I hate the Canucks! I love the Canucks!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

I hate the Canucks! I love the Canucks!

Post by BingoTough » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:46 pm

This is the bit of being a nucks fan that sucks.

Really sucks.

But....

they're going to get better. Who knows when. At least the people on this forum can count themselves among the seriously faithful. For me it's since about 85 when I grew up across the road from one of the Canucks' support staff and got free PJs and a souvenir canucks hockey puck.

How about you?

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: I hate the Canucks! I love the Canucks!

Post by Cornuck » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:55 pm

I guess there's a difference between being a 'fan' and a 'fanatic'.

I haven't lived in Vancouver for 12 years, but I'm a diehard. Why? Mostly because I love the sport and the Canucks just happened to be my home team. But after 30+ years, it really becomes an obsession to see these (interchangeable) guys succeed. When the magic moment comes and the Canucks finally get their name on the Cup, it won't matter whose names are on there, it will only matter that the word C-A-N-U-C-K-S is engraved.

Hopefully that will be in my lifetime... other teams have been waiting longer than us.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:59 pm

Cornuck wrote:I guess there's a difference between being a 'fan' and a 'fanatic'.

I haven't lived in Vancouver for 12 years, but I'm a diehard. Why? Mostly because I love the sport and the Canucks just happened to be my home team. But after 30+ years, it really becomes an obsession to see these (interchangeable) guys succeed. When the magic moment comes and the Canucks finally get their name on the Cup, it won't matter whose names are on there, it will only matter that the word C-A-N-U-C-K-S is engraved.

Hopefully that will be in my lifetime... other teams have been waiting longer than us.
I was 10 their first season (a Habs fan before that) so unfortunately I have seen it all.

The only good news -- which falls into the misery loves company class -- is:

1) Buffalo, which had so many years of being so superior to Vancouver (due to Gilbert Perreault), still hasn't won a cup. They made us look feeble for so many years but at least they have never won it all. So are both franchises are cursed ?
2) Toronto hasn't won since Vancouver has been in the league. Is Toronto and Vancouver part of the same curse ?

Our huge problem in the early years was total ineptitude and a complete lack of ability to draft and develop. Now we're stuck in mediocrity, not bad enough to be sellers at the trade deadline and not good enough to go anywhere.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:28 pm

dr.dork wrote: 2) Toronto hasn't won since Vancouver has been in the league. Is Toronto and Vancouver part of the same curse ?
Toronto, LA, Chicago, St. Louis - Am I missing anyone? Man - that's a pretty depressing group to be in!

I got into hockey just before the Canucks joined the league. My parents went to the first game and I still have the stub - the program was promptly cut up and glued to the walls. :D

Except for the Messier years, I've followed them as much as I could and now it's 1040 and this site getting me my fix. There aren't too many Canucks fans here in Chester Nebraska LOL!
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:54 pm

Cornuck wrote: Toronto, LA, Chicago, St. Louis - Am I missing anyone? Man - that's a pretty depressing group to be in!
Yes, and of course Buffalo and Vancouver.

Boston is barely out, they won in 71-72. Minnesota tried to sneak out by pulling a shuffle (and a bit of an hiatus) but they haven't won it all either, and pulling that stunt isn't going to get them off the hook. So add them to the ineptitude list.

So we're not the only useless pile of crud.

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:09 pm

Like I've been saying:

IF the Canucks can make the playoffs and finish no lower than 6th, we are in EXCELLENT shape to be a major dark horse.

-I don't think it matters if the Canucks win the division.

-I don't care too much about the Canucks' current struggles.

Given the fact that the Canucks are very much alive and well and in the playoff picture, combined with them getting healthier, I'm far more interested to see what their month of February will look like.

-Even if Sundin completely sucks for the rest of the year (just as Linden did the entire 06/07 season), I think this guy will be an absolute beast come playoff time (just as Linden significantly stepped up his game in the 06/07 playoffs). This of course, assuming that we make the playoffs. This is also assuming a worst case scenario.

-Although I believe that Luongo will struggle with consistency for the next 5-6 games, I am positive that he will return to his earlier season form when February hits.

-After the month of February, if the Canucks look like they could be dangerous, Gillis will still have some cap space to make this team even better.

-The Canucks will not battle confidence issues forever. We are still very much in the "thick of things" (i.e. tied for 5th with one less game in hand) and we are getting our health back. If the Canucks were 7 points out of a playoff spot, then it would be a different story.

No one remembers or cares about who wins divisionional titles.

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:13 pm

p.s. I became a "die hard" fan in 1988. That was the year that the "upstart" Canucks almost defeated the powerhouse Flames in the 1st round that year. Although the Canucks lost that serious, the heart that they showed made me a fan for life.

Earlier that year, I also had the pleasure and honor of meeting Trevor Linden...who signed my puck! I was 7 years old at the time.

Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:34 pm

I'll admit I'm not a true Canuck fan, or a fan of any NHL team for that matter. I tend to like individual players. As a young 'un, I saw Bobby Orr and the Bruins at the Coliseum in 1971. To a 6-year old kid, that's a pretty magical experience.

But the Canucks are the local team, so they are the one I'm familiar day-in, day-out. When they suck, I don't watch them much. When they're playing well, I'll tune in. I guess I can take 'em or leave 'em. I always prefer that they have a good team, mostly so that it gives me something interesting to tune into, and it keeps the hockey atmosphere in town more exciting. I don't see things through any rose-coloured Canuck glasses, preferring instead to call things as I see them, with no bias involved. People who tell it like it is are far more interesting than some pom-pom waver who refuses to look at the realities of the team.

