leaves fined for tampering

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: leaves fined for tampering

Post by the toucan kid »

I'm not sure this move will necessarily SINK the leaves, but it sure could turn the Bruins into something frightening. The Detroit of the next 15 years? We'll see how they use the picks I guess.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

[quote="nucks_girl"]http://communities.canada.com/theprovin ... edins.aspx

I can't believe they actually had the balls to fine the leaves. Never thought it would happen. At least we got them on the Sedins, if not the trade rumors. [/quote]

Not sure why you're suprised. The NHL last spring stripped the leaves of a fourth rounder for only paying Frogren's transfer payment.

This idea that the league wouldn't punish the leaves is pure fiction.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

[quote="ClamRussel"]Considering there was 3 specific cases and it was clearly deliberate to provoke and cause hardship, the league should have hammered them w/ the loss of a 1st round pick. BUT, Burke & Bettman are bumbuddies and that will never happen.

The NHL screwed over St.Louis yet *again* when they wanted to resign Scott Stevens w/ a $1.5million fine, a 1st round draft pick *and* the option for Jersey to swap picks w/ the Blues in any draft within 5 years. So signing Stevens cost the Blues 5 first round picks to Washington, then they lose him as compensation for signing Shanahan then they get dinged in the wallet and lost 2 more 1st round picks w/ one coming back including the swap........all in 6 six 1st round picks. Amazing they ever survived all that punishment.
[url]http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P2-8534000.html[/url][/quote]

The St;Louis case and this one have NOTHING in common.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

Please, make sure you don't have the "Disable BBCode" box checked when you post, otherwise your quotes will get screwed up. Again, you can change your preferences to have that box unchecked by default.
nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Post by nucks_girl »

Kel wrote:Please, make sure you don't have the "Disable BBCode" box checked when you post, otherwise your quotes will get screwed up. Again, you can change your preferences to have that box unchecked by default.
Kel, I think you've already told him this. Now he's just doing it to irk you :scowl:

Listen Fish, I understand that you have a great bias here because you're a leaves fan. No problem. But you must see that there is a possibility that Burke being buddies with Bettman played into this. It's a pretty small tap on the wallet considering what that may have cost us. The fact that the Sedins or their agent weren't asked if this affected negotiations with the Canucks is a bush move.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

nucks_girl wrote:
Kel wrote:Please, make sure you don't have the "Disable BBCode" box checked when you post, otherwise your quotes will get screwed up. Again, you can change your preferences to have that box unchecked by default.
Kel, I think you've already told him this. Now he's just doing it to irk you :scowl:

Listen Fish, I understand that you have a great bias here because you're a leaves fan. No problem. But you must see that there is a possibility that Burke being buddies with Bettman played into this. It's a pretty small tap on the wallet considering what that may have cost us. The fact that the Sedins or their agent weren't asked if this affected negotiations with the Canucks is a bush move.
Pretty small tap? leaves make that at the concession at the ACC night of a game. It's hardly anything to cry about. I think they pay their towel boy more than that in salary.

1) I don't see how this incident 'different' from the St Louis one. I'd like some elaboration on that statement, Tuna.
2) BB and Gary Bettman are closer than most think. I would not be surprised if Burke ends up Bettman's successor. Burke has agreed with many of Bettman's policies and procedures as a member of the BOG.
3) As far as the whole Anaheim Burke and Oiler Lowe incident happened, Penner was an RFA, Burke just felt justified to beak off for the sake of beaking off to someone he doesn't particularly like because he couldn't keep Penner for cap reasons.
4) If he were the GM of the Vancouver Canucks, he would have screamed hell fire and brimstone if the leaves GM was doing this to him.

All in all yes it's over and it sucks, but it's rulings like that that will keep Bettman a douchebag in my eyes. The guy runs the league as he sees 'fit', not for the betterment of the image and standing in professional sports.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

The guy runs the league as he sees 'fit', not for the betterment of the image and standing in professional sports.
there is only one statement more true that that....
but it's rulings like that that will keep Bettman a douchebag
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert »

This is *still* going on.. burke has truly lost his mind. Now I know why jen called the team years ago, they were both so bitter at having to leave Vancouver.

Anyone how now still thinks this all just a coincidence between burke and Vancouver is pretty naive.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Robert wrote:This is *still* going on.. burke has truly lost his mind. Now I know why jen called the team years ago, they were both so bitter at having to leave Vancouver.

Anyone how now still thinks this all just a coincidence between burke and Vancouver is pretty naive.
Yep.

