New Deal for AV?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

New Deal for AV?

Post by Cornuck »

Looks like talks are on to extend AV's contract.

LINK

2 Division titles in 2 years. He's adapted to trying a more offensive system, but can the new contract have a clause to cut down on line juggling?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: New Deal for AV?

Post by dr.dork »

Cornuck wrote:Looks like talks are on to extend AV's contract.

LINK

2 Division titles in 2 years. He's adapted to trying a more offensive system, but can the new contract have a clause to cut down on line juggling?
All his whacky line juggling is how Burrow's ended up with the twins. It is how we got out of the January swoon (although one might argue we wouldn't have been in it as long without all the line juggling). I give up complaining about his line juggling because every time I start complaining it ends up working (not the complaining, the line juggling).

As for the renewal, the players don't seem to have tuned him out which is probably the best sign of a warn out welcome. I would like a more offensive system, more forechecking and more (!!!) hitting (especially when it comes to the playoffs). I like that we were tougher last year, but the hitting is still down (other than Rypien, Burrow and Kesler). Someone (AV/Gillis ?) needs to whine to the league about O'Brien's penalties because ever since he was number 1 in penalty minutes (deserved) the refs are calling him for ANYTHING whether warranted or not. He probably deserves a new contract, and I don't care how long it is because it won't stop him from being fired, it doesn't come off the cap, and it isn't my money.
nucklehead88
CC Veteran

Post by nucklehead88 »

i like the plan but agree to the fact that the line juggling needs to stop, players have come out left and right saying that the reason they didnt work well together or didnt connect was because of lack of time to form chemestry and at the end of the season when he left the lines alone we saw how well they can look if you let them gel. plus its annoying that everytime we're down by two he hits the panic button and we see demitra with burrows and henrik (for an example) or ome dumb combo. that element has to stop, other then that good idea. :drink:

p.s. agreeeeeeeeeeed there needs to be way more hitting for out checkers....and dmen. i noticed bieksa didnt seem to want to kill someone as much as the year before and i dont like that. he's at his best when he's got that look in his eye like somene fondled his mom :twisted:
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

in AV's defence, once he found something he liked down the stretch last year, he stuck with it. the line juggling pretty much stopped in the last 20 games or so. I think that with the goofy injuries we have had in the last few years, and the adding of Sundin in the middle of the year, it just took some time for him (and everyone else) to find the right chemistry. once he found it, we really didn't see much juggling.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Not a bad move. I still think he needs to stand up for his players a little more.

The O'Brien case is one to definitely look at, but again, SOB had some very Special Ed-like moments out there on the ice.

Coaches can sign all the extensions they want in the league, but once the owner/GM or a combination of both decide to get ride of them...they just cut that money as a loss and doesn't affect what can be put on ice.

The Gillis has spoketh!
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Credit to where credit is due, AV did, admittedly, do a pretty good job this last year. That said, giving him an extension is going to give me nightmares. I do not want to see his reign in Vancouver extended for several more years. I am not going to rant on all the things I don't like about AV because most of you have heard me on that before, so suffice to say, I would prefer he were not given an extension.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

3 years on top of this one. Not bad.

I'm sure a lot of folks will piss and moan over this, but I think AV has done a good job playing to this teams' strengths, and proved last season he can open it up if he wants to (team finished 11th in the regular season G/G, and was 5th in the playoffs).
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Nothing against AV, he's competent. Can still can him whenever they want of course.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

According to this site, AV is getting more then a million per year and he's in the top 10 highest paid coaches.

http://www.hockey30.com/magazine/vignea ... par-annee/
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel: