Team 1040 report...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Fred
CC Legend

Team 1040 report...

Post by Fred »

Gaborik has bought a house in Vancouver, hard to imagine buying a house here unless he intends to live here. Ala Willie Mitchell :D
cheers
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Re: Team 1040 report...

Post by Grizzly »

Nice player ... unfortunately not alot of games out of him ... 17 this last year, 77 year before and 48 before that. We'll see.

Grizz
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Grizzly wrote:Nice player ... unfortunately not alot of games out of him ... 17 this last year, 77 year before and 48 before that. We'll see.

Grizz
Correction, amazing player. I've been a big fan of Gabby since he broke into the league. I would welcome this cautiously due to the injury factor.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Linden Is God wrote: Correction, amazing player. I've been a big fan of Gabby since he broke into the league. I would welcome this cautiously due to the injury factor.
Agreed. Would be great to watch him on a regular basis. Obviously risky given his injury issues.
nucklehead88
CC Veteran

Post by nucklehead88 »

oh it would be lovely to have him.......if he wasnt made out of glass.....he's worse then salo :roll: but no doubt extremly talented
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Linden Is God wrote: Correction, amazing player. I've been a big fan of Gabby since he broke into the league. I would welcome this cautiously due to the injury factor.
I'm sorta in the same boat. When healthy he's up there with the best in the game. So long as he isn't our only big acquisition this summer and the contract length is right I'd happily take him on the team. 2 years at $7M per is fine with me, if he doesn't work out then you boot his ass to the curb in a couple seasons and come up with a better plan.
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Arbour »

Salcer said Dr. Marc Philippon told them Gaborik has a 93 percent chance that he'll return 100 percent from the surgery, as he has done with the one on his right hip.

"We feel very confident Marian's going to be back better than ever," he said.
Pretty good recovery odds, and wouldn't it be nice to get a game breaker player. Now sign Cammellari and go from there.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

Has Gaborik shown that he can produce in the playoffs?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Puck wrote:Has Gaborik shown that he can produce in the playoffs?
22 points (12-10) in 29 games over 3 playoffs. Decent enough numbers.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I would have to think that Demitra would play alongside Gaborik probably ar centre, who knows maybe we get better production out of Demitra too. Demitra is on $4 and assume Gaborik comes at $6 plus bonuses for games played that's equivalent to what the Sedins are asking plus we have money left over for a Heatley or Neidermyer. The other winger might well be Mason speed alongside more speed. Then maybe Kesler, Heatley and Burrows, who knows :lol: :lol:

Down side...... Burrows will be cursing loosing Sedins, first time the guy puts up points and then he looses his line mates ... bummer
cheers
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Gaborik only ranks behind Ovechkin (tied with Kovalchuk I think?) in terms of goals/game. Obviously the problem is he doesn't play many games. But at 27 (younger than the Sedin's), he does have 5 30+ goal seasons already.

If he wants to come here (a la Demitra), and is willing to take a contract in the 2 years $12M range? Why not?

This could even be a bonus for Toucan et al.: if he misses significant time we're hooped and will go to the basement, but if he stays healthy we're looking at another good team. Also, not being hinged to a 12-year "lifetime" deal has to be attractive to Gillis.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Hey, it would be someone who could make the games interesting every night (well...). That said, where would he fit into our salary structure? If this is true, I think it has to mean Gillis is moving away from the Sedins, because Gaborik can definitely still fetch a price. Who knows though, this could be nothing.
This could even be a bonus for Toucan et al.: if he misses significant time we're hooped and will go to the basement, but if he stays healthy we're looking at another good team. Also, not being hinged to a 12-year "lifetime" deal has to be attractive to Gillis.
Even with Gaborik, I'm not sure the pieces are here Island. I like guys like Kesler and Burrows, but do they set us apart? We just have so many holes, and that defense just seems like a headache moving forward. There's always Luongo to cling to, I guess. I would prefer Gaborik to the Sedins, because he's exciting, and it's at least a different approach from one I'm tired of seeing played out, but we're not contenders with a Gaborik signing.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Cornuck wrote:
Puck wrote:Has Gaborik shown that he can produce in the playoffs?
22 points (12-10) in 29 games over 3 playoffs. Decent enough numbers.
His numbers don't quite tell the story. Last I remember, he was dynamite. That series against Vancouver, he was amazing. Of course, I could be wrong, but he definitely didn't disappear...

Gaborik's scoring ability is top 5 in the league.

Also, Roberto Luongo is apparently building a home near Merritt...
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

jchockey wrote: Also, Roberto Luongo is apparently building a home near Merritt...
I'm not reading that far into this one. Everyone needs a summer house. Considering Gaborik bought a house he could live in during the season, it's only slightly newsworthy. I don't think that factors much into the contract equation, worst case scenario for him? Sell.

Toucan: I agree that Gaborik alone isn't going to replace the Sedins. But assuming he signs for somewhat close to his market value of 7M, that would still leave the Canucks with plenty of space to sign another expensive player. How would Gaborik and Hossa look in Vancouver? Could we create a Bandaid line of Gaborik-Demitra-Havlat? :lol: What about Heatley, rumour has Vancouver on his list of 'go to' teams.

As far as the cap is concerned, cutting the Sedins loose definitely opens more options for MG. The real question is can he produce a better team. I'm not convinced he can.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

I've heard that the cap will be close to last years and I don't see any reason that MG won't be able to sign the Sedins and Gaborik. I would line him up with Demitra on the left with Kesler in the middle. This would give us two dangerous lines.