I won't spend a dime on the NHL, and haven't actually spent even one dollar on the NHL since the last time time I paid for a game ticket back in 1995. I'll go to a game if I get the company tickets and the opponent is an interesting team. Otherwise, I can't be bothered. Instead you can find me down at the Coliseum watching the Giants. I'll gladly pay my $15 to watch genuine effort and enthusiasm every game instead of investing any time, energy or cash in the NHL in it's current state. Call me back after contraction. A 24-team NHL would be great; but I'm afraid we'll see a team in Myrtle Beach, S.C. before Bettman ever agrees to contract the league.

So to clarify, call me when Bettman is dead. Maybe there will be some hope for the league then.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!

woodhog
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by woodhog » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:03 pm

I've been a suffering fanatic since March 28, 1971 when I attended my first Canuck game vs. the California Golden Seals at the age of 12.
The Canucks won by a score of 11 - 5. I was hooked.
I start every season optimistic and end every season disappointed... although '82 and '94 were pretty exciting.
Almost every year the team goes through a slump similar to the one they're in now and often at this point of the season.
My worry this year is that if this lasts much longer we'll be out of a playoff spot and we all know how hard it is to make up points late in the season.
Right now in the conference there are 8 teams within six points of us and 7 of them have games in hand.
I realise that there are still 36 games left but if we fritter away points for two or three more weeks it could be curtains.
It seems to me that the team is either : A) waiting for Mats and Lui to save the day,or B) they want a new coach.
All I know for sure is these sorry performances have to stop soon or we'll be on the outside looking in.

Larry Goodenough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Larry Goodenough » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:03 am

I was born the same year as the NHL version of the Vancouver Canucks. I think those of us who have lived with this team through the 80's have a unique view of the franchise. I guess you could say were are scarred enough from that decade of ineptitude that .500 these days often sounds like a real success.

My first real Canuck memory is of listening to the 1979 playoffs against Philadelphia on the radio with my Dad while we waited for a ferry to Nanaimo. I recall how big it was that those young guys like Smyl, Gradin and Fraser were able to take the first game from the Bullies.

1982 was great - fond memories of playing little league during some of the playoff games and getting score updates from our parents between innings. I was lucky enough to be at game 3 of the finals that year and recall how cool it was in the rink when Smyl scored that one and only goal on Billy Smith. I was also in the Coliseum for the first game of the 1982-83 season when they raised the Cup Finals Banner.

As you get older, you tend to feel less emotional about wins and losses and look at the game in a more logical and analytical fashion. You just appreciate taking a short break from life to watch your favourite team play. But, after a 30 plus year emotional investment - I would imagine a Cup win would be a great thrill even today.

Being married with 2 kids under 3 years old also puts a damper on your abilities to watch games as much as you used to. This year I often end up saving a game on the PVR and don't get a chance to watch the end until after midnight. However, I did take my 2 year old daughter to the open practice this year and she seemed to enjoy it. Fingers crossed I've got another player/fan in the making.

Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:55 am

Dammmmm you guys make me feel old... I was at a game when the Canucks won the cup ( 1964? Western league - Phil Maloney first star at the forum :) ) and I went to the first NHL Canucks home game ( yeah we lost ) in 1970.. This team has been a hard luck team from the first coin toss when the Sabres got Gilbert Perrault... and then we ended up second to last... so we missed first pick next year too ( Marcel Dionne ).. But being ancient has its advantages... I have seen the best not just of the Canucks but of all hockey.. Rocket Richard in 54.. Howe and Sawchuk and all of the great Canucks players.. Now I'd just like to see them win that dammm Stanley before I croak ;) This years edition looks promising.. the bodies are in place if they'd just play 100% they got a good shot at it... But then again... if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle..

:(
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(

Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:29 pm

Farhan Lalji wrote:Like I've been saying:

IF the Canucks can make the playoffs and finish no lower than 6th, we are in EXCELLENT shape to be a major dark horse.
But how is this possible without Burtuzzi, Naslund and Morrison?

Off topic Cornuck, Nebraska eh? I'm working for clients who live in Nebraska but are building a house here in the boonies outside of Bralorne. Weird.

I love the Canucks.

I hate the Canucks.

I don't care about the Canucks anymore....... but WAIT! ... they won a game.. I LOVE THE CANUCKS!

Robert
MVP
MVP

Post by Robert » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:39 pm

Mikodat wrote:Dammmmm you guys make me feel old...
:(
I'm pretty sure my first live game was seeing Jim Rutherford the Detroit goalie without a mask. :oops:

BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:15 pm

Growing up I remember "suffering" with a hockey-hating family for years (well, hockey-disinterested family). I would check the North Shore News every week for tv listings, hoping they would be playing on Saturday night. More often than not though I wouldn't get to watch as "the fam" wanted to watch something else.

Playoff time was heaven, even though the Canucks didn't feature very often.

My intense like turned to mild-fanaticism in 91 when I heard from a friends that the Canucks games were on the radio. I listened to most games they played from then until I left Vancouver in 2000. As annoying as he is, I listened to Dan Russell most off-nights.

Now living overseas (London), I listen to the Rick Ball podcasts for a daily fix on the way to work, and if a Canucks game has been on I'll listen to that throughout the day (always being careful to avoid this site and CDC so I don't see the score). Sometimes, on a Saturday evening I'll go to bed early, wake up at 3am and watch the Canucks on the net. Boy, that hurt baaaad when they played Buffalo.

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:23 pm

BingoTough wrote:Growing up I remember "suffering" with a hockey-hating family for years (well, hockey-disinterested family). I would check the North Shore News every week for tv listings, hoping they would be playing on Saturday night. More often than not though I wouldn't get to watch as "the fam" wanted to watch something else.
I feel your pain. The 'fam' tolerated me watching the odd game.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound