Oberg

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Oberg

Post by Fred »

If he's the next in line for defensive call up that's frightening. He didn't look like NHL potential to me, but maybe we're early
cheers
orts
CC Veteran

Re: Oberg

Post by orts »

Just noticed on the Moose website that Oberg has been sent back to Winnipeg.

Yeah, he looked a little lost on the ice last night every time I saw him. Kind of a deer in the headlights. To be fair, it was a very intense game, and it must be particularly tough to be a rookie defenseman. No doubt it was bewildering to him, but it's good to get a taste of the show; his head must be buzzing.

By way of comparison, I remember watching Edler's first shift with the Canucks -- I think it was on Hockey Night in Canada -- and he really impressed me. He only played one or two shifts, but he did some little things right, held up his end of the defensive responsibities, made one good pass (I think?). I remember noticing Edler, and thinking hey, right on, well done.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Deer in the headlights is apt. Wonder whats up with McIver, he's a right hander to
cheers
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Fred wrote:Deer in the headlights is apt. Wonder whats up with McIver, he's a right hander to
He can't skate. I actually was kinda rooting for Baumgartner to get the call.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Oberg was lost, but not much worse than Rome. We're going to need someone else, maybe McIver or Baumgartner would be okay for a while as they have at least looked adequate at taking shifts here and there in the past.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

well it looks like salo and rome are coming back by monday anyway
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
trouble

Post by trouble »

McIver or Baumgartner would both have to clear waviers to come up, Oberg was the easy choice and MG got a chance to see where he was in his progress
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

jchockey wrote:
Fred wrote:Deer in the headlights is apt. Wonder whats up with McIver, he's a right hander to
Can Baumer get called up? I thought there was a stupid AHL/NHL clause that if a guy makes too much in the AHL, he can't get called up, or there is a funky extra hoop to jump through that basically hoops him and the team.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Tciso wrote:
jchockey wrote:
Can Baumer get called up? I thought there was a stupid AHL/NHL clause that if a guy makes too much in the AHL, he can't get called up, or there is a funky extra hoop to jump through that basically hoops him and the team.
I was under the impression that he was. He's making $550k on a two-way contract so I don't see why not. Grabner makes more than him and he's been called up before.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fred wrote: He didn't look like NHL potential to me, but maybe we're early
:? What is he 21 ? ........in his 1st pro season and still growing. What did he get 5 minutes of icetime in the most physical contest the Canucks have played all season ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

jchockey wrote:
Tciso wrote: Can Baumer get called up? I thought there was a stupid AHL/NHL clause that if a guy makes too much in the AHL, he can't get called up, or there is a funky extra hoop to jump through that basically hoops him and the team.
I was under the impression that he was. He's making $550k on a two-way contract so I don't see why not. Grabner makes more than him and he's been called up before.

I think he has to clear waivers, at a minimum. But, isn't there something about players who get paid too much on the AHL not being eligible for call-up? I don't know if this applies to Baumer.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!