Do you think Naslund Number 19 should be Retired?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Do you think the Canucks should retire Naslunds Number 19

Yes... He deserves it
38%
No.. Great player but not enough to hang in the rafters
62%

Total votes: 26

Farhan Lalji

Re: Do you think Naslund Number 19 should be Retired?

Post by Farhan Lalji »

ClamRussel wrote: Its not just '94 Farhan, Linden always stepped it up come playoffs...the tougher the situation the better he responded. Can Naslund say the same? Here's a great example of this taken from nhl.com
Colorado Avalanche center Joe Sakic and Vancouver Canucks center Trevor Linden swapped hat tricks on April 25, 1996, in Game 5 of their Western Conference Quarterfinal series, won by Sakic's overtime goal. The Avalanche wrapped up the series two nights later.
Hey Clam,

I think you are missing my main point. I'm not arguing the fact that Linden wasn't a clutch playoff performer or wasn't an absolute beast come playoff time. I agree with you wholeheartedly. Even outside of 94', Linden has always proven himself to be a clutch player during the post-season....even in 07'.

The MAIN point I'm making however, is that the guy was average/below average after 1997.....and he played until 2008. That's 11 years of mediocrity!

Another point I'm trying to make is that if the city of Vancouver is going to reward players that, as a whole, had "above average" NHL careers (based on a wholistic set of criteria including stats, leadership, clutch ability, community service, etc.), then I think a good case can be made for Markus Naslund....who contrary to popular belief, wasn't THAT bad come playoff time either.

Just for the record however - I don't think Naslund's jersey will get retired here. Unlike Linden, he wasn't a "homegrown Canadian talent that was originally drafted by the Nucks."

T
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

trouble wrote:
Great post and you make many fine points...and welcome back.. I hope you post alot more

I'm one of those old timers that grew up on Canuck hockey aqnd have been a fan since Vancouver got the team.. Naslund was a great player for Vancouver and put many bums in the seats and had a few very good years but not 10 years like you said...more like 4 or 5 seasons

Watching Naslund over the years he did some great stuff but i still feel not enough to get your Number retired
Thanks Trouble. Fair enough counter argument. His great years were more like 5 but that's why I said "face of the franchise" (he wasn't always elite during that period). I'd say he was pretty much our franchise player from 2000 - 2007.

You'll have to excuse me but I guess I just get frustrated with how much flack Nazzy has gotten in the last few years. You'll have to realize of course, that when I left Vancouver he was still a Canuck. I stayed up (as am tonight, 3 am and counting) to watch his and Linden's last game. It was nice to see Linden get his due but very disappointing to see Nazzy go out like that with no recognition even though it was very likely he had played his last game with the team. I just don't think Nazzy as a player and person warranted the criticism he received near the end.

A bit off topic but it's been fun watching the current team. I got to say I really like Steve Bernier and hope the team hangs on to him. Even though he's been disappointing offensively, he really hustles out there and has great size. Gotta love Wellwood's craftiness too. God I love playoff hockey! Sleep be damned!
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

You'll have to excuse me but I guess I just get frustrated with how much flack Nazzy has gotten in the last few years. You'll have to realize of course, that when I left Vancouver he was still a Canuck. I stayed up (as am tonight, 3 am and counting) to watch his and Linden's last game. It was nice to see Linden get his due but very disappointing to see Nazzy go out like that with no recognition even though it was very likely he had played his last game with the team. I just don't think Nazzy as a player and person warranted the criticism he received near the end.
Naslund got a pretty nice hand during the warm up and I believe gestured to the crowd in response, at least that's what Hughson said on the night of. He certainly didn't deserve criticism as a person (not that much was given out), but as a player he absolutely deserved it.

I'm also think the whole 'face of the franchise' thing is a little dubious. Someone has got to be it, doesn't necessarily make them worthy of idolatry.

I think the best way to sum Markus Naslund up is, a nice guy who was a really good goal scorer for a few years.

