Canucks sign Andrew Raycroft

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Canucks sign Andrew Raycroft

Post by Cornuck »

TSN Link

Guess the backup question is settled.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Fred
CC Legend

Re: Canucks sign Andrew Raycroft

Post by Fred »

Cornuck wrote:TSN Link

Guess the backup question is settled.

Doesn't strike me as a good choice, I've heard on a number of occassions that his next smile may be his first smile, a real downer
cheers
JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JCardinal »

Fred wrote: Doesn't strike me as a good choice, I've heard on a number of occassions that his next smile may be his first smile, a real downer
Well to be fair he *was* playing for Toronto; not much to smile about there. :)
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Ability wise, I'm depressed over this.

Personality wise I am happy.

Let me share a story about Rayzor. My old roommates little brother Benny is a huge leaves fan. He was also a goalie. While playing minor hockey he somehow got to know Raycroft's summer trainer. As a birthday present the whole family was going to see a game in TO. The trainer arranged it for Benny (aged 13 or 14 at the time) to meet with Raycroft and get some autographs. There was a mix up in communication and Benny did not get to meet Raycroft that day. Raycroft felt so bad about it that he invited Benny to come up to where Raycroft trains during the summer (I think it's Strathroy but I'm not 100%) and train with Raycroft for the day and get all the autographs he missed out on. In my books, that's a top notch personality. I always like it when the good guys of the league get a deal.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Kikbutt_10
CC Veteran

Post by Kikbutt_10 »

Uh OH can anybody say GOALTENDER CONTROVERY?!?!? 8-)
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Kikbutt_10 wrote:Uh OH can anybody say GOALTENDER CONTROVERY?!?!? 8-)
Nope.

Raycroft's stock has fallen far since his Calder Rookie year. I'd rather have seen LaBarbera stay, but I guess he wanted more games(?)

Raycroft will be number 2. Schneider will be the call up.

I don't see any controversy here IMO.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

After Schneider recently saying in a province newspaper that he "has nothing left to prove" at the AHL level after being the top netminder in the league last year, this signing makes it look as if he'll be on the move when Luongo's extension gets done. If it's true that Lou's here for 5 more, no way does Schneider ride pine or lead the Moose till 2014. Gives substance to the Kaberle-for-Schneider rumours? Word is everyone's waiting on The Monster's decision before the rest of the dominos will fall, with Schneid being one of the top options after the big guy decides. Combined with some depth D signings in Nycholate and Baumer, as well as SOB... could mean someone of the top 6 is on the move...?
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Raycroft can do the job as well as any other of our recent attempts at finding someone who won't lose us 10 games guaranteed a year can. That said, I concur, doesn't strike me that he's the gregarious sort that Labarbara seemed to be coming off the bench to congratulate Lou. Oh well, that might just be the softie in me liking big smiles on the faces of players when they win.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

After the recent career slide over the last couple of seasons, Rayzor's looking for whatever work he can get. At $500,000, that's not bad on the payroll for MG, especially after paying SOB $1.6 million. If Raycroft is looking to prove himself again, here's as good as anywhere, though he won't see anywhere near the amount of games he played before elsewhere. That said, the boys are in it to win it, not to be a charity case. Was there no one else available?

Schneider for Kaberle seems a little odd. Personally, I think Kaberle is overrated like every other Leaf player and Burke would want more than Schneider, so why would Gillis want to make that deal unless it was straight up? If T.O. does sign Gustavson, who then needs a young up-and-comer goalie? Who would they have that Gillis would want in a trade? Forget everyone waiting for 'the monster' to sign, I think teams are waiting for Chicago's clerical error to be sorted out before making any major moves.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Is it a one-way contract? For all we know, Raycroft may be there just to give Schneider a little push. Arniel was saying during the middle of the season when Schneider had a slump that he just needs a challenge. Perhaps Gillis is just sending a message. It makes sense either way for Schneider or Raycroft to be the backup. Raycroft has the experience and Schneider would benefit more by seeing more pucks.

Don't forget that as of right now, asides from possibly Schneider, the Moose don't have a goalie. MacIntyre signed with the Islanders, Ellis is a UFA, as is Sanford.

Either that or there's a trade coming involving Schneider. I tend to think the latter.
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

Lancer wrote: Schneider for Kaberle seems a little odd. Personally, I think Kaberle is overrated like every other Leaf player and Burke would want more than Schneider, so why would Gillis want to make that deal unless it was straight up? If T.O. does sign Gustavson, who then needs a young up-and-comer goalie? Who would they have that Gillis would want in a trade? Forget everyone waiting for 'the monster' to sign, I think teams are waiting for Chicago's clerical error to be sorted out before making any major moves.
Apparently the Schneider deal to whoever all depends on where The Monster goes, if TO doesn't get him then they'd be in the running. If they do sign Gustavson then they wouldn't have a need for Corey. I would have to imagine it would include a Dman and/or other pieces. I agree with you in that I'm not all that high on Kaberle, that's just the rumor going around.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

The Schneider for Kaberle rumour was on Hockeybuzz, therefore it's 96.9% crap (numbers courtesy of www.hockeybuzzhogwash.com ) .
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Well, whether or not the rumour was bogus, it is pretty much a dead issue now with Toronto signing the Monster. Looks like we are going to have to find another dance partner if we want to use Schneider as trade bait.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283954
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Anybody who hasn't read Tom Benjamin's take should.

It blew me away.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Anybody who hasn't read Tom Benjamin's take should.

It blew me away.
It's interesting, but predicated on the notion that Schneider will play strongly in his occasional starts. That's tough to do, and while I don't think he was a complete bust last year, they weren't willing to give him the ball (probably wisely), it's difficult to say whether he's up to it. Why wasn't he used to move up this year for example, do they really not know where they stand with Lou? His value isn't likely to get higher.

Oh well it's nice to have a free chip to use at the deadline or like Tom says, the draft next year. Really we should put what we give up in Schneider back into our system, which is still a little on the wispy side.