Canucks have acquired defencemen Ehrhoff and Lukowich

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Farhan Lalji

Re: Canucks have acquired defencemen Christian Ehrhoff and Brad

Post by Farhan Lalji »

nucklehead88 wrote:maybe MG is planning ahead for salo's innevitable injuries?
Hilarious - but extremely valid. 8-)

Great deal for the Nucks!

And yes - San Jose does seem to be clearing cap space for either Heatley or Kessel.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks have acquired defencemen Christian Ehrhoff and Brad

Post by dr.dork »

Wow.

We've been whining about the D forever and now MG picks up 3 in one day. Not a bad days work.

Waiting for the other shoe to drop. Other shoe being another trade or someone is going to eventually be stuffed in the minors.

I have had my doubts in the past about whether the Aquilini's would be willing to spend to the cap. So far they are looking like pretty good owners.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks have acquired defencemen Ehrhoff and Lukowich

Post by Linden Is God »

I can't believe Gillis pulled this off. I've been wondering for years how the Canucks could score Ehrhoff. I can't believe this is all it took, considering Ehrhoff was rumoured to be a major piece of the Heatley to San Jose deal. I hope Gillis is able to move Salo to a team that needs D help for instance the Sabres, for maybe Drew Stafford, yes a pipe dream I know).

Regardless, I love how this D looks at the moment. A good offensive blend in Salo, Schneider, Bieksa and Ehrhoff (42pts. last year), with the potential of Edler to pick up some offense too (The Hockey News is predicting Edler will score 49 pts. We also now have quite the toughness on the back end with Bieksa, SOB and now Lukowich.

Hell for shits and giggles, here are the The Hockey News' Pool Guide's projections for our D.

Edler 49 pts.
Bieksa 47pts.
Ehrhoff 38 pts.
Salo 29 pts. (in 65 gp)
Schneider 37 pts. (in 67 gp)
SOB not listed
Lukowich not listed.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

I think it would be pretty sweet if Gillis could package off Salo and Demitra. Unlikely, but hey......a Hindu can wish.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Farhan Lalji wrote:I think it would be pretty sweet if Gillis could package off Salo and Demitra. Unlikely, but hey......a Hindu can wish.
So will you be be praying to Shiva to grant you this wish, sahib?
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.php/h ... s_canucks/
Mike Gillis of the Canucks was just on the Bill Watters Show on 640am in Toronto. He feels he defense can now generate 180-200 points from his defense and that is what he was looking for.

He said you need puck moving dmen and offensive-minded too in order to be successful in the league.

They realized depth at ‘D’ was an issue and felt they needed 8 NHL type dmen to succeed this year.

Bill asked him about Sundin, Gillis said they have had discussions with him over the summer and after his wedding this week, he will let them know if he is coming back. Says Mats was happy playing in Vancouver and liked the city. Said Sundin was a force in the room and would be happy to have him back. Mike did say he would have to be in Vancouver from day 1 and Mats realizes that too.

Gillis feels the Canucks need to work on their discipline and felt they should have won the Chicago series. PP struggled and more offense should have been generated from their defense.

With Luongo they know they will not be drafting high and feels 20 goals+ from six players this season is expected from the current roster.
Doesn't seem to indicate a trade is in order. My guess is that they'll let training camp dictate who goes where. If Hodgson cracks the team I expect Wellwood will be dumped. Looks less and less likely we'll see Schneider backing up Luongo, if only to save the 400+K difference between him and Raycroft.

Definitely don't buy anything to do with Sundin. He won't be coming back unless there is a big salary dump.

Does anyone know Demitra's status? If he starts the season on LTIR we might be able to actually keep all these D-men.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Isn't Demitra healthy? Or did I miss something? I guess it looks like 8 defensemen is the way to go - AV will have to juggle some serious ice-time there.

But where do we trim off $2.9m? If we want a cap cushion that's closer to $5m, and considering that there probably isn't a real market for Demitra and the next highest paid player is earning $2.75m, then it has to be a defenseman, right?
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

LotusBlossom wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote:I think it would be pretty sweet if Gillis could package off Salo and Demitra. Unlikely, but hey......a Hindu can wish.
So will you be be praying to Shiva to grant you this wish, sahib?
Yep - and if the deal goes through, I'll celebrate by downing a few beers and cheesburgers. :P
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Great deal for MG. Stealing assets is always a good thing, and Patrick White was the updated version of Libor Polasek by the looks of it. I don't see the need for Schneider at all at this point, unless MG does decide to ship someone out (BXA?). I can't see beginning training camp with 8 NHL-proven vets, that just won't work, IMO. But any way you slice it, Gillis did good with this deal.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Ehrhoff's highlights

I haven't watched a Sharks game in a few years, so I don't know The Hoff's abilities. But after watching a few goals, I can tell he's got a helluva shot and will be a great point man on the Power Play.

