Around the League

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Re: Around the League

Post by LotusBlossom »

BigTuna wrote:
trouble wrote:Also the Maple Laughs won both games in Florida.. Their first winning streak..
Thanks to their new 22 year-old superstar.
Would probably be nice to see more from everyone else on the team. leaves D leaves a lot to be desired. Hagman has a had a good couple weeks. Let's hope for Burke his gamble paid off, but again, no one will know that until most likely that second 1st rounder has been picked up.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

I might have to be careful in terms of bashing the city of Toronto. There's an outside chance that I'll be living/working there at some point next year, and so they might become my 2nd favorite team by default. :o Ditto for Montreal (although I have always respected Montreal anyways).
orts
CC Veteran

Post by orts »

Farhan Lalji wrote:I might have to be careful in terms of bashing the city of Toronto.
Let me assure you from experience that it's quite possible to live here and love the city and still heartily dislike the leaves :p
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Farhan Lalji wrote:I might have to be careful in terms of bashing the city of Toronto. There's an outside chance that I'll be living/working there at some point next year, and so they might become my 2nd favorite team by default. :o Ditto for Montreal (although I have always respected Montreal anyways).
I don't about you Farhan... cheering for Sweden then becoming a leaves fan?? We might have to kick you off the bandwagon! :lol:
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Cornuck wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:I might have to be careful in terms of bashing the city of Toronto. There's an outside chance that I'll be living/working there at some point next year, and so they might become my 2nd favorite team by default. :o Ditto for Montreal (although I have always respected Montreal anyways).
I don't about you Farhan... cheering for Sweden then becoming a leaves fan?? We might have to kick you off the bandwagon! :lol:
:D.

To be honest, I don't really 'hate' the leaves all the much anymore....if at all. It's been so many years since they've been in the Western Conference, and we hardly ever play them anyways. Furthermore, I don't dislike any of their players, and the whole city has had to be quiet for a numbers of years now due to them sucking so much. Assuming that nothing changes over the next year, I could see myself cheering on the leaves if I end up living in TO.

Team Canada was a little different. I had beef with players such as Phaneuf, Reghyr (if he even makes the team), Pronger, and Heatley. Thankfully, trouble's 'England/football' analogy brought me back. 8-)
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

orts wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:I might have to be careful in terms of bashing the city of Toronto.
Let me assure you from experience that it's quite possible to live here and love the city and still heartily dislike the leaves :p
Ditto that, orts. LOL I just love the illusions of grandeur the leaves fans have for their team. You hear enough of that amongst your friends, it's fuels the fire...just enough.
Last edited by LotusBlossom on Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

its brian burke that really fuels my hate for them
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Farhan Lalji wrote: To be honest, I don't really 'hate' the leaves all the much anymore....if at all. It's been so many years since they've been in the Western Conference, and we hardly ever play them anyways. Furthermore, I don't dislike any of their players, and the whole city has had to be quiet for a numbers of years now due to them sucking so much. Assuming that nothing changes over the next year, I could see myself cheering on the leaves if I end up living in TO.
The leaves were in the West ? Otherway around, Farhan. Vancouver was in the Eastern. leaves were in the Central and before that the Norris and the Eastern.

I don't hate the leaves either, but in terms of Canadian teams they are (for me) behind (in order from favourite to least favorite) Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton and Calgary (latter two are a tie). So they are my 6th favourite Canadian team. Would I cheer for the leaves over an American team in the cup finals ? Yes, but not very loudly.

On the other hand, if Farhan turns into a rabid leaves fan I may need to reassess my loyalties. :P
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

dr.dork wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote: To be honest, I don't really 'hate' the leaves all the much anymore....if at all. It's been so many years since they've been in the Western Conference, and we hardly ever play them anyways. Furthermore, I don't dislike any of their players, and the whole city has had to be quiet for a numbers of years now due to them sucking so much. Assuming that nothing changes over the next year, I could see myself cheering on the leaves if I end up living in TO.
The leaves were in the West ? Otherway around, Farhan. Vancouver was in the Eastern. leaves were in the Central and before that the Norris and the Eastern.

I don't hate the leaves either, but in terms of Canadian teams they are (for me) behind (in order from favourite to least favorite) Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton and Calgary (latter two are a tie). So they are my 6th favourite Canadian team. Would I cheer for the leaves over an American team in the cup finals ? Yes, but not very loudly.

On the other hand, if Farhan turns into a rabid leaves fan I may need to reassess my loyalties. :P
The leaves played in the Western Conference during that 1994 SC run. We beat them in the West final. If Vancouver was in the East, that might have been before my time.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

LotusBlossom wrote:
dr.dork wrote:

The leaves played in the Western Conference during that 1994 SC run. We beat them in the West final. If Vancouver was in the East, that might have been before my time.

When the Canucks first entered the league, the NHL didnt own a globe and placed Vancouver in the east Division
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

nucklehead_88 wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:
dr.dork wrote:

When the Canucks first entered the league, the NHL didnt own a globe and placed Vancouver in the east Division
Like I said, before my time.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

The leaves were in the Western conference for several years until the 98-99' season. They ended up there because the NHL bribed Ballard in the 70's to move there and it screwed the team over.
woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog »

nucklehead_88 wrote:
Believe it or not the NHL in all their wisdom left Pittsburgh and Philly in the West Division at the same time
(70/71 - 73/74).
trouble

Post by trouble »

This is unbelievable.. almost took his head right off.. What was he thinking?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOB_Lwpm3vk

Make a save next time asshole