Interesting What Could Have Been.....

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Interesting What Could Have Been.....

Post by randymeeks »

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=262431

When Nonis traded for Luongo, he wasn't sure if Luongo would a long-term contract in Vancouver. Plan B was to trade Luongo back to Tampa Bay for Vincent Lecavalier and he asked Tampa g.m. Jay Feaster to throw in defenceman Paul Ranger on top of it.

I find it interesting that Darren Dreger says getting Lecavalier could have been a once in a lifetime chance. As far as I'm concerned, trading for Luongo was our once in a lifetime chance. When your franchise goes 36 years without having a franchise goaltender and you are able to get him in a trade, why would you want to trade him back out, even if it means getting a franchise centre in return?

Thankfully Luongo chose to sign with us and this never happened. In my 31 years of existence, I can say that Luongo is the best player we have ever had in my lifetime.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
Cannie
CC Veteran

Re: Interesting What Could Have Been.....

Post by Cannie »

Many a general manager has said, it is the trades they DON'T make that define their success or failure.

Cannie
:towel: :towel: :towel: GO CANUCKS GO!!! :towel: :towel: :towel:
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

I'd take Luongo over Lecavalier any day. It's defense that wins Championships. Unless Lecavalier has a GAA under 2. I don't want him.
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

randymeeks wrote:I find it interesting that Darren Dreger says getting Lecavalier could have been a once in a lifetime chance. As far as I'm concerned, trading for Luongo was our once in a lifetime chance. When your franchise goes 36 years without having a franchise goaltender and you are able to get him in a trade, why would you want to trade him back out, even if it means getting a franchise centre in return?
I think both Lecavalier and Luongo are once in a lifetime chances. If Luongo didn't want to sign with Vancouver, trading him to Tampa for Lecavalier would have made sense. Obviously plan A was to sign him, plan B was trade for Lecavalier. Bertuzzi, Auld and Allen for Lecavalier is still a nobrainer.

Nonis, although not perfect, made one of (if not) the best trades ever. Nonis got him now it is up to Gillis to sign him again.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Agreed, only IF he wouldn't have signed that extension. That said, flipping Bertuzzi for Lecavalier still would have been pretty sweet.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy