It's that time of year - Pick your starting lines

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Icebreaka
CC Veteran

It's that time of year - Pick your starting lines

Post by Icebreaka »

We all like to do this at the start of the season and inevitably we're all wrong. Lets give it a shot anyway.

I'd like to see this for opening night.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Kelser-Wellwood-Samuellson
Grabner-Hodgson-Bernier
Hordichuk-Johnson-Hansen

Extra forward: Parrish to be replaced by Demitra when he comes off IR

Mitchell Salo
Bieksa Erhoff
Schneider Edler

Extra D: O'Brien
I'm saying we waive Raymond. I'm done with waiting for him to develop
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: It's that time of year - Pick your starting lines

Post by dr.dork »

Icebreaka wrote: Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Grabner-Hodgson-Bernier
Hordichuk-Johnson-Hansen

Extra forward: Parrish to be replaced by Demitra when he comes off IR

Mitchell Salo
Bieksa Erhoff
Schneider Edler
On D, I would switch Salo and Edler, not that I like Edler better but I think we need to cut back Salo's minutes (to minimize injuries if nothing else). Or to put it another way, on D, the max minutes people I want to see are (in order):

Bieksa
Mitchell
Edler
Erhoff
Salo
Schneider

For forwards:

Sedin-Sedin-Samuellson
Kelser-Wellwood-Burrows
Raymond-Johnson-Bernier
Hordichuk-Hodgson-Rypien

If Samuellson doesn't click with the Sedin's then right back to Burrows with the twins. But I like this lineup because Kesler and Burrows have chemistry together and both are OK at finishing. Wellwood has his chance.

Rypien over Hansen. I put Hodgson on the 4th line mainly because I want to see him earn his movement up the ranks. And Johnson can certainly play the shutdown role.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Although the following line combo's will probably not take place, here is what I'd consider doing.

Sedin-Sedin-Samuellson
Burrows-Kesler-Rypien
Hordichuk-Johnson-Bernier
Wellwood-Hodgson-Raymond

That first line should be able to produce. That 2nd line will produce a lot of energy and grit, and will also have the ability to score goals and play good shutdown hockey. That 3rd line should be pretty physically imposing, and will also have a decent ability to play defense. The 4th line will have good skill, and should be able to produce timely goals.

These 4 lines would be pretty balanced. When Demitra comes back and then gets into his 'game shape' after a month or so, he can join the twins on the 1st line. Samuellson then gets sent to the 4th line and replaces one of those 3.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Oddly I agree entirely with dork, except for the Johnson/Hodgson thing, and that Salo will probably play more minutes.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Shirikov-Hodgson-Raymond
Bernier -Johnson - Rypien

Mitchell Salo
Bieksa Erhoff
O'Brien Edler

I like Hordichuk, but I'd rather have toughness on defence, and bring in more skill on the forward mix. We can role 4 lines, and have some great penalty killers on the 4th line.

Lukowich and Schneider are injury replacements, and keep O'Brien working hard.
Hordi and Hansen ride the pine.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

If he plays like he did tonight, Bernier should be more on than on the fourth line.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Bernier-Wellwood-Kesler
Samuelsson-Hodgson-Raymond
Hordichuk-Johnson-Rypien
Hansen

Mitchell-Bieksa
Edler-Ehrhoff
Salo-O'brien
Schneider
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

I find it a little odd that a lot of you have Kesler slated to play left wing. Personally - I say if the wheel ain't broke, why fix it?

Kesler had great success last year playing as a center and a RIGHT winger. I would try and ensure that he plays in a position that he is most comfortable.

I agree with Island Knucklehead that Bernier was awesome tonight.....and if he keeps his level of play up, then he should certainly be far more than just a 3rd or 4th liner.

My line of thinking tonight was also as follows: Perhaps the Sedin twins would be better off playing with a 'decently' talented player that was capable of playing GREAT alongside them (as opposed to a winger that was already GREAT in his own right).
In other words - guys like Burrows and an (improved?) Bernier might be able to consistently produce WITHOUT the twins. With that in mind, it might be wise to put these players on other lines in order to spread the talent a little.....since the Canucks are a little lacking up front. Using an extreme example, how awesome would it be if the Sedin twins turned Mark Parrish back into the 30 goal scorer that he once was?......or made a guy like Cody Hodgson look like a 23 year old?

Guys like Bernier, Burrows, Samuelson, and a returning Demitra would then be disposable to play on the other lines. Oh yeah - and we'd have Kesler! Every once in awhile, the Canucks could create a super line of Sedin-Sedin-Kesler.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Farhan Lalji wrote:I find it a little odd that a lot of you have Kesler slated to play left wing. Personally - I say if the wheel ain't broke, why fix it?

Kesler had great success last year playing as a center and a RIGHT winger. I would try and ensure that he plays in a position that he is most comfortable.

I agree with Island Knucklehead that Bernier was awesome tonight.....and if he keeps his level of play up, then he should certainly be far more than just a 3rd or 4th liner.

My line of thinking tonight was also as follows: Perhaps the Sedin twins would be better off playing with a 'decently' talented player that was capable of playing GREAT alongside them (as opposed to a winger that was already GREAT in his own right).
In other words - guys like Burrows and an (improved?) Bernier might be able to consistently produce WITHOUT the twins. With that in mind, it might be wise to put these players on other lines in order to spread the talent a little.....since the Canucks are a little lacking up front. Using an extreme example, how awesome would it be if the Sedin twins turned Mark Parrish back into the 30 goal scorer that he once was?......or made a guy like Cody Hodgson look like a 23 year old?

