Round 1 Predictions

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Ilevakam
CC Veteran

Re: Round 1 Predictions

Post by Ilevakam »

West:
San Jose in 6
Detroit in 5
Vancouver in 6
Chicago in 5

East:
Boston in 6
Washington in 5
Carolina in 7
Philadelphia in 7
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

There will be upsets, but here are my guesses.

West:
Sharks in 6
Detroit in 5
Vancouver in 7
Chicago in 6

East:
Montreal in 6 (I know, I am dreaming here)
Washington in 5
Pittsburgh in 6
Carolina in 7
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

West:
San Jose in 6: Anaheim has the ability to upset, but while they still have their core forwards, I don't think their supporting cast is as good this time. They should give the Sharks a good enough going over though.

Columbus in 7: Lidstrom still knows how to orchestrate the game when he's on the ice, and Detroit's offence is undeniable but I predict Osgoode's cracks will show again. If anyone is ripe for an upset, it's the Wings and with Mason in net anything is possible. If the BJs get a win or two in Detroit, look out... unless Mason pulls a Cloutier.

Vancouver in 6: On paper this could go either way with the season series split, but when you look at St. Louis' two wins one was during the horrible January slump wth no Luongo in net and the other one was on the marathon series of games where the Nucks played 9 games in 9 different cities. Murray will ensure the Blues won't roll over, but the edge goes to Vancouver.

Chicago in 5: If any team is going to get rolled it will be the Flamers. Their D is depleted, Chicago's forwards are faster and Bulin is a Flamer killer. Kipprusoff will keeps things close and Iginla will have enough to carry one game, but that's all she wrote for the cow-lovers.

East:

Boston in 6: The habs will make a fight of it, but the Bruins are in too solid of a groove to be denied. The habs will match Bruin brutality with speed and skill, but this one will come down to goaltending and it's the Jennings Trophy duo vs. the no-confidence kids. Au revoir, anée de la centennaire!

Washington in 5: The Rags have a chance to kill off Ovechkin & Co. but Lundquist will have to play his A-game to beat them. Lundquist is the better goalie, but Washington's offence is that much better.

Carolina in 7: Brodeur and Co. will make a valiant game of it, but Carolina is in a groove (last game notwithstanding). New Jersey is the upset of the East.

Philly in 7: Philly will beat the Pens around and in the end will have the better scoring depth. The Pens have the tools to take it to 7 games, but no Hossa=1 round and out.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JCardinal »

Wow, a lot of Detroit picks there, I'm not so sure. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to see them swept in the first round.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

JCardinal wrote:Wow, a lot of Detroit picks there, I'm not so sure. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to see them swept in the first round.
If there is one thing I am sure of it is my uncertainty. Detroit could get swept, as could Chicago. San Jose is in for a tough series and one stumble could see them panic. San Jose has a huge amount of pressure on them, and Anaheim is going to come out hitting.

And of course of beloved Canucks are in for a tough series as well. I say we lob a flu bomb on StL. It worked last time.
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Anahiem in 7
Detroit in 5
Nux in 5
Chicago in 6

Boston in 5
Rangers in 7 (this will be the best series of the first round)
Jersey in 6
Philly in 6
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Repeal-56a
AHL Prospect

Post by Repeal-56a »

Mellanby_equals_grit wrote:I'm not here to troll, just to talk hockey.
I on the other hand AM here to troll. I will talk hockey if push comes to shove.

EDIT: Oops, oh yeah, Blues in 7 very agonizing games.
Bret H
MVP
MVP

Post by Bret H »

Anaheim in 7 (too bad for the Sharks they have to face Anaheim... think their not-so-successful playoff history will continue)
Detroit in 4 (they'll get their act together when it counts)
Canucks in 5
Flames in 5

Boston in 5
Washington in 6 (sorry Markus...)
Carolina in 6 (this prediction actually makes even me wonder what I'm thinking of)
Pittsburgh in 6
Last edited by Bret H on Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Sharks in 6. There's no way the Ducks can upset after losing 2/3 of their best checking line. Discipline will be huge and the Ducks have very little of that. Sharks are impossible to beat at home and have one of the league's best powerplays. Beauchemin returns in the nick of time but the Sharks are just deeper and better.

