Around the league (TO)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: Around the league (TO)

Post by the toucan kid »

It may prove to be a dumb move (the Kessel trade), but that's not synonymous with giving up the future. Burke didn't do that. There is no difference in having Kessel, whom he locked up, in the lineup at 22 and a 1st round pick of your own development. Of course there's no core, of course they won't make the playoffs, but Kessel is a definite piece to the future of any club in the league. NOW, is he of equal value to two first round picks and a second? Yikes, tough to argue that. In that way, probably a dumb trade, but it's not really a quick fix. If Burke manages to surround him with a core of young players he will be right on time to improve and succeed with them. He's along way from that point, to be sure.

What WAS dumbshitfuckingdemented of Burke was spending all that money on mid-career stay home defensemen. That's the one that is going to blow up in his bloated face.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

jchockey wrote:
BigTuna wrote: And again, getting a 22 year-old is not mortgaging the future. The chances of any of those two picks being better than Kessel is slim. Kessel is a present and future gain. He'll be a big part of the core for years.

Hell, the Habs gave up two former first rounders for the pleasure of taking on Gomez's contract.

And the Penguins got two franchise players because they went bankrupt. Won't happen to the NHL's richest franchise. For every Pittsburgh and Washington there's Columbus/Atlanta/Florida, where top draft picks don't help them.
No matter how you slice it, giving away picks is mortgaging the future. Except in the leaves' case, instead of waiting to use those picks to select someone to bring up through their system they opted for Kessel a player who they obviously felt was worth all those picks. Is Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin better than Kessel? Maybe, it's too early to tell. It just depends on how optimistic you are about Kessel and how confident you are in your team's drafting ability.

I don't think when the Habs traded for Gomez people were celebrating with their arms in the air.

The Penguins got their top picks for the exact reason that they were the league's worst. The Coyotes are bankrupt but they won't get the first pick this year. Even if the leaves are the league's richest team they will still be able to nab those top picks to get franchise players. Columbus has Rick Nash, Atlanta has Ilya Kovalchuk, and Florida had Jovanovski and Bouwmeester. They are top pick players that have really kept those franchises afloat. There are still tons of problems with those franchises but I don't see how their top picks didn't help them.

Most people are assuming The leaves gave away a top 3 pick. If they did, then yes, the trade doesn't look too good. Personally, i'll be very suprised if that pick ends up in the top 3. Look at their points since Gustavsson got back from injury and took over. They're not close to being as bad as they showed the first 10 games of the season.

And remember the mess with the Penguins? They "Sold" superstars like Jagr and Kovalev for nothing. Not even good prospects, Just guys making the minimum. The Coyotees were rebuilding for years before they went bankrupt. They have a solid core to build on so they won't be that bad. The Pens were forced into their situation because of $.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

BigTuna wrote:

Most people are assuming The leaves gave away a top 3 pick. If they did, then yes, the trade doesn't look too good. Personally, i'll be very suprised if that pick ends up in the top 3. Look at their points since Gustavsson got back from injury and took over. They're not close to being as bad as they showed the first 10 games of the season.

And remember the mess with the Penguins? They "Sold" superstars like Jagr and Kovalev for nothing. Not even good prospects, Just guys making the minimum. The Coyotees were rebuilding for years before they went bankrupt. They have a solid core to build on so they won't be that bad. The Pens were forced into their situation because of $.
Yes Gustavsson has looked good...

Both those teams you speak of had no financial backing like the leaves...so what's their excuse for being totally shitty since the lockout? ;)

I'm agreement with the whole Kessel thing. I don't think Burke has exactly "mortgaged the future on him. In the last couple outings, Kessel has looked good and will find his 'legs' if you will and get aboard with team philosophy.

I think the problem is everything that is done in TO is magnified x100 in terms of hockey news. It wasn't that long ago that a few of us here were calling for drastic measures in our line-up at the beginning of the season. Now all that is well is Nucks land..back to bashing the leaves ;).

That being all said...I still feel that it was a steep price to pay for Kessel...two first rounders... I would have asked for 1 first rounder and Jeff Finger. But their bargaining chips were limited so Burke gave them two.

It's a long season still... it's just a matter of seeing how things unfold. Still not convinced Ron Wilson is the guy for that job in TO...but I'm an outsider looking in.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

I would say that if Burke didn't go out and get Gustavsson, Bozak and Hanson in the off season, which are three young players that you could possibly compare to those picks he gave up. There is no way he moves two firsts and a second. I really don't see this as a bad move for the leaves.. they get a proven goal scorer and he just turned 22... hell if the canucks could have got Kessel for that i would easily consider it. Picks aren't locks by any means, look at our own track record over the years.

I understand the thought that the leaves might finish in the basement of the nhl but i just really don't see that happening this year. As i said earlier this team had so many new faces it seems about right that it has taken them about 15 games to finally start building some chemisty. Also not sure if anyone saw the 5-1 win on a back to back against the Wings. This team isn't the worst team in hockey. Plus with the cap and parity in the nhl teams are so much closer now. Look at either conference and there isn't many teams that don't have a chance of making it. Lastly a hot goalie can go along way... look at what Luongo has done for the canucks or Anderson for the Avs. You can steal games you have no business winning as well as it can be a huge confidence booster. If Gustavsson continues to play the way he has and did last year in the SEL, he will very likely get calder consideration. He is a very good goalie. If you don't believe me watch some of their games. He actually reminds me alot of Luongo based on his side and lateral ability.

Anyways i just think its a very bold and unjust statement to say that Burke Mortgaged the future away and that the leaves don't have a chance this year to make the playoffs. But hey, thats just my opinion.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Broda wrote:Also not sure if anyone saw the 5-1 win on a back to back against the Wings.
I saw that. They looked good and Gustavsson looked good (especially compared to Osgood). The leaves started to turn it around when they (barely) lost to the Canucks.
Broda wrote: Anyways i just think its a very bold and unjust statement to say that Burke Mortgaged the future away and that the leaves don't have a chance this year to make the playoffs. But hey, thats just my opinion.
The word "mortgaged" was brought up by myself, but it was preceded by "potentially". In other words it is too early to tell whether he did or did not. It depends where the leaves finish, who is available, and ultimately how Kessel does with the leaves and whether he signs with the leaves in 5 years. If he doesn't resign, then the leaves would have probably been better off with the picks, mainly because the term is longer and the leaves are unlikely to win the cup in the next 5 years.

I said it before but I think the leaves will fight for a playoff spot but still miss it. i.e., 9th or 10th in their conference. They certainly have a chance as does any team in the east.