Heatly on the block. Interested?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Heatly on the block. Interested?

Post by Sid Dithers »

Wouldn't touch Heater. I like his ability to score at any time, but not much else. Never struck me as being a team guy, and asking for a trade in public pretty much confirms that.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Sid Dithers wrote:Wouldn't touch Heater. I like his ability to score at any time, but not much else. Never struck me as being a team guy, and asking for a trade in public pretty much confirms that.

I'm with you on this one. Not sure if you want guys like that in the dressing room...but he sure can score which is something we need...hmmm..
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I'm with you on this one. Not sure if you want guys like that in the dressing room...but he sure can score which is something we need...hmmm..
Let me ask you a question. Did anyone care that Todd Bertuzzi was a miserable locker room cancer (which he was - at least as far as anyone from the outside can know anything in this regard) when he was potting 45 for us?

It's amazing how fast this tough talk about attitude will dissipate once the guys lights the lamp in your jersey. Alas, c'est la vie.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

the toucan kid wrote:

Let me ask you a question. Did anyone care that Todd Bertuzzi was a miserable locker room cancer (which he was - at least as far as anyone from the outside can know anything in this regard) when he was potting 45 for us?

It's amazing how fast this tough talk about attitude will dissipate once the guys lights the lamp in your jersey. Alas, c'est la vie.
I guess winning cures all is what you're saying?

I'd take Heatly IF the Sens ate some of that salary and the Canucks don't lose too much to obtain him.

I find it odd that Bertuzzi was brought up in terms of being a 'cancer'. As far as I remember, he didn't become one until after the Moore incident...once happened, his numbers disappeared.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Well, I brought it up because none of us really know what happens behind the scenes. However, Bert's rep throughout his golden years is that he was a miserable prick with the press and someone who didn't have a lot of time for people outside his inner sanctum. I'm not saying it's true or not true, just that when he was ripping it up, no one cared. Same way Heatley was a great guy and a hell of a story until his production dropped off and the team didn't make the playoffs. So yeah, basically, winning cures all.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

Sid Dithers wrote:Wouldn't touch Heater. I like his ability to score at any time, but not much else. Never struck me as being a team guy, and asking for a trade in public pretty much confirms that.
Interesting Sid ... I got a couple of buddies who are Sens fans ... they say "you can have him" ... he is more hassle than he is worth despite his good numbers. Not a team guy ....

Grizz
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

This actually brings up a tough question.

Would you take Heatley - who comes with rumoured baggage?

Would you take Gaborik - who comes with his own team of physicians?

Neither? Both?

Has Heatley been in a dressing room with strong leadership? Can he be straightened out by the likes of Luongo, Kesler, Burrows?

Is Gaborik ready for a full season? Did he buy a house in Van because of the world class hospitals?

Like others have said, I'd hate to be MG in the next 2 months...
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Cornuck wrote:This actually brings up a tough question.

Would you take Heatley - who comes with rumoured baggage?
I think the baggage has to be overblown. I think he might be a dick, he probably wants out of Ottawa for whatever reason, who knows how many verbal sparring matches him and Clouston had. But I would rather have the guaranteed goals over...
Would you take Gaborik - who comes with his own team of physicians?
Guy is a unique talent. Unfortunately, unless he wants to come here and understands that it will take sacrifices, I don't want much to do with a guy that has proven incapable of staying healthy. I'd show some interest on a one year deal, with a team option for two more at an increased rate. I don't know how such a deal would affect cap value, but it's the only way I'd do it.
Has Heatley been in a dressing room with strong leadership? Can he be straightened out by the likes of Luongo, Kesler, Burrows?

Is Gaborik ready for a full season? Did he buy a house in Van because of the world class hospitals?
I think its far more likely that Heatley fits in than Gaborik stays healthy.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Interesting Sid ... I got a couple of buddies who are Sens fans ... they say "you can have him" ... he is more hassle than he is worth despite his good numbers. Not a team guy ....
Sorry, but if you are even basically competent in your own end and rack up 40+ goals a year, you are a team guy. That player, automatically makes the team better. It's pro sports, and in professional life people don't always get along.

Island is very right, it's far more likely that Gaborik's groin/hip would bite us, than Heatley's surely disposition- or whatever makes him difficult to live with.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

the toucan kid wrote: Island is very right, it's far more likely that Gaborik's groin/hip would bite us, than Heatley's surely disposition- or whatever makes him difficult to live with.
Maybe Heatley is in a pissy mood because he is on a losing team and he hates to lose. I don't have a problem with people hating to lose. And there is a cure for that, it is called winning.

Gaborik has the bigger upside (IMO) and you might even get him at a bit of a discount and a shorter term given his injury situation. Would you rather have Heatley's contract at $7.5M per (cap hit) or Gaborik for one year and have flexibility going into 2010/2011 ? Gaborik probably has the higher upside potential and if you believe we don't have a legitimate shot next year (still mediocre) why wouldn't you go for the higher upside with less future risk solution (Gaborik) ?

Given Hossa's finals disappearance, do you also stay away from him ?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Heatley is only one year older than Gaborik, and has proven relatively consistent. I don't buy the "I hate losing" argument because this guy played for shit-house teams in Atlanta. He hates the coach, lost the battle because the coach started winning games and now his ego is too bruised within the room to want to stay.

Of course, IF IF IF IF IF Gaborik can stay healthy he's a more attractive option than Heatley because he would score more and dominate the play, not just be a great finisher. But I think any discussion regarding potential with Gabs needs to center on his potential to stay healthy, not improve talent.

I don't stay away from Hossa because again, we could say the same thing about Luongo's meltdown in the second round. These guys are stars, and the more stars you have the opportunity to get on your roster the better. If getting to the playoffs is half the battle (Pittsburgh), Hossa's 40 goals goes a long way.