia looked poor. I was at the game, and I had low seats more or less behind the Norway goalie in periods 1-3, and I didn't think Demitra (or any of the Slovaks) had a great game. They were going for the perfect play, but when you play Norway sometimes the simpler play is better. But I admit that when I go to a game I tend to watch what is happening outside of the cameras view. So I miss a lot.

But it is good that Demitra has played well. Either he will help the canucks down the stretch and into the playoffs or if we have to trade him for cap or other reasons the return will be higher.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

dr.dork wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: Omg, Demitra has just been INSANE lately.....last game the guy looked like Mogilny in his prime out there. All I can say is he better play like this when he gets back to the Nux and AV in turn has to give him top 6 minutes and PP time.
The game against Norway ? I thought Slovakia looked poor. I was at the game, and I had low seats more or less behind the Norway goalie in periods 1-3, and I didn't think Demitra (or any of the Slovaks) had a great game. They were going for the perfect play, but when you play Norway sometimes the simpler play is better. But I admit that when I go to a game I tend to watch what is happening outside of the cameras view. So I miss a lot.

But it is good that Demitra has played well. Either he will help the canucks down the stretch and into the playoffs or if we have to trade him for cap or other reasons the return will be higher.
Well I hope for the former, the latter now seems at least a possibility as his recent play has to have piqued interest.

I must admit I haven't watch the Slovaks religiously but it seems whenever I tune in Demitra is one of the top players and looks every bit as effective as Hossa or Gaborik if not moreso. I was flipping around but everytime I went to the game Demitra was making something happen which is all I'd ask of a player like him. Two that stand out in particular was his Mogilny-esque saucer pass on that 2(or 3?)on 1 which resulted in a goal and then his rocket slapper to the top shelf. I seriously didn't know he still had that kind of a shot in him esp after all the shoulder surgeries. Thinking he can carry this into the Nux playoff drive is probably a pipe-dream but what do we have w/o him? Not much. If he can deliver the goods it might just be what we need to put us over the edge into the legitimate contender category.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Isn't that the answer though Clam? He's playing with Gaborik etc. that not going to be his role here.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

the toucan kid wrote:Isn't that the answer though Clam? He's playing with Gaborik etc. that not going to be his role here.
He might be playing with Gaborik on the powerplay but he is centering a line with the Hossa brothers during 5 on 5 (from what I have seen). I was at both the Slovakia-Latvia and Slovakia-Norway games so I watched the whole games. He has looked very good from what I have seen, although the whole Slovak team seemed a bit flat against Norway.

He doesn't fit with the twins, but perhaps he is a better fit with Raymond and Kesler (compared to Samuelsson, although Samuelsson has been OK on that line). Maybe we can move Demitra for a pick and use that pick to get a big 3rd line center.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

dr.dork wrote:
the toucan kid wrote:Isn't that the answer though Clam? He's playing with Gaborik etc. that not going to be his role here.
He might be playing with Gaborik on the powerplay but he is centering a line with the Hossa brothers during 5 on 5 (from what I have seen). I was at both the Slovakia-Latvia and Slovakia-Norway games so I watched the whole games. He has looked very good from what I have seen, although the whole Slovak team seemed a bit flat against Norway.

He doesn't fit with the twins, but perhaps he is a better fit with Raymond and Kesler (compared to Samuelsson, although Samuelsson has been OK on that line). Maybe we can move Demitra for a pick and use that pick to get a big 3rd line center.
On a side note, Samuelsson will sure have a smug grin on his chops now that he was proven right. The ViKings are nothing without him and are o u t.

Anyone see any Sweden games? How did the twin towers do? I heard nothing.

Co Ganada Co!
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
hamiltoncanucks
CC Veteran

Post by hamiltoncanucks »

Ive watched some Swedish games and the Twins have been average. They have dominated a few shifts with their cycle but havent really attacked the net. Biggest reason for the Twins weak olympics has to be weinhandle or however you spell it. The Twins have worked magic and set him up in the slot steady only to have him fan or shoot wide consistently.

Back to the subject at hand tho, Demitra needs top 6 minutes to be effective coming back to the Canucks to play with Wellwood and Bernier will not have him producing like he does with Gaborik or Hossa. Put Demitra with Kesler and Raymond get rid of Wellwood and acquire a 3rd line centre to play with Samuelsson and Bernier.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Whats the answer if he stays here? Certainly not playing w/ Wellwood & Bernier and getting NO powerplay time. The guy has shown what he can do with quality linemates. He had alot of chemistry w/ Sundin & Kesler last year, perhaps he can revive some of that w/ Raymond & Kesler. Who knows, perhaps he'd do better w/ the Twins now that he's more familiar w/ their style of play. If Burrows struggles there at least that option is there.Samuelsson is a solid 3rd liner and yes we do need a center for that line.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

No I meant, the answer for his production. Sure if he gets to play with Hossa or Gaborik or Sundin he can get his points, however that's not likely to happen here. I actually didn't see any chemistry with Kesler, he just managed to cycle the puck well on the power play, where that unit was REALLY effective last year. That said, yes Demitra should be on our PP without a doubt.

There's no way he gets moved.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

the toucan kid wrote: There's no way he gets moved.
Why ? With Bieksa hurting, Mitchell with scrambled brains, and Salo one hit from the LTI list, it is hard to argue that this is our year.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Why ? With Bieksa hurting, Mitchell with scrambled brains, and Salo one hit from the LTI list, it is hard to argue that this is our year.
I sure as hell ain't. More that no one will want him.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

the toucan kid wrote:
I sure as hell ain't. More that no one will want him.
Rangers maybe... to play with Gaborik. Boston is rumored to be looking for offence for the playoff run and have draft picks to spare...
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Arbour wrote: Rangers maybe... to play with Gaborik. Boston is rumored to be looking for offence for the playoff run and have draft picks to spare...
And Demitra played very well in a losing cause tonight. 1 goal and an assist, and he looked good again. I was at the game so I couldn't see replays but to me it looked like the refs wanted the Finns to win.

I would move him for a good pick or prospect, otherwise keep him and hope we find a spot on the 2nd line for him. If nothing else he has proven he can still play (with the right linemates). He actually looked better than Hossa ...
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

Demitra shouls be given a standing ovation when he gets back.
The heart he displayed was amazing.
I couldn't stand him as a playe before....
Lets show this dude some SERIOUS support...if he plays even %70 percent of what we saw in this tournament...we got ourselves a player.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

What did Gord Miller call it, the Martin Rucinsky award? I suspect we'll be getting the Demitra we know and don't love back this week. That said, you had to love that moment during the handshakes between him and Luongo.

If either of those teams Arbour mentioned want to give us a pick or prospect, I'm still all for it. That said we're days away from the deadline as is, so it's got to come together quick.