Demitra starts to skate...good new for Wellwood

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Demitra starts to skate...good new for Wellwood

Post by Fred »

Any one else notice as soon as Demitra starts to look like he'll be back suddenly Wellwood is playing like his pants are on fire. Hustling, chasing ,shooting, making plays. I tend to think this is not a accident :D
cheers
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: Demitra starts to skate...good new for Wellwood

Post by the toucan kid »

Might be giving him too MUCH credit to believe that. Hey, I'm not crazy about either option for anchoring our third line, but Demitra is certainly a better one than Wellwood.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

the toucan kid wrote:Might be giving him too MUCH credit to believe that. Hey, I'm not crazy about either option for anchoring our third line, but Demitra is certainly a better one than Wellwood.
So when Demitra starts to play again, who falls out of grace ? It's probably down to Glass, Wellwood Johnson or Hansen. Possable injuries aside. Glass, Hansen and Johnson all kill penalties

And although I'm not a great fan of Demitra the team hopefully will enjoy some more scoring punch. He can play all three forward positions so he's flexable. If he plays centre on the second line that puts Kesler on the wing again, and that's where he did all his damage from last season.

Will Grabner stay in Winterpeg for the rest of the season is another question
cheers
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

About Wellwood. 6 points in his last 15 and is a +6 with zero PP time.
Not much more you can expect out of him.
I can't stand Wellwood anymore, but I thought I would give him some credit where it is due.

Regarding Demitra, It is funny how absence makes the heart grow fonder...I am actually looking forward to his return whereas last season he was the only player I couldn't stand.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I'd like to see both Grabner and Demitra up on the big squad. That's a lot of potential firepower. Grabner looked good on a line with Raymond and Kesler, and I think Demitra can certainly add a little more pop to a third-line with Wellwood and Samuelsson/Bernier. I'd rather have more talent than grinders.

I don't think the Canucks will go to a pure checking third line. We already see the Sedins go up against the opponents top lines, and I think you'll see the Kesler unit continue to do the same.

As for Kesler playing wing... considering he's on pace for another career year I think he's proven he can play well as the second-line centre.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

So when Demitra starts to play again, who falls out of grace ?
Well if I had any say Wellwood, and that might just be the case.
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I'd like to see both Grabner and Demitra up on the big squad. That's a lot of potential firepower. Grabner looked good on a line with Raymond and Kesler, and I think Demitra can certainly add a little more pop to a third-line with Wellwood and Samuelsson/Bernier. I'd rather have more talent than grinders.

I don't think the Canucks will go to a pure checking third line. We already see the Sedins go up against the opponents top lines, and I think you'll see the Kesler unit continue to do the same.

As for Kesler playing wing... considering he's on pace for another career year I think he's proven he can play well as the second-line centre.
Yes, I like Kesler as the second line center.
Demitra can center Bernier and Samuelson with Wellwood scratched until injuries occur.
I agree with you on Grabner also...that line kills, and Grabnerr has proven capable as a two-way player for the Moose, maybe he can play with Demitra and Bernier? who knows....Glass is a solid player but he's more of a fourth liner, who can play with Rypien and Hansen/Johnson.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
galiano
AHL Prospect

Post by galiano »

Kesler centering Grabner and Raymond had fantastic speed and must have been one of the fastest lines in the NHL. I hope Av puts them back together.

Demitra could center the third line of Samuelsson, Bernier, Wellwood.

Fourth line could be Rypien, Bernier, Hansen. Johnson / Hordichuk spares.

Don't know if the cap would allow this but it certainly would give the team a lot more punch from the bottom 6.
galiano
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

It would make the Canucks a helluva lot tougher to defend. That 3rd line has potential!
I would think the cap should be workable...Wellwood could be waived to alleviate the pressure up against the cap.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

Demitra is still a minimum of 4 - 6 weeks away from returning to play.
Assuming he does return in the next 2 months I see Wellwood either in the press box or possibly waived to the minors.
I don't see Demitra contributing much until the playoffs at best. It's going to take him a while to get going (if he ever does).
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

If Wellwood continues his good play (last 10-12 games) for the next 4-6 weeks (Demitras projected return), then you move Glass to the Moose (he is on a 2 way contract) to preserve our depth for the playoffs. This is Hockey. Someone will get hurt. I would like to have had someone of Glass quality to call up for 3rd/4th line duty, and Grabner for 1st/2nd line duty when the injuries strike in the playoffs... anything that gives us depth in the playoffs is an added bonus.

Too bad about Schnieder getting his panties in a knot. He would have been usefull (if he could have handled reduced ice time) for the exact same reasons..
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

If Wellwood continues his good play (last 10-12 games) for the next 4-6 weeks (Demitras projected return), then you move Glass to the Moose (he is on a 2 way contract) to preserve our depth for the playoffs. This is Hockey. Someone will get hurt. I would like to have had someone of Glass quality to call up for 3rd/4th line duty, and Grabner for 1st/2nd line duty when the injuries strike in the playoffs... anything that gives us depth in the playoffs is an added bonus.
Now honestly, I don't think there's a team in the NHL that doesn't have a player like Tanner Glass on-call if they need him. I don't mind him, but I have to believe we have a carbon copy on the Moose or that can be signed for nothing before the playoffs. Glass is the definition of expendable, which is kind of sad, because he's likable and dedicated in a minuscule role that only requires the bare minimum and the willingness to do it at the NHL level.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

the toucan kid wrote: Now honestly, I don't think there's a team in the NHL that doesn't have a player like Tanner Glass on-call if they need him. I don't mind him, but I have to believe we have a carbon copy on the Moose or that can be signed for nothing before the playoffs. Glass is the definition of expendable, which is kind of sad, because he's likable and dedicated in a minuscule role that only requires the bare minimum and the willingness to do it at the NHL level.
Maybe expendable, but also extremely useful. Organizations NEED players like Tanner Glass. Now does our Glass deserve to be a third-line player? No. He's a role player, a guy that should see the odd game but spend the majority of his time in the upper press box.

He is dedicated, and likable to be sure, and he's the kind of guy you need in the press-box to keep folks honest and motivated come game time.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Maybe expendable, but also extremely useful.
Lets say SLIGHTLY useful... even then... let's say interchangeable with a large number of people who could do it for about league minimum.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

the toucan kid wrote:
Maybe expendable, but also extremely useful.
Lets say SLIGHTLY useful... even then... let's say interchangeable with a large number of people who could do it for about league minimum.
You mean like Tanner Glass?

I'm not trying to say Glass is indispensable. Every team has guys like Glass on their roster and in their system. He's done very well, imo, on the Canucks this year. Is he a tradable asset? Probably not, all I'm saying is that he's a good, CHEAP (525K) asset to our team in a fourth line role. I think we can all agree on that.