The future of the NHL?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

jchockey
MVP
MVP

Re: The future of the NHL?

Post by jchockey »

Jelly wrote:My understanding of the US TV is that not all of those channels are free, but I'm not 100% sure.

If I was handling NHL, I'd get all the equipment sports companies, Nike, Bauer, Reebok, every single one of these companies down to the guys that make the tapes. Ask them all to make a huge batch of hockey equipment for kids, like 5 year olds. Donate it to, working programs, not for a team in Texas, because they'll turn them into Football equipment anyways, but to places like New York, Detroit, Minnesota, maybe down the Cali cities, I don't know.

Kids that are interested, often are driven away by the cost to get started, by the parents. Make it so that starting out, equipments are free and they get to be cycled down to the new comers next season.

Why would companies do it? Simple. Kids grow, need new equipment. Basic supply and demand. Create demands and you will profit!
That's a great idea, but even if there was enough equipment to do that you're still lacking one thing: rinks. The reason hockey in California and Dallas has caught fire in the last couple of years is because of the number of rinks that have been built. Austin just recently constructed a brand-new ice rink and hockey is starting to become huge there.

Hockey is an expensive sport and always will be, there's simply no way around it.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

With all the competition from baseball,nascar.NBA,NFL,college sports,etc.etc.,plus the economic woes North Americans are experiencing.It is just a matter of time before the NHL has to contract.
There is just too much to go around.
When Obama's trillion dollar "economic stimulus" runs out thats when the shit will really hit the fan.And hockey in the non-traditional markets will be the first to go.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Atlanta folds, Vancouver wins first pick, HELLO KOVOLCHUK
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Jelly said:
Atlanta folds, Vancouver wins first pick, HELLO KOVOLCHUK
Not this bad luck team.We were the 13th team to join the NHL and lost 1st pick on the spin of the wheel ( Perrault was 1st pick went to the Sabres. in 40 years we have never had a first pick.....Only finished dead last once (72-73) and that was an expansion year so we didn't get 1st pick.. Good thing there are 2 kinds of luck or we wouldn't have any at all...
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(