Wings in 5. Steve Mason may steal one game but that's about it. Detroit's just way too tough for the Jackets, no matter how hard they work.

Canucks in 6. No one beats Luongo and the Blues have very little substance on their blueline.

Hawks in 6.
Calgary's going to have trouble containing the Hawks' transition game, especially with Campbell, Keith, Seabrook, and Barker. The big wildcard is Jokinen, and I'm not sold. The Hawks' offense will be too much to handle for the Flames.

Bruins in 5.
I still don't think Price is quite ready for full-time 1A status and with no Markov in front of him it's only going to get harder. Chara can handle any Habs forward and Ryder will burn Montreal.

Caps in 6. Zero potential for upset here because 1) the Rangers have no offense to take advantage of Theodore, 2) no one on the Rangers blueline can handle Ovechkin, and 3) the Rangers are only in the playoffs because of their great SO record... which is meaningless in the playoffs.

Canes in 6.
If this series goes to 7 games it's NJ, but they've been stumbling lately and Brodeur's only been okay (for his standards) since the '03 Cup run. Ward's been unbelievable and Staal too - Maurice has been a nice breath of fresh air and he'll bring about the only upset in the opening round.

Pens in 7. Everything is a toss-up but two things work in the Pens' favour: Marc-Andre Fleury and home-ice advantage.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

San Jose in 7 - I think this is the year that they will get the monkey off their back re. can't do anything in the playoffs.
Detroit in 6 - They have Columbus outmatched on everything but goaltending, and while Osgood may not be the best tender in the league, three stanley rings would indicate that he does have the ability to step it up when the time is right.
Van in 6 - So long as all cylinders continue to fire, we have this one; if Sundin comes out of the wallpaper then we really have a chance to take this run far.
Chicago 7 - The Bulin Wall has been present for the last portion of the season; the team is young, but has tons of talent and hunger - this could be a very good year for the windy city.

Boston in 5 - Too much uncertainty for Montreal right now and Price has the potential of folding like he did in last year's playoffs - the B's are too strong.
Washington in 7 - NYR has been playing a lot better under torts and could pose a real threat against washington, especially given the strength of their tending, but I see washington as too high powered with the likes of Ovechkin, Green, Semin and Backstromm.
Carolina in 6 - Brodeur has not been strong in the playoffs since his last cup, as jchockey noted. NJ's play has cooled off the last bit of the season and Carolina is playing very strong.
Philadelphia in 7 - by a hair. Pitts has crazy firepower and does have good experience in the playoffs now, but for some reason I just see Philadelphia taking this series. Going with my gut on this one.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Cajanek_Dvacetsest
AHL Prospect

Post by Cajanek_Dvacetsest »

Blues will take this series in 7. Vancouver will forget about Curtis Sanford beating them and will rue the day they tried to sign David Backes. Trolling is an abomination so I will not do that but this series should be a wild one even without Minnesota! :P
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Cajanek_Dvacetsest wrote:Blues will take this series in 7. Vancouver will forget about Curtis Sanford beating them and will rue the day they tried to sign David Backes. Trolling is an abomination so I will not do that but this series should be a wild one even without Minnesota! :P
Don't they have Blues sites for you to play on? :P
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

It will just be all the sweeter when we send them packing. :lol:
the Cunning Linguist
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Cunning Linguist »

Welcome, MEG!
LotusBlossom wrote:
Cajanek_Dvacetsest wrote:Blues will take this series in 7. Vancouver will forget about Curtis Sanford beating them and will rue the day they tried to sign David Backes. Trolling is an abomination so I will not do that but this series should be a wild one even without Minnesota! :P
Don't worry about LB, Cajanek, that's just her way of welcoming guests... See? She even put on some lipstick for you.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

the Cunning Linguist wrote:Welcome, MEG!
LotusBlossom wrote:
Don't worry about LB, Cajanek, that's just her way of welcoming guests... See? She even put on some lipstick for you.
:lol: yeah I am the CC welcome wagon.

;)
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde