Clutch and Grab

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

jchockey
MVP
MVP

Clutch and Grab

Post by jchockey »

For those of you who watched the FS Detroit feed online like I did, the Wings' commentators I think made an interesting point about Ryan Johnson. They noted that clutching and grabbing had still been allowed in the league Johnson may not have hit the boards that hard. Nevermind that Lidstrom has never really been a clutch and grab player but the point still stands. As long as the league values entertainment over the safety of hockey players I can't see them going back to the clutch and grab. I'm sure the flexy boards at Joe Louis didn't help either.

It's a fair point to make especially when you consider the absolutely obscene number of injuries we've already had this year. Players are skating at such high speeds now that these things will happen and one day someone's gonna end their career like that.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: Clutch and Grab

Post by the toucan kid »

It's a fair point to make especially when you consider the absolutely obscene number of injuries we've already had this year. Players are skating at such high speeds now that these things will happen and one day someone's gonna end their career like that.
I tend to disagree. There has always been the occasionally ugly collision trying to beat out an icing or something. It's unfortunate, but unlike some of the areas where the NHL is sort of negligent about player safety, I'm not sure this one is really preventable.
nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Post by nucks_girl »

I agree with Toucan here. This was unavoidable. He just lost an edge on his skate - it happens. It's usually not this painful, but we're not exactly about to put bumper pads around the boards.

I don't see how a commentator can take something like this and turn it into a case for clutching and grabbing. If we ever went back to that, I would honestly stop watching hockey.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

I've been noticing a lot of bad ice at GM Place lately. From what I saw, no one was really touching Johnson, just caught an edge as NG and toucan have previously stated.

Unfortunate, but not malicious.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Well, they do have a point. If Johnson was allowed to be interfered with he probably wouldn't have gone in so hard. But so what? Everyone and their dog knows this "New NHL" is miles ahead of the old one. Speed kills, and things like this are bound to happen when players are going 100% and just can't stay on their feet.

Shit happens, glad Johnson is okay. It's going to really suck when someone breaks their neck and is paralyzed by something like this, but thats the risk I guess.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Well, they do have a point. If Johnson was allowed to be interfered with he probably wouldn't have gone in so hard. But so what?
Exactly. So what ? If they had to wear socks on the ice they wouldn't be enough speed to go hurtling into the boards, so maybe less injuries. But then it wouldn't be hockey. Even as an idle observation is is still sort of dumb.

People skating fast have a chance of going hard into the boards. Slowing down the game isn't really the answer. (No touch icing might be OK but that wouldn't have stopped this injury).

It looks like Johnson will be OK and we're going to miss him on the PK while he is out...

On the injury front, it looks like Salo won't be out as long as we first thought and Rypien is ready to return. We're going up a shale slope here-- one step up, two steps sliding back down.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

On the injury front, it looks like Salo won't be out as long as we first thought
Don't worry, he'll just re-injure himself immediately so he doesn't get our expectations out of whack.
Speed kills, and things like this are bound to happen when players are going 100% and just can't stay on their feet.
While it's true, Kesler and Raymond don't seem to have the co-ordination to go full speed and dangle, and often they just fall down and hit the boards. That's going to shorten their careers over time.
trouble

Post by trouble »

That was really hard to watch.. The Canucks will really miss Johnson on The PK and faceoff's
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Johnsons a WARRIOR... showed up for practice.. ready to go... !!!

Its hockey.. forget the clutch and grab.. people still got hurt..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

All very good points and hockey's a physical game and injures are bound to happen, you won't get an argument from me there.

I just thought it was a fair point to bring up because as much as the clutch and grab era was maligned I don't think I've ever seen this amount of injuries to key players to start the season. And in all honesty, although I prefer the cap era NHL I didn't exactly hate the clutch and grab either.