Hansen, UFA

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Hansen, UFA

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

MarkMM wrote:I don't think it's necessarily a Bernier or Hansen going into next year, there will likely be room for both with Demitra leaving.
But with Kesler due for a new contract, I'd think priority would be to lock down the second-line C role before paying for third and fourth line wingers...
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

Hopefully he's not asking for the moon... afterall he's not got that many goals... the numbers I'm hearing are up in super star status.. :o
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I don't think Bernier could have scored that Hansen short handed goal against Florida.
cheers
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Fred wrote:I don't think Bernier could have scored that Hansen short handed goal against Florida.
I'm rapidly beginning to favour Hansen over Bernier. The only thing Bernier has going for him is his size and game is more suited to the playoffs (which is obviously a big consideration).
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I'm rapidly beginning to favour Hansen over Bernier. The only thing Bernier has going for him is his size and game is more suited to the playoffs (which is obviously a big consideration).
Hansen has been treated like shit here. He's been nothing but the IDEAL third liner since he got here. Too bad a waste of space like Bernier has the guaranteed money.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
MarkMM wrote:I don't think it's necessarily a Bernier or Hansen going into next year, there will likely be room for both with Demitra leaving.
But with Kesler due for a new contract, I'd think priority would be to lock down the second-line C role before paying for third and fourth line wingers...
Hansen has only earned a 10% raise from his league minimum. That is not likely to interfere with Kesler's contract. And if it does, we need a new Capologist. :)

Hansen imo has earned another year on the bottom 6.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

the toucan kid wrote:
Hansen has been treated like shit here. He's been nothing but the IDEAL third liner since he got here. Too bad a waste of space like Bernier has the guaranteed money.

Too bad for Hansen that he's not a UFA, he would undoubtedly be picked up by someone else and maybe treated a little better. I agree that he's been treated like shit here and IMO he doesn't deserve it. He always plays hard and does his best in the limited role he's given to play.
I think he could provide much more if given the chance on a regular basis.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

woodhog wrote:
the toucan kid wrote:

Too bad for Hansen that he's not a UFA, he would undoubtedly be picked up by someone else and maybe treated a little better. I agree that he's been treated like shit here and IMO he doesn't deserve it. He always plays hard and does his best in the limited role he's given to play.
I think he could provide much more if given the chance on a regular basis.
I tend to agree. Hansen could show a lot better. But, if Grabner and Hodson make the lineup next season, our bottom 6 is in for a complete (and necessary) overhaul. Hansen might be trade bait.

Is it too much to ask for an upgrade on either Hordi or Johnson, who can play the same roles, but also score 7 or 8 goals a year???
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Cannie
CC Veteran

Post by Cannie »

We have 3 prospects that could significantly improve our bottom 6 depth next year: Grabner, Hodgson (the big wildcard - he could be Duchene 2.0 for us) and Schroeder. Hordi, Wellwood, Glass, Bernier, RyJohnson, all those guys will be jettisoned. It's a shame none of them stepped up this year, with such a healthy forward crew, it should be a strength.

Cannie
:towel: :towel: :towel: GO CANUCKS GO!!! :towel: :towel: :towel:
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Cannie wrote:We have 3 prospects that could significantly improve our bottom 6 depth next year: Grabner, Hodgson (the big wildcard - he could be Duchene 2.0 for us) and Schroeder. Hordi, Wellwood, Glass, Bernier, RyJohnson, all those guys will be jettisoned. It's a shame none of them stepped up this year, with such a healthy forward crew, it should be a strength.

Cannie

I'm not sure Glass belongs on your list of players who haven't stepped up this year.
At least he has more than a few goals (5 so far), should end up with well over 100 PIMs (mostly from fights) and he's a plus 8. I kind of like him. It may be a stretch playing him on the 3rd line, but he's more than pulled his weight as a 4th liner, unlike the rest on your list.
Cannie
CC Veteran

Post by Cannie »

I'm not sure Glass belongs on your list of players who haven't stepped up this year.
At least he has more than a few goals (5 so far), should end up with well over 100 PIMs (mostly from fights) and he's a plus 8. I kind of like him. It may be a stretch playing him on the 3rd line, but he's more than pulled his weight as a 4th liner, unlike the rest on your list

Tanner Glass reminds me of those red-shirted disposable extras in the old Star Trek episodes. I'm sure he's a fine young man, and a passable hockey player, but he has no upside, he's not big and/or tough, and he is ultimately going to be replaced.

