Canucks game against the leaves will be extremely important

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

I'll keep this post short and to the point.

The Canucks victory over the Hawks the other night was huge from an emotional standpoint...and it was nice to see Luongo and Mitchell have such great performances. Given the emotionally traumatic way in which last season ended, it was important for the Nucks, and those two players specifically, to make a statement to the Hawks....and they did....loud and clear.

Although the Canucks have looked flat so far this season, I think that ONE game against the Hawks could easily be a catalyst in turning things around.....that is of course, if they defeat the leaves tomorrow.

The leaves might be the worst team in the league, but they will come to Vancouver quite hungry and pissed off. The Canucks have two options...

A) Take them lightly (you know.....just like our scum bag of a team in 05/06 did when we played St. Louis that year in all 4 games).

B) Treat this as their biggest game of the season.....for the simple fact that if the Canucks win...convincingly, it could easily be the start of a major winning streak.

The Canucks, against the Hawks last game, came over a huge mental demon that I'm sure that has been haunting them for the past half year. A victory over the leaves will prove that it wasn't a one time deal.....and that this team is as consistent as they are talented.
nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Re: Canucks game against the leaves will be extremely important

Post by nucks_girl »

Honestly, we have nothing to win out of this game. It scares the crap out of me. If we win, it will be because we should be beating a weak team like the leaves. If we lose though...oh for the love of god, do not let us lose. Not only will we be losing to a shitty team (which hasn't shown much truculence btw) but we would be the first ones to lose against them! Oh for shame. Nothing to win, everything to lose. :bang:
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

replace leaves with Oilers

leaves have one point so far, it wouldn`t be surprising if we beat them, but on the end of a back to back, to the Oilers who we lost to a few days ago, would be much more, `important``
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

In October....1970 the Canucks won their first game.... :) Yep you guessed... against the leaves ! Looking for a 40 year anniversary of that game tomorrow.. Main object of the game is just o piss of Burke !!

Goooooooo Nucks.....
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I don't care about the effect on the team, but I care about the effect on the fans of the team. It would be an absolute embarrassment if the Canucks lose to the leaves. I don't want to be known as the first team that loses to the leaves.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Linden Is God wrote:I don't care about the effect on the team, but I care about the effect on the fans of the team. It would be an absolute embarrassment if the Canucks lose to the leaves. I don't want to be known as the first team that loses to the leaves.
It would suck. But it's not the end of the world. The leaves aren't going to go 0-82. Its always a blow to lose to them, regardless of how many wins they have.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Not to mention Nonis and Burke would love to win against their former employers.
nucklehead_88
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by nucklehead_88 »

i agree. we neeeed this game. with tthe way the season has been this year, this is very important.
"HE WILL PLAY, YOU KNOW HE'LL PLAY, HE'LL PLAY ON CRUTCHES...."

Jim Robson
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

I hope the Canucks want this one as bad as their fans.From my memories of the last 5 seasons or so I don't think their record has been very good against the leaves.

I saw Jim Hughson give a lttle pre-amble to the game on CBC news last night.He basicaly said neither team has looked that great this year and in the big overall league picture, neither could be considered a contender at this point.

Leaf joke I heard on the radio yesterday:
A man & his dog walk into a bar,man says to bartender "could we please watch the game here? My cable is out and I always watch the Leaf games with my dog". Bartender looks around at his nearly empty bar & replies"we normally don't allow dogs in the bar but this time I'll make an exception".Man & dog take a seat at the bar & proceed to watch the game,the leaves score and the dog jumps up on the bar and does two back-flips.The astonished bartender says"Wow,what does he do when they win"? Man replies"don't know,I've only had him for 4 years"
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Reality.. its more important to win against the Oilers as far as points go... But for me its simple.. I HATE THE F*ing leaves.. 50 years of enjoying watching them get stomped and looking forward to this game. Why didn't Hamilton get an NHL team?... coz then Toronto would want one too .. :)..

Goooooo Canucksssssss ( historical note.. first team the Canucks beat in October 1970 - The leaves )
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Should the Canucks win tonight? Yes

Would I really like to be able to rub it in the face of my intellectually underdeveloped Leaf fan friends? Yes

If we happen to lose tonight, does it really say anything about what this team has in store for us this year? Not a chance.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

the toucan kid wrote:
If we happen to lose tonight, does it really say anything about what this team has in store for us this year? Not a chance.
I'll have to slightly disagree here.

IF the Canucks put up a stinker tonight and also lose, it will demonstrate to me that this team is still very mentally weak....and are most likely in need of some changes. However - if the Canucks play well tonight and simply get outplayed by a desperate team, then that's a different story.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

IF the Canucks put up a stinker tonight and also lose, it will demonstrate to me that this team is still very mentally weak....and are most likely in need of some changes.
Farhan, you're a good egg, but I think there might be a crack in your shell. :lol:
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

the toucan kid wrote:
Farhan, you're a good egg, but I think there might be a crack in your shell. :lol:
Maybe.....but keep in mind that I suggested the idea of trading for Dustin Penner this past summer. 8-)

I also don't see how it would be illogical to question this team's character/consistency if they followed up their big win against the Hawks with a stinker against the leaves.

Again - look at the 05/06 team. Look how the Canucks played against the Calgary Flames that year the last 4 times they played them. Look how they played against Detroit. Now - compare that to how they played against a team like St. Louis. Comprendez-vous?
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Farhan Lalji said:
I also don't see how it would be illogical to question this team's character/consistency if they followed up their big win against the Hawks with a stinker against the leaves.
OK Farhan.... they did follow up by being completely outplayed by the leaves.. Luongo stole us a game.. now whats your opinion ?