And even if he is trying to deflect attention away from his 0-8 team onto himself, that doesn't really work. It just focuses attention on him AND the hapless leaves. They play Anaheim tonight, and Anaheim hasn't played well lately. The leaves are probably just what the doctor ordered (for Anaheim).
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

But what do you mean by coincidence? Of course Burke probably wants the Sedins because he knows them well, but am I sure that Wilson wouldn't have mouthed off if they were hot in pursuit of Gaborik? No, I think he would have said the same thing. Is it coincidence that he knew what our offer for Hedman may have been? I don't know, he still knows people that he would be negligent not to talk with, I'm sure, but that doesn't mean it was anything more than an accident that he forgot the mic was on.

I guess I'm naive, but I'm not sure there is a conspiracy by Burke and Nonis to stick it to Vancouver. Burke was shitcanned by a wholly different Canucks administration than the current one - Nonis may have a grudge, but as far as I know he's been nothing but a pro.

Does the league want to turn a blind eye to Toronto's behavior because the leaves are the biggest earners? I would suggest that, until evidence is shown, they just don't want to have to deal in public with allegations of tampering, they want it under the rug for that reason predominantly.

* I realize it's a bit ridiculous to be asking myself questions, but I do it to mention the point I'm addressing rather than quoting incessantly - so don't think I'm hosting an interior dialogue here. When I do crack, you guys will be able to tell :lol: *
nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Post by nucks_girl »

the toucan kid wrote:I guess I'm naive, but I'm not sure there is a conspiracy by Burke and Nonis to stick it to Vancouver. Burke was shitcanned by a wholly different Canucks administration than the current one - Nonis may have a grudge, but as far as I know he's been nothing but a pro.
Toucan, I think you are being naive about this. Lawyers are always extremely careful about what they say, how they say it, and who the say it in front of. To think that Burke didn't know his mic was on...I don't know how that point can be argued. I'm not a lawyer, I'm an accountant. But even as an accountant with a fair bit of insider knowledge of my company, I am extremely careful about what I say and to whom. It's always safer to err on the side of caution. Burke always knows what he is saying and how he is going to say it.

I don't think he gives a shit who is running the team now. He is bitter about having been kicked out on his ass and, knowing what I know about Burke, I think it really chaps his ass to think that Gillis a bloody player agent, has been doing more for this team than he did - and taking care of the future.

Burke has always been pissy, bitter and mean-spirited. Hell, that's why I loved him as a GM. But I think now he just needs to fuck off and start worrying about his own team instead of creating drama with ours.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Remember BB was an agent to, so I don't think he thinks badly about agents per se but might get p!ssed at specific agents and his best buddy Nonis was unsurped
cheers
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Toucan, I think you are being naive about this. Lawyers are always extremely careful about what they say, how they say it, and who the say it in front of. To think that Burke didn't know his mic was on...I don't know how that point can be argued. I'm not a lawyer, I'm an accountant. But even as an accountant with a fair bit of insider knowledge of my company, I am extremely careful about what I say and to whom. It's always safer to err on the side of caution. Burke always knows what he is saying and how he is going to say it.

I don't think he gives a shit who is running the team now. He is bitter about having been kicked out on his ass and, knowing what I know about Burke, I think it really chaps his ass to think that Gillis a bloody player agent, has been doing more for this team than he did - and taking care of the future.
Come on now, human fallibility makes that a little absurd. Remember, this is a conversation he could be having and should be having with his staff at the draft table... there was a mic on him though. Nothing about what he said was wrong, just that it was recorded and transmitted to the public.

That second part about Burke is pure conjecture, not exactly grounds for calling someone naive. You're entitled to it, of course.
nucks_girl
CC Veteran

Post by nucks_girl »

Toucan, it's more of the big picture. I'm adding up all the things Burke has done and to me, it doesn't equal a coincidence. To be fair though, I didn't *really* call you naive, I mostly just agreed with you :lol:

It just seems like Burke should know better than to say the things he's been saying. And though you can't blame Burke for what Wilson said, something still stinks there to me as well. Coaches don't say things like that -- they know you cannot talk about another team's player.
Jelly
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Jelly »

Quite a few years ago, when I was still very young, I got fired from a very popular coffee shop in a city that is on the other side of the globe, because, and I quote "We are letting you go because we feel that your knees could use more rest, and when you get better, you can re-apply"

I have chronic knee problems and who knows what else. Didn't hinder my day to day responsibilities on my job, and I didn't make any mistakes, heck I was the best employee. What did I do? I threatened to sue their ass, and they gladly hand over a good amount to prevent it from going to the media and the court.

Do I still hold a grudge now that I'm back in Vancouver? Hell ya, I never go to that chain of coffee shops now, even though they share a name, they aren't exactly related. I get my friends to stop going there, heck, I would tell everyone about this if it weren't for the threat of a counter-suit cause of the piece of paper I signed.

If I can hold a grudge, you bet your ass Brian Burke will do everything possible to damage the Vancouver Canucks.

And please don't tell them, else they'd ask for their money back.
This signature hates SOB as much as the guy who wrote this signature.