Cannie
:towel: :towel: :towel: GO CANUCKS GO!!! :towel: :towel: :towel:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Cannie wrote: Tanner Glass reminds me of those red-shirted disposable extras in the old Star Trek episodes. I'm sure he's a fine young man, and a passable hockey player, but he has no upside, he's not big and/or tough, and he is ultimately going to be replaced.

Cannie
Replaced by what? Another Tanner Glass? There is no need to replace him. He's a fourth liner playing on our third line, but once we get some more depth at forward, he'll still be great on our fourth line. He's not a goon, but he can actually play the game and play it with some serious grit and toughness. IMO he's very valuable to the Canucks, certainly at his salary and what he's done for us this season.

Oh yeah... he's got 40+ more hits than anyone else on the roster. He's 22nd amongst forwards in this regard.

The way Glass plays makes me think that he might be the only guy on our team (maybe Rypien too) that realizes they're making $500K/year to play a sport, and rarely takes a shift off to keep doing so. We could use more of that on this team.
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Cannie wrote: Tanner Glass reminds me of those red-shirted disposable extras in the old Star Trek episodes. I'm sure he's a fine young man, and a passable hockey player, but he has no upside, he's not big and/or tough, and he is ultimately going to be replaced.

Cannie
Replaced by what? Another Tanner Glass? There is no need to replace him. He's a fourth liner playing on our third line, but once we get some more depth at forward, he'll still be great on our fourth line. He's not a goon, but he can actually play the game and play it with some serious grit and toughness. IMO he's very valuable to the Canucks, certainly at his salary and what he's done for us this season.

Oh yeah... he's got 40+ more hits than anyone else on the roster. He's 22nd amongst forwards in this regard.

The way Glass plays makes me think that he might be the only guy on our team (maybe Rypien too) that realizes they're making $500K/year to play a sport, and rarely takes a shift off to keep doing so. We could use more of that on this team.
Agreed.
Mark
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

MarkMM wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: The way Glass plays makes me think that he might be the only guy on our team (maybe Rypien too) that realizes they're making $500K/year to play a sport, and rarely takes a shift off to keep doing so. We could use more of that on this team.
Agreed.
Keep Rypien and Glass. Maybe Hordichuk too, but he should be sitting for 30 (or so) games.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

dr.dork wrote:
MarkMM wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: The way Glass plays makes me think that he might be the only guy on our team (maybe Rypien too) that realizes they're making $500K/year to play a sport, and rarely takes a shift off to keep doing so. We could use more of that on this team.
Agreed.
Keep Rypien and Glass. Maybe Hordichuk too, but he should be sitting for 30 (or so) games.
Yeah... I'm actually in favor of keeping Hordichuk also. I like having the ability to insert a tough guy in now and again, and everyone knows Rypien is not a true heavyweight (I'd also like to see him last a few years without getting murdered on the ice). The way Hordichuk went after Boogaard after his hit on Kesler, love it.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Grabner
Samuelsson-Hodgson-Hansen
Glass-????-Rypien
Hordichuk

To me that has the makeup of a pretty talented and balanced team. AV has a lot of options to work with on this one. I wouldn't lament the loss of Bernier so much, but if he is dealt in the offseason we really NEED to be looking for a physical fourth line center that can bang and possibly play in front of the net on the PP.

Scott Nichol is getting up in age, but also has 185 hits, most amongst Centres (8th overall), and his FO percentage is tops in hockey. He might be a good guy to replace Johnson. Certainly not the biggest guy in hockey, but I would take him on this team over Wellwood at this point.