No Sundin this season

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: No Sundin this season

Post by Cornuck »

I don't see how Samuelsson can replace Sundin.

Sundin was effective because he was a big presence and future HOF'er - teams focused on the player and not the results. They couldn't give him space based on his reputation. Sundin made the team better by taking all the focus of the Sedins - as well as what he did on the ice.

We've replaced him with a 3rd line castoff from the Wings - you think that teams will be worried each time Samuelsson steps on the ice?

Now with that said, I think Samuellson will have a decent season and could surprise us if he ends up with the twins.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Samuelsson = Klatt+Pyatt
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

I guess it ain't over until it's over: Agent says Sundin's NHL future will be decided soon:
Mats Sundin’s agent said he should know next week whether his client plans to play in the NHLthis season.
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

I would love to have him at a reasonable price. But only at the beginning of the season. I wonder if he'll have the desire to handle the monster road trip we are going on.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Arbour wrote:I guess it ain't over until it's over: Agent says Sundin's NHL future will be decided soon:
Mats Sundin’s agent said he should know next week whether his client plans to play in the NHLthis season.
We heard this all through last summer. Deadline after deadline passed and nothing.

I'm not holding my breath for this guy, nor do I really want him. I can understand his indecision last year, moving to a new team, new city on the other side of the continent. That half season should have been enough for him to know if he still wanted to play hockey. I'm glad MG has moved on without him. We have enough forward depth, and imo it's time to see what these young guys are made of. I have serious doubts on this guy being able to stay healthy for an entire season, and 1/3 of our second line is already a band-aid. We should be using the remaining cap space on a guy like Schneider or someone that will play a whole season for us.

I'm sick of hearing about this old man.
Bret H
MVP
MVP

Post by Bret H »

I guess it ain't over until it's over: Agent says Sundin's NHL future will be decided soon:
In Swedish newspapers they think Barry has been misquoted... also Sundin's swedish agent thinks the original timeplan, a decision earliest in september, still holds. We'll see...
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Sundin's skating is what suffered last year from his indecision, and I doubt it will get any better this year as a result of his continued ambivalence about playing hockey, although he certainly was still a presence around the net in spite of losing half a step and his shot was still vintage Sundin. It becomes somewhat of a crap shoot as to when the lack of off ice commitment coupled with Sundin's age will eventually begin to effect all aspects of his game. If his skating continues to suffer Gillis may be well advised to pass on Sundin this year. It's not like he is the missing piece to the Canuck team puzzle, which at this time has about $2.5-$3.0 cap room depending on who makes the team, and if Gillis is still looking to replace Ohlund there would be little or no cap room left even with a relatively cheap Sundin signing.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

ClamRussel wrote:Samuelsson = Klatt+Pyatt
I think the best analogy for Samuelsson so far. With Samuelsson you know what you're getting. The only that's unpredictable is how fast his play is going to dive-off considering his age.