By the way, even now if you talk to people about Naslund around town, I think generally they speak of him fondly. That bit Cherry did tonight during the intermission was a nice touch and shows, I think, that's he generally liked by all. It's just when Ron said "great career", the reality is that it wasn't, it was just "great guy, good career".
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

the toucan kid wrote:[ "great guy, good career".
Which raises the question:

Do Linden and Smyl also fit the above description? If so - then does that make Naslund equal to Linden and/or Smyl in terms of his stature as a Canuck?

Biggest point total in Canucks history, most points ever by a LW'er, Lester B. Pearson nominee, Art Ross runner-up, part of the one of the greatest line combinations in hockey for a number of years.

If Linden/Smyl's jersey's were retired, then why not Naslund? Or does a lack of a Stanley Cup appearance and/or not being a Canadian homegrown talent really mean that much?
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

I don't care if #19 will be in the rafters but i totally agree to LB's and Rockalt's post.

He'll be in my memory forever that's enough for me. And i could hang my #19 jersey on the wall (or the #91 ASG jersey ?). :mrgreen:

Comparisons are pretty hard to make but i have the feeling #12 and #16 were mainly due to the SC final appearances.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Which raises the question:

Do Linden and Smyl also fit the above description? If so - then does that make Naslund equal to Linden and/or Smyl in terms of his stature as a Canuck?

Biggest point total in Canucks history, most points ever by a LW'er, Lester B. Pearson nominee, Art Ross runner-up, part of the one of the greatest line combinations in hockey for a number of years.

If Linden/Smyl's jersey's were retired, then why not Naslund? Or does a lack of a Stanley Cup appearance and/or not being a Canadian homegrown talent really mean that much?
One thing at the outset, I was REALLY young when Smyl was at the tail end of his career. I remember him, but usually as injured or not that productive. I can say nothing of his prime. With that in mind, I can't see why his jersey is retired, but I will defer to anyone who lived through the era on that count.

I was around for Linden pretty much from the outset and I think on hockey terms one could make a very reasonable case that he shouldn't be up there. However, Linden is imprinted in to the fiber of this city and almost deserves to be honored as an exceptional citizen and a good player. I think Naslund was a nice guy, who did a lot for charity in his time here, but there's just no comparison in terms of the symbolic attachment and philanthropic work. That too me is why Linden should be up there, anyway.

On the other hand one could simply say that, just because we were too lenient in the past, does mean we have to continue to be so.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

the toucan kid wrote: On the other hand one could simply say that, just because we were too lenient in the past, does mean we have to continue to be so
Ah, this is where I have to agree with Clam. To me a player who makes a positive impact for a specific franchise is where the honour should lie. Maybe league wide the Canucks standards are 'low' but Smyl and Linden put their imprints with the city and the organization like no others have in their own ways. But then again, that's just how I feel about it.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Ah, this is where I have to agree with Clam. To me a player who makes a positive impact for a specific franchise is where the honour should lie. Maybe league wide the Canucks standards are 'low' but Smyl and Linden put their imprints with the city and the organization like no others have in their own ways. But then again, that's just how I feel about it.
I was just bringing that in as a potential retort. I certainly agree that Linden's status in the town is so far and above just a hockey player, that he almost has to be acknowledged. That was never the case with Naslund, and as I said I wasn't around for Smyl's hey day.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

the toucan kid wrote:
I was just bringing that in as a potential retort. I certainly agree that Linden's status in the town is so far and above just a hockey player, that he almost has to be acknowledged. That was never the case with Naslund, and as I said I wasn't around for Smyl's hey day.
I'm pretty sure things will change when and if this franchise will win a cup. Standards will be different. In 3 seasons, Roberto Luongo is making a statement for his jersey retirement :P :lol: But I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Tukaram
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Tukaram »

Yes, his number will probably be retired. Shortcomings aside, he did a lot for the franchise and should be recognized for those accomplishments.