LaBarbera or Sandford?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

nucklehead88
CC Veteran

LaBarbera or Sandford?

Post by nucklehead88 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:43 pm

When everyone is healthy, who should stay? Who should go? Should it be Bobby Lou and the Sandman, or La La Luongo and La La LaBarbera? thoughs?

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: LaBarbera or Sandford?

Post by Cornuck » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:37 pm

I'd hate to be the one making the choice. I would think that who ever we go with it will only be until the end of the year.

As much as I like what I've seen of LaBarbera in the Orca, I also feel that it is the excitement of playing for the Canucks that is help him play. That could wear off soon and we could see the LaBarbera that the Kings let go for a bag of pucks.

Sanford has shown consistency throughout the year, and if I were going to decided today, I'd go with Sandman.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

nucklehead88
CC Veteran

Post by nucklehead88 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:44 pm

but sandford had his chance to step up when luongo went down and he didnt perform. AV himself said why he kept changing between sandford and schnider was because no-one stepped when they had to. labarbera is in fact doing so. in my opinion

Cannie
CC Veteran

Post by Cannie » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:46 pm

I expect a bit of an audition tomorrow and Saturday, with AV choosing Labarbera to go tomorrow night vs. St Louis, and then Sanford taking his turn vs. San Jose the next day. I think they are very even at this point, with LaBarbera having a slight edge, but lets hope it is a minor point given Luongo is back in pads and a distinct possibility to return in 4-5 games.

Just to clarify, do JL and CS have to clear waivers to be sent down?

Cannie
:towel: :towel: :towel: GO CANUCKS GO!!! :towel: :towel: :towel:

JCardinal
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by JCardinal » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:05 pm

nucklehead88 wrote:When everyone is healthy, who should stay? Who should go? Should it be Bobby Lou and the Sandman, or La La Luongo and La La LaBarbera? thoughs?
I was wondering that myself with the news of Louie maybe coming back sooner than later. Sanford has played very well but so far Labarbera has played unquestionably better, he's yet to let in a bad goal.

Personally, if it's an audition like someone else posted then I'd like to see Labarbera against the Sharks not Sanford.

I've heard of teams carrying three goaltenders, is this even a possibility because let's face it both Louie and Sanford have big question marks over them with recent injuries?

nucklehead88
CC Veteran

Post by nucklehead88 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:23 pm

well one question with that is....how do you juggle goalies with roberto luongo as one of those goalies lol. thats like juggling marty brodure with keven weekes and some other guy....kinda off if u ask me. but its an odd situation none the less

Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:26 pm

an audition for what??!?!?

the ability to ride the pine when Lu gets back? Lu will play every game but 2 after he returns, and whomever 'wins' that audition will be dissapointed. most backups do not want to play less than 10 games a year... .except sandford.

Normally, I would say you 'ride the hot goalie', but in this case, we will carry three untill we are sure that Lu is back, then prolly dump one at the trade deadline. Unfortuanly, it will prolly be Labarbra... but good for him, as he has shown he wants to actually play.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.

Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:26 am

MadCombine, I disagree. I think LaBarbera will win out over Sanford. LaBarbera has a different desire than other players, to play for this team and will do almost everything to win. Thats a trait Gillis is looking for, and one that AV is looking for. I think any partial back up who would think he has a chance to win would ride pine behind Luongo.
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch

dangler
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dangler » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:52 am

Cornuck wrote: As much as I like what I've seen of LaBarbera in the Orca, I also feel that it is the excitement of playing for the Canucks that is help him play. That could wear off soon and we could see the LaBarbera that the Kings let go for a bag of pucks.
It might just be the excitement of playing for the Canucks thats helped him rebound,like you say, we'll see
Madcombinepilot wrote:an audition for what??!?!?

the ability to ride the pine when Lu gets back? Lu will play every game but 2 after he returns, and whomever 'wins' that audition will be dissapointed. most backups do not want to play less than 10 games a year... .except sandford.

Normally, I would say you 'ride the hot goalie', but in this case, we will carry three untill we are sure that Lu is back, then prolly dump one at the trade deadline. Unfortuanly, it will prolly be Labarbra... but good for him, as he has shown he wants to actually play.
This is probably going to be the scenario allright,but if Luongos groin injury flares up again(esp. if it where the playoffs) we don't want:
nucklehead88 wrote:AV himself said why he kept changing between sandford and schnider was because no-one stepped when they had to.
The back-to-back games this weekend will definately play into this decision but from what i've seen so far,I say keep Labarbera.
Loui is tougher to get rid of than ear hair

Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:53 am

There is no contest here. if Labarbera plays good against the Blues he will start against the Sharks. Av I think will ride the hot goalie until Lou returns.

As who gets the backup job when Lou returns, who cares thats still three weeks away. I don't think Lou if healthy should play until Wednesday January 28th vereses the Preds.
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!

Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:24 am

As I understand La Barbera problem over the years is conditioning, some thing that Canucks can address. Stanford problem has been he's too short for todays game nad his style. When La Barbera is in the butter fly position like Lou and Auld and most other of todays goalies he's still tall in the net, because he's 6'3"/225. So if it were me as much as Stanford has done sterling service and is well liked you can't risk the chance of having another injury or set back to Lou and expect to have Stanford replace him.

It's clear cut IMO
cheers

Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:05 pm

nucklehead88 wrote:When everyone is healthy, who should stay? Who should go? Should it be Bobby Lou and the Sandman, or La La Luongo and La La LaBarbera? thoughs?
Labarbera is a better goalie than Sanford in my opinion. Far more durable as well. I would keep Labarbera hands down.

The only instance where I would keep Sanford ove Labarbera, is if Labarbera continues to be extremely impressive for the next month and really ups his trade value. If this occurs, then I'd strongly consider packaging Labarbera to see what would be offered.

In all likelihood however, there won't be too much interest (and if there is, it won't be for the value that we'd request).

long story short - I'd easily keep Labarbera based on what we've seen so far. He seems far more durable as well.

Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:20 pm

I just worry how much of this Labarbera has been from the affect of moving to a new team and just a bit hot right now. His numbers aren't that stellar since coming to the nhl. Sanford has been pretty consistent this year and the team really likes and is behind him. I'm not too sure on what i would do if im managment. I would probably lean a bit more toward Labarbera. But i wonder if he can continue his play like this if say Lu comes back and goes down again. We'll see i guess

Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:11 pm

I hate to say it, but LaBarbera seems to be playing over his head.

Compare his LA stats to the starts in Vancouver, and I think his 'real' numbers would lie somewhere in between.

2008-09----Los Angeles Kings------19----2.83---0.893
2008-09----Vancouver Canucks------4-----1.93---0.938

He played on a non-contender, and came to a team with good D. Is that all that was needed to boost his stats? Or will he come down to earth and play like a mid pack goalie (or worse)?

I'd love to see a local boy stick with the team and do well. I'm sure he could learn a ton from Luongo as well and improve as a player.
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

dangler
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dangler » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:04 pm

Jovorock wrote:There is no contest here. if Labarbera plays good against the Blues he will start against the Sharks. Av I think will ride the hot goalie until Lou returns.
I hope your right J-roc,that would be a true test for Labarbera IMO.

Sanford coming back from an injury & having to play one of the leagues best teams while the "new guy", brought in as your subsitute, is doing your job better than you where when you got hurt, seems a little too much for most goalies.

A win against the Sharks would be a nice way to start the 2nd half of the season :mrgreen:
Last edited by dangler on Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loui is tougher to get rid of than ear hair