Naslund Retiring

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Naslund Retiring

Post by Linden Is God »

TSN is reporting that the New York Post is reporting that Makus Naslund is retiring from the NHL.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=277388

I have to say, I'm a little surprised. I thought he would at least finish out his contract.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Arachnid
CC Legend

Re: Naslund Retiring

Post by Arachnid »

Linden Is God wrote:TSN is reporting that the New York Post is reporting that Makus Naslund is retiring from the NHL.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=277388

I have to say, I'm a little surprised. I thought he would at least finish out his contract.
Not surprised at all. He almost retired in Van. He's a Greyhound, he had his prime, it was a beautiful thing, wasn't the place though, we are lucky to have had a good guy on our team and bare witness to the entertaining rise and fall of the great WCE! :mrgreen:

Thanks Markus, best of luck!

SpiderFann
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Also a classy move to retire and not sit around for the buyout.

Anyone think he'll show up in the SEL?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
George
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by George »

He just didn't seem to enjoy the game the last few years - unfair to say maybe, but that's the impression I got.

Classy guy though all the way - he didn't deserve a lot of the criticism he took here, and I don't wanna see anyone else on this team wearing #19...
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I think it's given he ends up in the SEL. Wasn't there talk of that years ago?
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

George
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by George »

Linden Is God wrote:I think it's given he ends up in the SEL. Wasn't there talk of that years ago?
I thought I read he didn't enjoy it at all during the lockout, which helped convince him to come back to the NHL. I think he's done.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Sad to hear, one of the greatest Canucks of all time calls it quits. I really wish he hadn't signed with the Rangers though, he's one of those players that should have retired a Canuck.

Oh well, hopefully we'll retire his number. He might not have been a Linden-esque figure but he's our highest scoring player of all time and longest serving Captain who was temporarily the best player on earth. As much flack as he got sometimes, #19 deserves to be hanging from the rafters. It's sad to see him go.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

This should have happened two years ago, and I have to say his diminished form was a bit pathetic to sit through. That said for a quite a while he made our games really exciting to watch, and I hope, in the long run that's what I'll remember.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Naslund led us well for several years, and was an exciting player to watch. I am glad of his time here in Vancouver, and wish him and his family all the best in the future.

A wise man once said that the hardest transition a person can make in life is going from being an old hockey player back to being a young man again.

All the best Markus, and thanks for the West Coast Express.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

levelheaded wrote:who was temporarily the best player on earth.
I don't want to crap on Naslund, but he was never the best player on earth. Even temporarily. Was he in an elite player for a few years (maybe 3 tops) ? Sure I can agree with that. But he was never the best on earth.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

trouble

Post by trouble »

Thanks Marcus for the great years in Vancouver..

As for his retiring his Number... A big NO... Retiring numbers is for winners and leaders and he was neither.. I would rather retire Bure's number 10 before i would even consider Naslund 19 and neither will hang in the rafters..

He deserves a retirement party at GM place but thats it..

Good luck in your future Naslund
Cannie
CC Veteran

Post by Cannie »

I agree. The retirement of a number should be a visceral, emotional response to the player's contribution. Naslund provided fans here in Vancouver with a decade of solid production. That, and his community efforts, warrant a classy and well-deserved ceremony. Number 19, however, should stay in circulation.

That said, with Mike Gillis as GM (Nazzy's agent and friend) playing the role of kingmaker, it will probably happen. I'd just like to cast a respectful NO vote to the retirement of Naslund's 19 jersey.

Cannie
:towel: :towel: :towel: GO CANUCKS GO!!! :towel: :towel: :towel:
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Cannie wrote:I agree. The retirement of a number should be a visceral, emotional response to the player's contribution. Naslund provided fans here in Vancouver with a decade of solid production. That, and his community efforts, warrant a classy and well-deserved ceremony. Number 19, however, should stay in circulation.

That said, with Mike Gillis as GM (Nazzy's agent and friend) playing the role of kingmaker, it will probably happen. I'd just like to cast a respectful NO vote to the retirement of Naslund's 19 jersey.

Cannie
Naslund probably won't get his number retired. Whether it is deserved or not is one thing, because he was a better player than both Smyl and Linden, but the fans hated him (at the end) and ran him out of town.

Personally, I think you need to at least be in the HHOF and win a cup before having your jersey retired. Our standards are low around here, so who knows what will happen.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

dr.dork wrote:Naslund probably won't get his number retired. Whether it is deserved or not is one thing, because he was a better player than both Smyl and Linden, but the fans hated him (at the end) and ran him out of town.

Personally, I think you need to at least be in the HHOF and win a cup before having your jersey retired. Our standards are low around here, so who knows what will happen.
Thats crap Doc, I don't want to get into yet another tedious debate over HHOF/jersey retirement but they are apples and oranges mate. The retirement of a jersey has to do with a connection a player has with a particular city moreso than some kind of superstar legacy NHL wide.

Also, "better" ....really? Sorry, I'd take Smyl in his prime over Naslund in his any day. Better offensive? Sure, Naslund had way more offensive gifts than Smyl or Linden any day but they were more complete players hands down. I really think alot of people forget just how good Smyl was back in the day, he was a lunchbucket guy all the way but he had guts and was all heart. Both Smyl and Linden were also better captains than Naslund who, in his own words, "choked" with the rest of his brood. Naslund couldn't really get it done in the postseason and had little to no success there whatsoever. I'm not putting it all on his shoulders but he's been described on here by levelheaded as being "temporarily the best player on earth." Sorry but that type of player can at least take his team to some degree of playoff success. I'll never describe Linden and Smyl with those words but they both got it done in the postseason for extended runs. THAT has to be a major factor when considering jersey retirement imo. Naslund gets too much criticism from fans imo but so too do Smyl & Linden when people say Van has low standards with number retirements. It would be far too easy to retire Bure & Naslund's numbers because of their offfensive numbers and maybe THAT would be low standards, as it is (considering our meager amount of success) I think the Canucks have got it just about right!

Good luck to Nalsund and thanks for the memories. I really think he could play longer if he wished. He's no longer a star but no reason he can't be a strong 2nd line support player still. If his heart isn't in it then he's doing the right thing and like always he always has my respect. Class act all the way.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

ClamRussel wrote:
dr.dork wrote:Naslund probably won't get his number retired. Whether it is deserved or not is one thing, because he was a better player than both Smyl and Linden, but the fans hated him (at the end) and ran him out of town.

Thats crap Doc, I don't want to get into yet another tedious debate over HHOF/jersey retirement but they are apples and oranges mate. The retirement of a jersey has to do with a connection a player has with a particular city moreso than some kind of superstar legacy NHL wide.

Also, "better" ....really? Sorry, I'd take Smyl in his prime over Naslund in his any day. Better offensive? Sure, Naslund had way more offensive gifts than Smyl or Linden any day but they were more complete players hands down. I really think alot of people forget just how good Smyl was back in the day, he was a lunchbucket guy all the way but he had guts and was all heart. Both Smyl and Linden were also better captains than Naslund who, in his own words, "choked" with the rest of his brood. Naslund couldn't really get it done in the postseason and had little to no success there whatsoever. I'm not putting it all on his shoulders but he's been described on here by levelheaded as being "temporarily the best player on earth." Sorry but that type of player can at least take his team to some degree of playoff success. I'll never describe Linden and Smyl with those words but they both got it done in the postseason for extended runs. THAT has to be a major factor when considering jersey retirement imo. Naslund gets too much criticism from fans imo but so too do Smyl & Linden when people say Van has low standards with number retirements. It would be far too easy to retire Bure & Naslund's numbers because of their offfensive numbers and maybe THAT would be low standards, as it is (considering our meager amount of success) I think the Canucks have got it just about right!

Good luck to Nalsund and thanks for the memories. I really think he could play longer if he wished. He's no longer a star but no reason he can't be a strong 2nd line support player still. If his heart isn't in it then he's doing the right thing and like always he always has my respect. Class act all the way.
We need to disagree more Clam,:P (would make for some good discussion) but I couldn't have said that better myself.

Thanks to Markus for many years of wonderful hockey in Vancouver. He will always have my respect, as a player and as a person. You're right, if his heart isn't into it anymore, he is definitely doing the right thing. Good luck in retirement, Markus and thank you for the memories.

I would like to see a celebration for Naslund at GM Place. I'm not talking jersey retirement, I'm talking an appreciation for all his work as a Canuck.

Always #19 to me,

LB
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde