Bernier sheds the pounds.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Bernier sheds the pounds.

Post by Island Nucklehead »

http://www.canada.com/Canucks+Bernier+s ... story.html

Nice little write up regarding Bernier and his offseason weight loss program.

"Steve Bernier, one of the Vancouver Canucks' biggest players, has shed nearly 15 pounds from last season -- thanks to a stringent off-season training and dietary regimen."

Also says he put in about 20 sessions worth of power skating since mid-June. It sure sounds like this guy is motivated to have a breakout season...
Fred
CC Legend

Re: Bernier sheds the pounds.

Post by Fred »

I don't know what motivation the canucks use but they seem to get through to their players ( Wellwood will be interesting ) and if they can just get O'Brien to keep his stick on the ice :D who knows, less PK can only help
cheers
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

To be fair, we get stories like this every year (I seem to remember them posting the same one about Naslund's feeling healthy and such and such is looking to be in great shape year after year) and it doesn't really lead to anything. I wish Bernier the best, like his upside and think he could well improve (break out is a little strong a term, but why not) significantly this season.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

the toucan kid wrote:To be fair, we get stories like this every year (I seem to remember them posting the same one about Naslund's feeling healthy and such and such is looking to be in great shape year after year) and it doesn't really lead to anything. I wish Bernier the best, like his upside and think he could well improve (break out is a little strong a term, but why not) significantly this season.
True, but it is good to know he is trying. Whether it helps or not we will see, but at least he isn't coming to camp 20 pounds overweight.

The next two years will be interesting for Bernier. He needs to take it to the next level if he is going to have a long NHL career. His days of "still being young and a prospect" will be over at the end of his contract.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

If he can bury half the ones he missed last year he will definately have a break-out year.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

the toucan kid wrote:To be fair, we get stories like this every year (I seem to remember them posting the same one about Naslund's feeling healthy and such and such is looking to be in great shape year after year) and it doesn't really lead to anything. I wish Bernier the best, like his upside and think he could well improve (break out is a little strong a term, but why not) significantly this season.
Totally know what you mean Toucan. I used to get extremely excited about these articles when I was about 14 but they certainly didn't always pan out! To be fair, they didn't always turn into busts (Nazzy/Bert).

I think if anything it shows how motivated this guy is and that can only be a good thing. Who knows if he'll finally break out in a big way but if ever there were a time, it's now. At 24, it's make or break for this guy. Either he's going to develop into a top 6 power forward or amount to nothing more than a "solid" 3rd liner with size.

It's hard for me to say considering I haven't watched the team regularly in close to 2 years but I did catch all the games in the playoffs and Bernier was one of the guys who impressed me the most (Wellwood being another). He hussled hard and finished his checks. I really like what the guy brings to the table and hope the Canucks hold on to him for awhile, even if he peaks at this level. For the team's sake, here's hoping he busts out offensively in a big way.
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

I think that Bernier can score 30 goals. Remember that power forwards are usually late bloomers. The Sabres could rue the day they traded him.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Watching Bernier last year was watching someone who at times was snake bit, he would make a wonderful move on the goalkeeper only to have the puck dribble wide. What is and was significant, is that Bernier continues to do what is asked of him by management, and if shedding 10-15 lbs. gives him half a step in the foot speed department he will still be big enough to drive to the net, which outside of Kesler, is an aspect of the game which is lacking from the Canuck forward lineup.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

'Didn't we already have this conversation?' he says prodigiously

...Pyatt

8-)

Projectionism... it's not just for the weak anymore :wink:
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Arachnid wrote:'Didn't we already have this conversation?' he says prodigiously

...Pyatt
I don't think it is necessarily fair to compare the two. Pyatt, while showing some flashes in the pan, never showed the continued determination to keep doing all the little things game in and game out. Bernier does. He did have a ton of whifs and misses etc., which may point to less than stellar hands, but, unlike Pyatt, he always seems more than willing to work hard. He may never develop into what some of his projections suggested, but I think he is already significantly more valuable than Pyatt as is.

I still have some hope that Bernier can break out, but even if he doesn't I think he is a valuable member of the team.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

DonCherry4PM wrote:
Arachnid wrote:'Didn't we already have this conversation?' he says prodigiously

...Pyatt
I don't think it is necessarily fair to compare the two. Pyatt, while showing some flashes in the pan, never showed the continued determination to keep doing all the little things game in and game out. Bernier does. He did have a ton of whifs and misses etc., which may point to less than stellar hands, but, unlike Pyatt, he always seems more than willing to work hard. He may never develop into what some of his projections suggested, but I think he is already significantly more valuable than Pyatt as is.

I still have some hope that Bernier can break out, but even if he doesn't I think he is a valuable member of the team.
Agreed, young Steven has an edge to him I really like and Taylor just does not have nor never found it.
But the comparison is valid still. They were both projected as power forwards and neither is, really.

Sustainable BS, the new wave in Green :mrgreen:
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Just a thought:

We are somewhat lacking in the size/physical department as is.

Do we really want Bernier losing 15 lbs?

Even if Bernier loses 15 lbs., will 'speed' really become a major asset for him and the team? (a la Raymond et Kesler).

If the argument can be made that Bernier has a much better chance of becoming a menancing physical force as opposed to a speedster, then is losing 15 lbs. really that wise of a strategy?

It is VERY VERY difficult to lose weight AND retain muscle mass.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Farhan Lalji wrote:It is VERY VERY difficult to lose weight AND retain muscle mass.
Difficult, butt not very impossible :wink:

Lean, mean, green ma'chine 79 190
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Farhan Lalji wrote:Just a thought:

Even if Bernier loses 15 lbs., will 'speed' really become a major asset for him and the team? (a la Raymond et Kesler).

If the argument can be made that Bernier has a much better chance of becoming a menancing physical force as opposed to a speedster, then is losing 15 lbs. really that wise of a strategy?

I would have to assume that the weight he puts on during the season isn't muscle, so if he's in better physical shape I don't see it as a problem. He's still 210+, if he adds some speed to that size he'll have allot more bang in the corners and in open ice, thats for sure.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Farhan Lalji wrote:Just a thought:

He's not an offensive lineman. You can't hit an opponent if you can't catch him.

PS prior to your inteview with Rick Vaive on 1040 you described Billy Derlago as a roll player. Billy D was a special very gifted and talented player... until he got in to his cups and also suffered a brutal hip check from Dennies Potvin. I heard one player say he felt priveleged to have played on a team with Billy D. I'm not sure if BD has taken the cure but the last I heard, he was still suffering from the Demon drink, very similar to the George Best story
cheers