Guys like Bernier, Burrows, Samuelson, and a returning Demitra would then be disposable to play on the other lines. Oh yeah - and we'd have Kesler! Every once in awhile, the Canucks could create a super line of Sedin-Sedin-Kesler.
'you could put a fire hydrant with the Sedins and it'd score 30 goals' 8-)

Who What Where?
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Farhan Lalji wrote:I find it a little odd that a lot of you have Kesler slated to play left wing. Personally - I say if the wheel ain't broke, why fix it?

It's fun watching you "GM" on here Farhan. lol

Perhaps Gillis should hire you as a coach's consultant and show how to get the lines done :P
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

LotusBlossom wrote:
Perhaps Gillis should hire you as a coach's consultant and show how to get the lines done
What can I say....The GM blood is in me! (much to the chagrin or pleasure of others :P ).
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Arachnid wrote:

Who What Where?
Not so fast.

We saw how Jan Bulis faired with the twins when he was here. Mason Raymond and Steve Bernier also had their troubles (although I'm positive that both guys would do better if given another opportunity).

The Sedin's might be able to make a "good" player "great" (i.e. Carter, Pyatt, Burrows), but even the twins have had a tough time bringing out the best in 'average/below average' players.

That's why I'm interested in finding out how a guy like Parrish would fare. Parrish obviously has some scoring talent....or had scoring talent. If the twins can take a plummer like Mark Parrish and make him into the Parrish of old, then the rest of the Canuck lines will have more depth by default.

It's an insane thought, but I actually hope Parrish gets a shot with the twins during pre-season.....just to see what he does.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
Arachnid wrote:

Who What Where?
Not so fast.

We saw how Jan Bulis faired with the twins when he was here. Mason Raymond and Steve Bernier also had their troubles (although I'm positive that both guys would do better if given another opportunity).

The Sedin's might be able to make a "good" player "great" (i.e. Carter, Pyatt, Burrows), but even the twins have had a tough time bringing out the best in 'average/below average' players.

That's why I'm interested in finding out how a guy like Parrish would fare. Parrish obviously has some scoring talent....or had scoring talent. If the twins can take a plummer like Mark Parrish and make him into the Parrish of old, then the rest of the Canuck lines will have more depth by default.

It's an insane thought, but I actually hope Parrish gets a shot with the twins during pre-season.....just to see what he does.
OK, no need to Blair it out, there's a job waiting for you at MacDonald's

:mex:

Say it don't spray it
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
MarkMM
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by MarkMM »

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows/Samuelsson
Shirovkov - Kesler - Samuelsson/Burrows
Raymond - Wellwood/Hodgson - Bernier
Hordichuk - Johnson - Rypien
Hansen

Mitchell - Bieksa/Salo
Edler - Erhoff
Schneider - Salo/Bieksa
O'Brien

1st line, Burrows and Samuelsson have both experience and success with the Twins, see what works best this year.

2nd line, Shirokov has earned Demitra's spot (thus far), Demitra comes back to this line as he's had success with Kesler last year, with Samuelsson/Burrows being the remaining top-six forwrad.

3rd line, Raymond, Wellwood and Bernier had some chemistry last year, not a conventional shut-down line so much as rolling three two-way lines. Hodgson may beat out Wellwood for this spot, in which case we waive Wellwood (as much as I like him, we can't afford both him and Hodgson), otherwise we send Hodgson down.

4th line, Hordichuk, Johnson and Rypien provide us with gritty forechecking, an enforcer ability, and access to good penalty-killers.

Hansen has good speed, grit, is defensively responsible, and hopefully some offensive potential, he's definitely shown flashes of skill, so he's versatile enough that it makes sense for him to be the spare, on top of the fact that he is waiver vulnerable.

On defense, I'm mixed.

1st pair, Mitchell would be a lock for the first shut-down pair, either we keep Salo there because he provides a big shot, some mobility and is defensively solid, plus Bieksa seemed to excel last year when he was put on the third pairing without the pressure of always facing the other teams top-lines. On the other hand, KB may be ready to grow this year, and keeping Salo on the third pairing with limited minutes may reduce the prevalence of his injuries.

2nd pair, Edler brings defensive responsibility, Erhoff can also handle some defensive time while providing mobility and a mentoring role to Edler if we want Edler to expand his offensive potential.

3rd pair, again, Bieksa either because he may excel with less defensive responsibilities to worry about or Salo because we're trying not to wear him out, and Schneider/O'Brien taking turns, depending on whether we want to give Schneider a break or make O'Brien work for it.
Mark
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Hordichuk - Johnson - Rypien
Johnson and Rypien I can see, but why does everyone (slight generalization) still want a goon on our 4th line? I'd rather see Hordi on the bench, and get some skill players more ice time (Grabner and Shirikov come to mind). If we are playing the meathead teams like Calgary, then a little more Hordichuk might be required, but except for those 10-12 games a year, I think we have tons of team toughness this year. We should look at playing a good 1st and second line, with 2 3rd lines. Hordi's 5 minutes a game average makes him expendable, and a under-used roster spot too often.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Farhan Lalji wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:
Perhaps Gillis should hire you as a coach's consultant and show how to get the lines done
What can I say....The GM blood is in me! (much to the chagrin or pleasure of others :P ).
LOL mostly the chagrin...just play nice...and I will too. :) :P
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde