Canucks have acquired defencemen Ehrhoff and Lukowich

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Kel
MVP
MVP

Canucks have acquired defencemen Ehrhoff and Lukowich

Post by Kel »

Go the http://canucks.nhl.com for details. Only gave up Patrick White and Daniel Rahimi. Wonder if that means the team is no longer trying to sign Schneider. What about the Sharks? Are you looking to add Heatley by dumping salary?

Exact link: http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id ... an-home-dl
Last edited by Kel on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks have acquired defencemen Christian Ehrhoff and Brad

Post by Island Nucklehead »

WOW.

Salary dump by the Sharks... but look at our Blue line now! Am I the only one thinking we RAPED them in this deal?

Mitchell-Bieksa
Edler-Ehrhoff
Salo-O'Brien
Lukowich
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

I think this means a couple things:

1. There's no more room for Mathieu Schneider. I think getting Ehrhoff and Lukowich means 7 NHL defensemen.
2. San Jose's dumping salary for some reason. My guess is for Heatley but maybe even Kessel, who won't be back with the B's.
3. MG said he wanted to acquire more defensemen through trade, I guess this was it. Was the Schneider signing blowing smoke?
4. San Jose may be looking to acquire a defenseman since they have only 5 NHL calibre defensemen right now, as well as Rob Blake most likely retiring next year.

This is my favourite MG move this summer other than drafting Schroeder. Immediately our defense has gotten faster (Ehrhoff) and more experienced (Lukowich).

EDIT: "This trade speaks to the confidence we have in the young players coming up through our system who have earned the right to compete for a spot on this team," said Sharks general manager Doug Wilson in a release.

Staubitz? Joslin? I have to say I think the Sharks got weaker on the blueline.
Brian CC
Site Admin

Post by Brian CC »

No Schneider has now been officially signed as well according to my friends at NucksMisconduct:
Canucks Acquire Defencemen from Sharks / Sign Mathieu Schneider
Just announced by Mike Gillis, Canucks defenseman Daniel Rahimi and forward Patrick White have just been traded to San Jose for defensemen Brad Lukowich and Christian Ehrhoff.
Both Lukowich and Ehfhoff played for the Sharks last year.

Edit: As Missy also pointed out in the comments section, the Canucks have also officially signed Mathieu Schneider. We'll have more on Ehrhoff and Lukowich soon. Big tip of the hat to Missy for posting these deals
nucklehead88
CC Veteran

Post by nucklehead88 »

i wonder what this means for schnieder? i mean get three d-men in less than 12 hours! maybe MG is planning ahead for salo's innevitable injuries? either way i'm more than pleased
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

nucklehead88 wrote:i wonder what this means for schnieder? i mean get three d-men in less than 12 hours! maybe MG is planning ahead for salo's innevitable injuries? either way i'm more than pleased
I think they can keep all until the end of preseason and then decide who to keep and who to trade away or send down.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Erhoff $3,100,000 cap hit, Lukowich $1,566,666 and Schneider. Good acquisitions from the Sharks, particularly Erhoff. Potential cap room without those signings approx $2.6 million so who is on the way out given that Salo and Mitchell both have NTCs.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks have acquired defencemen Ehrhoff and Lukowich

Post by Cookie La Rue »

:shock: what a hell of a deal ? GM MG likes to play with cap numbers now. 3 capable d-men in a hurry, shit.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Arbour wrote:Erhoff $3,100,000 cap hit, Lukowich $1,566,666 and Schneider. Good acquisitions from the Sharks, particularly Erhoff. Potential cap room without those signings approx $2.6 million so who is on the way out given that Salo and Mitchell both have NTCs.
That definitely puts us in a crunch for sure ($-1.9m) - I wonder who the odd-man out is?

Somewhere, Aaron Rome is sulking.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Having too many options is better than having no options. I'd rather this problem present itself instead of the alternative. Camp and preseason will allow the story to unfold, unless MG has something else in mind.

:look:
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

I'm thinking Lukowich will be battling O'Brien for time on the team. Would not be at all shocked to see him either burried in the minors or left to rot on waivers. Obviously Ehrhoff was the big piece to the deal, and Lukowich was a throw in to clear space.

What I'm really hoping is that he doesn't decide that Bieksa is expendable.

GMMG has done a great job here, but now we have 8 NHL d-man for 6 starting spots.

Mitchell-BXA
Edler-Ehrhoff
Salo-O'Brien
Lukowich-Schneider

That is easily enough depth, but I wonder who's on the way out the door or down the the Moose...
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

I like it, Our D just got stacked, tho not for long I assume. So the obvious question now is, What deal is MG working on that he felt making this move would help him pull off? Sounds like one of our top-4 D will be moving, I can only imagine for a forward, a top 6 would be nice! He must have something in the works... It'll be an interesting 3 weeks before training camp thats for sure, no way do we go into camp with all these D, a move is obviously imminent...

P.S. Dear God, please save us Kevin Bieksa! Salo waives his NTC....right?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

I will not be impressed if we trade Bieksa either. It's just too dicey long term with Mitchell up after this season, Salo and Ehrhoff and Bieksa after next. I would very much like to have a Defense built around Bieksa, Edler and Ehrhoff for the forseeable future.

Lukowich isn't anything special. Having him and O'Brien on the third pairing scares the bejesus out of me, and he's making too much money to be a 6-7. Putting him in the minors puts us just under a million over the cap. It wouldn't shock me at all to see him put a couple of these contracts in the minors.

If Demitra starts the season on the IR, we'll save some cash there.

I don't know what he's got in store, or if he's trying to move for another forward. It really doesn't make sense unless he's planning to unload quite a few players. Sedin, Sedin, Demitra, Kesler, Burrows, Samuelsson, Bernier, Hodgson, Wellwood, Raymond, Hansen, Johnson, Rypien, Hordichuk...
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Lukowich is underappreciated and he should be written down for a regular spot. I wouldn't think twice between Lukowich in the lineup over O'Brien. Ehrhoff and Lukowich draw in, for me, O'Brien can sit. Rome can be assigned to the minors for all I care.

Hansen will have a tough time cracking the roster if MG doesn't unload a defenseman. Carrying 8 defensemen means one forward spot on a 23 man roster.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Nicccccccccce

depth is good,right?