Luongo's return...

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Cannie
CC Veteran

Luongo's return...

Post by Cannie »

Well, Roberto Luongo was back on the ice today, and judging by the interviews with Bobbi-Lu and AV, he is getting closer and will probably be ready to play before the end of the month.

Canucks management has a difficult task, trying to shackle an athlete who is absolutely chomping at the bit to play. Vancouver is in an ultra-competitive conference where every point counts towards making the playoffs (and gaining home ice advantage); but on the other hand, if there is another groinal setback, our best-laid plans could blow up.

Remember, the all-star game is in Luongo's hometown this year. Sportsnet mentioned that Luongo's (very sharp looking!) all star jersey was hanging in his locker today. AV was asked under what circumstances Bobby-Lu would be permitted to play in the all-star game, and he was noncommittal (obviously).

Big decisions.

Cannie
:towel: :towel: :towel: GO CANUCKS GO!!! :towel: :towel: :towel:
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Re: Luongo's return...

Post by Madcombinepilot »

after the last setback, I think his enthusiasm to get back will be tempered by doctors warnings...
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
nucklehead88
CC Veteran

Post by nucklehead88 »

HE BETTER NOT FREAKIN PLAY IN THE ALL STAR GAME! THAT BOYS VALUBLE!!!
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

Madcombinepilot wrote:after the last setback, I think his enthusiasm to get back will be tempered by doctors warnings...
I think if he's smart enough he'd be tempered by his own concern for his health. Groin injuries are things that stick around with you forever. If Luongo takes care of himself now he can reduce the chance that this is going to happen again likely and often. After he was rushed to return the first place I think he's learned his lesson. He should have been able to learn that lesson from other goalies past. Operating word being "should"
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch
Miller Time
AHL Prospect

Post by Miller Time »

I wonder what effect Luongo's injury might have on the Canucks chances of resigning him in the summer. Could this maybe make him a bit cheaper?
Stupidity doesn't count as a handicap - park elsewhere.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

No, his status is enshrined. He's a max value player by any standard, the question is whether he is one of the guys who are willing to take less to insure a quality team or not.
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

I think the only question is whether or not he wants to stay. If he stays, you do whatever you can to make him happy unless his contract demands are ridiculous.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

randymeeks wrote:I think the only question is whether or not he wants to stay. If he stays, you do whatever you can to make him happy unless his contract demands are ridiculous.
YES! Or wait another 30+ years for an elite goalie.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

Cornuck wrote:
randymeeks wrote:I think the only question is whether or not he wants to stay. If he stays, you do whatever you can to make him happy unless his contract demands are ridiculous.
YES! Or wait another 30+ years for an elite goalie.
No worries if Luongo leaves. After all, Mason Raymond and Cody Hodgson will lead this team to the promised land in a few years....when the Canucks as a team are at their PEAK. :roll: Heck - No worries about Ohlund and Sundin leaving. We'll have Schneider, Grabner, Raymond and Hodgson to lead the way! :drink: :mex: :stupid:
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

You mean if he asked for a 15 year contract you wouldn't sign it? :lol:
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Don't be shocked if we end up having to dish out 10 years 85 million, with a NTC, to keep him. Not the end of the world, but Big Lou is going to do pretty well out of this negotiation.
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Tom Larscheid reported on the pregame show vs St Louis with Rick Ball that Loungo is looking at coming back on
Thu Jan 15, 2009 VS the Coyotes
Being from Montreal, he is very motivated to attend the all star game (may or may not play)

I can hardly wait to have him back. Larsheid mentioned that the Canucks have been very careful with Louie.....
I guess we'll see.
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Farhan Lalji wrote:No worries if Luongo leaves. After all, Mason Raymond and Cody Hodgson will lead this team to the promised land in a few years....when the Canucks as a team are at their PEAK. :roll: Heck - No worries about Ohlund and Sundin leaving. We'll have Schneider, Grabner, Raymond and Hodgson to lead the way! :drink: :mex: :stupid:
Yes, Farhan, you got it right. That is exactly what those who say we should be careful about trading away the future believe. Raymond is the next Bure, and Hodgson is the second coming of Yzerman. Nice strawman.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Yes, Farhan, you got it right. That is exactly what those who say we should be careful about trading away the future believe.
The truly amazing thing, is that "those people" aren't even saying "we should be careful about trading away the future."

These people are getting their panties in a knot at the idea of trading Raymond....and a 1st.....for a guy (NOT in the final year of his contract) that could get us closer to making an impact THIS YEAR.

Even if I think it would be astronomically stupid to "trade away the future" (i.e. Hodgson, Schneider, etc., etc.).

If it was up to me, I'd much rather trade Mike Brown and a 7th round pick for Ilya Kovalchuk. Unfortunately however, this isn't EA 09 for X-Box 360. In order to receive, you have to give. If the Canucks want another 'key piece' that can help us this year, guys like Pyatt, Brown, Wellwood, etc., won't fetch us much. It's not like I hate Raymond or anything. I think the guy's got talent....but that's exactly why he's great trade bait. We can get a guy, NOT in the final year of his contract, that can help us NOW.........when we have...

-The best goalie in the league
-Amazing depth at center
-Amazing depth on defense
-A combination of the strengths of the team that we had during 01-04, and 06-07.

This of course, is assuming that we are 90%+ healthy....otherwise my above is a moot point.
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Farhan Lalji wrote:The truly amazing thing, is that "those people" aren't even saying "we should be careful about trading away the future."

These people are getting their panties in a knot at the idea of trading Raymond....and a 1st.....for a guy (NOT in the final year of his contract) that could get us closer to making an impact THIS YEAR.
Care to state who this player is? If you are talking Guerin or Weight, Hell yea, I will get my panties in a knot. That would be supremely naive.
Farhan Lalji wrote:Even if I think it would be astronomically stupid to "trade away the future" (i.e. Hodgson, Schneider, etc., etc.).

If it was up to me, I'd much rather trade Mike Brown and a 7th round pick for Ilya Kovalchuk. Unfortunately however, this isn't EA 09 for X-Box 360. In order to receive, you have to give. If the Canucks want another 'key piece' that can help us this year, guys like Pyatt, Brown, Wellwood, etc., won't fetch us much.
Again, nice strawman. I don't believe I ever posited that we should trade Brown and spare parts for Kovalchuk. In fact, were it an option, I would seriously consider trading both Sedins for him. And if you can get him for Raymond and a first and whatever else, then yes I would jump on that train. Not going to happen though.
Farhan Lalji wrote:It's not like I hate Raymond or anything. I think the guy's got talent....but that's exactly why he's great trade bait. We can get a guy, NOT in the final year of his contract, that can help us NOW.........when we have...

-The best goalie in the league
-Amazing depth at center
-Amazing depth on defense
-A combination of the strengths of the team that we had during 01-04, and 06-07.

This of course, is assuming that we are 90%+ healthy....otherwise my above is a moot point.
So who is this guy again that is not in the final year of his contract and can really help the team? And just for clarification, I did not say that we should never trade Raymond, I said that we shouldn't trade him unless we have something coming back that is not a rental and is already a proven asset.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu