Wellwood files for Arbitration

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

dangler
MVP
MVP

Wellwood files for Arbitration

Post by dangler »

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: Wellwood files for Arbitration

Post by the toucan kid »

Everyone must have seen this coming. I can't see him being brought back frankly, because he has a pretty good case to be made for a something of a raise.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

the toucan kid wrote:Everyone must have seen this coming. I can't see him being brought back frankly, because he has a pretty good case to be made for a something of a raise.

I would think that Wellwoods future with the Canucks depends on to a large degree if the Canucks sign a #2 centre. Really I envisage they want the 3rd line spot kept for Hodgson. Going to arbitration is apparently not Gilles wish, slagging the guy of before a panel after they invested so much time in trying to turn him around. Maybe they'll just listen for the arbitrators finding and decide if they want to pay that much or not, if it's to much tehy'll might just let him go. They don't have to sign him at the arbitartors numbers
cheers
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Interesting that a guy that passed through waivers twice is filing for arbitration.

Wellwood has more to prove than a good 1/2 season.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I would think that Wellwoods future with the Canucks depends on to a large degree if the Canucks sign a #2 centre. Really I envisage they want the 3rd line spot kept for Hodgson. Going to arbitration is apparently not Gilles wish, slagging the guy of before a panel after they invested so much time in trying to turn him around. Maybe they'll just listen for the arbitrators finding and decide if they want to pay that much or not, if it's to much tehy'll might just let him go. They don't have to sign him at the arbitartors numbers
They certainly haven't been afraid of slagging him in the past... :lol:

I don't think Kesler can score and play center, but either way I see him having to do it. But, perhaps, it will workout.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

I think having Wellwood about can take some pressure off Hodgson. If Hodgson starts fading, Wellwood - if he's the same guy he was at the end of last season - can pick up the minutes and the slack. Much as Kesler is a good centre in a shut-down role, I think he's a better fit on the wing. He's still defensively responsible, but his offensive numbers soared on the wing. Having a centre ice made up of Hank, Hodgson, Wellwood and Johnson may never be considered elite, but last season the Canucks proved greater than the sum of their parts and who's to say they won't get better next season?

I'm all for keeping Wellwood at the right price. Last season proved to me that he can get with a program and become better than he was. He'll never terrorize anyone, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't worry about some lack of size and fearsome-ness up front, but he proved tenacious enough to me in the playoffs.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Wellwood is a bit of an idiot and this proves it. Once again, the forest is lost for the trees...think Anson Carter. Part of what made Wellwood so effective was his low salary (which is astronomical by normal standards btw)...once he starts making 1.5-2+ million he loses his effectiveness and becomes a burden. As it is, mgmt can overlook his slumps as he's a salary cap filler who gets hot every now & then...and reinvented himself for the stretch run & playoffs. No way in hell does he get that much grace if he's making 2. He should just sign a reasonable contract and then play it out to UFA status where he'll really cash in if he continues to deliver. The Canucks sort of saved his career, he was fat, out of shape & unwanted last year...how much does he really think he's worth? He only scored 5 goals in the last half of the season...his assist totals are ghastly for a center.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

I think PuckDady put it best:
There are a few other interesting names like Colby Armstrong and Kyle Wellwood (one images the latter's hearing would involve Vancouver Canucks brass placing a vat of bacon grease on the table in a "this is your brain on drugs" moment of dramatic tension).
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Cornuck wrote:Interesting that a guy that passed through waivers twice is filing for arbitration.

Wellwood has more to prove than a good 1/2 season.
:lol: :lol:

Yeah...I was going to say.

I need to get back on here more and start writing again. Wow, I missed quite a bit due to my work commitments :evil:
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

ClamRussel wrote:Wellwood is a bit of an idiot and this proves it. Once again, the forest is lost for the trees...think Anson Carter. Part of what made Wellwood so effective was his low salary (which is astronomical by normal standards btw)...once he starts making 1.5-2+ million he loses his effectiveness and becomes a burden. As it is, mgmt can overlook his slumps as he's a salary cap filler who gets hot every now & then...and reinvented himself for the stretch run & playoffs. No way in hell does he get that much grace if he's making 2. He should just sign a reasonable contract and then play it out to UFA status where he'll really cash in if he continues to deliver. The Canucks sort of saved his career, he was fat, out of shape & unwanted last year...how much does he really think he's worth? He only scored 5 goals in the last half of the season...his assist totals are ghastly for a center.
Going to arbitration isn't necessarily a bad thing. I don't think Wellwood is an idiot for doing so... here's why

1) Ultimately, regardless what the arbitrator says Wellwood is worth, the team has to option to sign him or walk away.
2) In light of how Wellwood has played throughout the whole season, I don't think there is an arbitrator out there that would say Wellwood would be worth much more than what Gillis would be offering.
3) As much as Wellwood is a 'fringe' player, he's still part of the NHLPA and has the right to file for arbitration.

I think the problem with the Wellwood situation is that some of us think he's a moron for making such a move, thing is he has the right to do so. I think we're more annoyed with the fact that Wellwood and/or agent have a inflated assessment of what he is really worth.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

It's important that a player is given the right to go to arbitration. The question is here why would a guy that was waived throught the league ie every team in the league passed up the opportunity to sign the guy. His stats were not excepitional and his conditioning, well, he needed a severe kick in the ass to even try to rise to the professional athlete conditioning. Frankfully IMO he's a guy that falls under the category, lucky to have a job. But the aribtration process is needed just not for this player
cheers
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I have no problem with him using his right to arbitration, but just think that he's wasting his time.

Maybe after the two waivers last year, losing arbitration (maybe) will finally, possibly make him aware of his situation?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Maybe after the two waivers last year, losing arbitration (maybe) will finally, possibly make him aware of his situation?
Why would you think he's going to lose? Remember what he was making last year.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Well if it is about term and not actual dollars, I hope Gillis takes whatever ruling with serious consideration.

This guy was a solid freebie last year, but if we have to decide if we want him for two or three years at O'Brien money, I'd rather walk away and give the spot to a guy like Grabner. Wellwood was mostly a PP guy anyways, and I think his spot could be better used with some of the younger guys coming up.

He also doesn't really fall into a good category on this team. We have a plethora of third-liners, and he's not in good enough shape to play at a second-line level.

I don't have a problem with him going to arbitration, I just don't see it being in his best interest because I can't see a team that will sign him to a multi-year deal.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Well if it is about term and not actual dollars, I hope Gillis takes whatever ruling with serious consideration.

This guy was a solid freebie last year, but if we have to decide if we want him for two or three years at O'Brien money, I'd rather walk away and give the spot to a guy like Grabner. Wellwood was mostly a PP guy anyways, and I think his spot could be better used with some of the younger guys coming up.

He also doesn't really fall into a good category on this team. We have a plethora of third-liners, and he's not in good enough shape to play at a second-line level.

I don't have a problem with him going to arbitration, I just don't see it being in his best interest because I can't see a team that will sign him to a multi-year deal.
If I remember correctly, the longest term for an arbitration award is two years. I'm actually not sure whether Wellwood wants a longer term or a shorter term (but if so, why wouldn't he just accept his QO)?