This is a great deal for Gillis to pull off. San Jose sheds some cap $$. Everyone's happy.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

I'll be royally peeved if MG decides to ditch Bieksa and run with Lukowich and Schneider. If the rumours of Schneider's salary are true ($1.5), it's basically a wash between them and Bieksa. (3M vs. 3.75)

Regardless, what would he bring back in? Bieksa and Edler have definite value, but are they not just as valueable to us long-term? I can't see Lukowich or Schneider being in the long-term plans for the Canucks...

Me thinks one of O'Brien and Lukowich will be dealt/waived prior to the start of the season. Paying a guy $1.5+M to watch from the press box isn't exactly wise. We could dress 7 d-men and run with 12 forwards.

Mitchell-Edler
Ehrhoff-Bieksa
Salo-Lukowich
Schneider
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Personally - I'd hate to lose Bieksa for obvious reasons, but in order to receive.....you have to give.

I guess it all depends on what we'd get. Ideally - the Canucks could unload Salo to someone but would we really be able to get that much in return?

Put it this way - If the Canucks' current defense was WITHOUT Bieksa, would our defense still be considered to be pretty good? (even formiddable?)

Salo-Mitchell
Edler-Erhoff
Schneider-O'Brien

Lukowich.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Farhan Lalji wrote:Personally - I'd hate to lose Bieksa for obvious reasons, but in order to receive.....you have to give.

I guess it all depends on what we'd get. Ideally - the Canucks could unload Salo to someone but would we really be able to get that much in return?

Put it this way - If the Canucks' current defense was WITHOUT Bieksa, would our defense still be considered to be pretty good? (even formiddable?)

Salo-Mitchell
Edler-Erhoff
Schneider-O'Brien

Lukowich.
Over time, I've grown suspicious of Bieksa's potential. Sure he has some very nice assets as a Dman, but he's somewhat slow-footed, makes far too many gaffs with the puck and his head just isn't in the game all the time. With these liablilites, I'd move him along to someone who is willing to overpay and maybe provide us a sniper in return. I think Bieksa's trade value is pretty high right now (Edler's is higher, I believe), so maybe this does become the time to maximize the return on an asset.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

The problem we have is that we're now over the cap. So we would need to get back less salary then we send. To that end, we'd be picking up draft picks and prospects for Bieksa. To me, as someone that should be a cornerstone of our D in the next 5 years or so (along with Edler and now Ehrhoff), you don't really trade a 10-goal, 40 point, 100pim Bieksa for what amounts to question marks...

If we could unload Salo, great. MG has repeatedly stated he won't ask players with NTC/NMC to waive, so I doubt that happens. Likewise, consider the return. Salo > O'Brien or Lukowich or Schneider

That lineup isn't bad, but it's not formidable either. We are a much better defense with Bieksa than without. I would rather dump Lukowich and Schneider in the minors than trade Bieksa away for nothing that helps us now. Bear in mind, Salo is all but guaranteed to miss time this year, and if you play Schneider regularly 5 on 5 he will too. Lukowich and O'Bbrien are bottom pairing guys, and frankly they're making a decent chunk of change as such. One of the two of them is EASILY expendable, imo.

We've all been harpin on our lack of defensive depth, and now we have some. Let's not get too excited about immediately using that depth. I'm still of the belief that Lukowich was included solely for the Sharks salary concerns, and I'm pretty sure MG has no problem either waiving him to the Moose, or trading SOB if he's outplayed at camp.

Goodbye Lukowich/O'Brien and Wellwood ($2.7), Hello Cody Hodgson.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Cornuck wrote:Ehrhoff's highlights

I haven't watched a Sharks game in a few years, so I don't know The Hoff's abilities. But after watching a few goals, I can tell he's got a helluva shot and will be a great point man on the Power Play.

This is a great deal for Gillis to pull off. San Jose sheds some cap $$. Everyone's happy.
Before the Sharks got Blake, Vlasic, Ehrhoff, and Boyle handled the PP duties. I don't know why Murray was so adverse to swapping Heatley for Cheechoo and Ehrhoff - if he wanted a puck-moving defenseman that can chip in on the PP it'd be Ehrhoff.

Even if we trade Bieksa, we still haven't cleared enough cap room for injuries and such. We need around $1.5m-2m for insurance. Trading away Bieksa only gives us less than a million for insurance. Besides, Gillis wants to carry 8, so that means one forward is gone. Demitra is the obvious solution because he's the second highest paid forward, but let's see how creative Gillis can get.