What do you miss?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Antony
CC Rookie

What do you miss?

Post by Antony »

At the face-off circle, you never see a player rip tape off his stick and hand it to the official. I missed that. It was a nice, co-operative gesture that made the referee or linesman a more intimate part of the game. Did they outlaw it? Probably. It would be seen as blurring the roles, a bad thing in the modern game. To bad.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: What do you miss?

Post by Cornuck »

Oh man, you have opened a huge can of worms.... :D

Me? I miss white boards with no ads on them. I miss the fans cheering during stoppages (instead of inane music).

Give me those 2 things and I'd enjoy hockey a lot more.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Antony
CC Rookie

Post by Antony »

How about a goalie who has a definable body?
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

There was something I had been missing but it seems to be coming back lately and that's the Canucks winning. I'm just loving this streak their on.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

How about a goalie who has a definable body?
That's the big one. We'll never have a truly offensive game again until the unnecessary padding is brought down to a reasonable size.
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Shorty on 1040. Can't stand Joey Kenward. Whenever a goal is mildly complex he feels the need to tell you in detail what happened before yelling "GOAL" or "He shoots he scores". Talk about being late to the party, I'm not even a huge Shorthouse fan, but definitely don't like Kenward.

Oddly, I think Rick Ball does a good job on the play by play, even though I think he's an obnoxious poser on his lunchtime show.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

I miss having a coach that I respect behind the Canucks bench. Okay, that's my zinger. Seriously, I miss the times when we didn't have an instigator penalty.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Antony wrote:How about a goalie who has a definable body?
This has to be one of the biggest negatives in the game today. We could do away with all of Buttman's bullshit by deflating the Michelin men.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I miss the time when ticket prices were affordable and all hockey fans could buy a ticket. The arena was filled with people who enjoyed the sport ( these days I seem to be surrounded by people talking office shop and politics)

The salary pendulum has swung too far.
cheers
clangan
AHL Prospect

Post by clangan »

I miss seeing the player's faces. Guy Lafluer flying down the wing with his hair whipping along is something I'll never forget.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

I miss the old schedule when your team played every team every season and hockey was over in May.Hockey in June is as ridiculous as trying to have a NHL team in Tampa or Phoenix.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Pavel Bure. Nuff said. :(
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

Farhan Lalji wrote:Pavel Bure. Nuff said. :(

yeah just kinda.. don't even care if he is on the Nucks again.. i loved watching the panthers. The panthers this year could use Bure so badly.. they would be sick.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

All these are great points, especially the dignity of the game (no ads on boards; no music overload). Even the goal fog horn is rather contrived just like the applause "encouragement" from the scoreboard. The crowd knows when to score and in real hockey towns the roof is blown off WITHOUT the need of a horn....16,000 people can do that on their own.

I also miss ONE referee...'nuff said.

I miss Canada having SEVEN teams...it just seems incomplete w/o Winnipeg & Quebec City.....the rivalries aren't the same any more.

I miss NOT having teams in Forida, Tampa Bay & Nashville

I miss the Hartford Whalers.....the Adams division was complete w/ them, Boston, Quebec, Buffalo & Montreal.
This is the best alignment the NHL ever had http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988-89_NH ... _standings
They never should have changed a thing, including the divisional & conference names. Man I despise Bettman.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

ps I meant to add, most importantly....

I miss Jim Robson!!!
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy