Quinn for Coach ?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

trouble

Quinn for Coach ?

Post by trouble »

I have always had a soft spot for Pat Quinn and it was great watching him coach the Canadian WJ win the Gold..

One thing i would love to see is Gillis letting AV go and replacing him with Quinn..

With a few good moves at the deadline and the team staying healthy and Quinn befind the bench i say we would have a better then average shot at winning The holy Grail
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Quinn for Coach ?

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

AV isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He is a good coach and he has been dealt another season with a team ravaged by injuries. I like Quinn as a coach and I could see him ending up in Coilertown if they lose another game or three this week. McTippsy is on a short leash right now .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

Quinn = too old. He'll be 66 later this month I believe. Having him go to a very young team like the Oilers just isn't a good fit.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
trouble

Post by trouble »

Sid Dithers wrote:Quinn = too old. He'll be 66 later this month I believe. Having him go to a very young team like the Oilers just isn't a good fit.
Quinn just proved he can work with younger player.. Gold In WJT and Under 18 Gold. I think he would just be fine where ever he coaches

Quinn just has a present when he walks into a room.. Younger players are in awe
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:AV isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He is a good coach and he has been dealt another season with a team ravaged by injuries. I like Quinn as a coach and I could see him ending up in Coilertown if they lose another game or three this week. McTippsy is on a short leash right now .
McTavish isnt going anywhere. He's been with the franchise too long and worked too many miracles with those kids. What they need is to let Dwayne Roloson go and stop fooling themselves that he's a starting goaltender. He's too old. They need someone decent in net and the rest will take care of itself.
Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

feritflame wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:AV isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He is a good coach and he has been dealt another season with a team ravaged by injuries. I like Quinn as a coach and I could see him ending up in Coilertown if they lose another game or three this week. McTippsy is on a short leash right now .
McTavish isnt going anywhere. He's been with the franchise too long and worked too many miracles with those kids. What they need is to let Dwayne Roloson go and stop fooling themselves that he's a starting goaltender. He's too old. They need someone decent in net and the rest will take care of itself.

First off, I could care less how well the Oilers do. Let's just get that straight. BUTT, I don't think MacT is that bad of a coach. Like every other coach in the NHL, he works with what he is dealt. I've never been a fan of Dwayne Roloson. I think he's so highly overrated and as a matter of factly, his age shows in his on-ice performance. On the other hand, if he (MacT) does happen to get fired, Quinn is a damn fine coach. Players like playing for Quinn, and to his own fault, he is probably the ultimate "Player's coach". It could work for him or against him. I could see Quinn in Oiler country for a few reasons...

1) Open, run and gun style of hockey...Quinn likes it and for many years, we were privy to it in Vancouver. Oilers play that style.
2) Based on his track record with players in the league, he has this uncanny ability to get the best out of them without being a totalitarian, unlike Mike Keenan.
3) Quinn manages locker room personalities very well. The egos are checked.
4) Who wouldn't want a man who has coached Olympic gold, Under 18's Gold, World Juniors, Spengler Cup, World Cup of Hockey to wins?

Yeah I could see Quinn coaching in the NHL again and the Oilers would be a good fit for his style and his candor.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

feritflame wrote:
McTippsy has made the playoffs three times in nine years chief. That isn't exactly Helen Fucking Keller when it comes to working miracles. Maybe you need to remove your head from the snow cuz your brain is clearly frozen. You must have thought Donut Dave was doing a marvelous job here too. :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

McTippsy has made the playoffs three times in nine years chief. That isn't exactly Helen Fucking Keller when it comes to working miracles. Maybe you need to remove your head from the snow cuz your brain is clearly frozen. You must have thought Donut Dave was doing a marvelous job here too. :lol:
Donut Dave didnt exactly get the chance to do a marvelous job. When he was finally going to get some cap space freed up he got the scape goat firing for a team that lost its composure down the stretch. He brought in Luongo and chose the conservative method of not ripping the team apart. I don't think he got the chance to do a marvelous job. The deadline's he passed had very little to offer and I for one am glad he didnt lock up Brad Richards for more cap space than he's worth.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

trouble wrote: Quinn just proved he can work with younger player.. Gold In WJT and Under 18 Gold. I think he would just be fine where ever he coaches
Let's be honest, lots of people could take the Canadian WJC team and win gold.
trouble wrote:Quinn just has a present when he walks into a room..
So does the Dali Lama, he probably could coach the WJC Canadians to gold as well.
trouble wrote:Younger players are in awe
Doesn't mean he's the man for the job. Quinn has worked almost exclusively with veteran teams in the past. Canucks were older teams, leaves were older teams. The lowdown is that he doesn't prefer to work with younger players. He's been a pretty good NHL coach, but if I'm a young team looking to keep building, I can't feel good about starting with a 66-year-old guy.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

feritflame wrote:
Donut Dave didnt exactly get the chance to do a marvelous job. When he was finally going to get some cap space freed up he got the scape goat firing for a team that lost its composure down the stretch. He brought in Luongo and chose the conservative method of not ripping the team apart. I don't think he got the chance to do a marvelous job. The deadline's he passed had very little to offer and I for one am glad he didnt lock up Brad Richards for more cap space than he's worth.
I agree with you that DN wasn't given the opportunity to work with cap-space,however, the whole Richards thing is still a rumor, so it can hardly be used as a point to backup Nonis' lack of activity at the deadline. The package TB settled for imho was inferior to the so -called package VAN had on the table(if they did at all haha).
What did Nonis in, was his inability to augment the roster over the 07-08 off-season. The Richie and Isbister signings were total head scratchers( did we need more grinders who couldn't score? REALLY?), and so was his drafting of White and Ellington. Not to mention the style of play was putting season's tickets in jeopardy if it were to continue.

I was against the firing of Nonis at the time, but I really like what Gillis is doing so far, as I see an aggressive and more entertaining direction overall.

Gillis seems to know how to get players with specific attributes that help the team's specific needs. I say *seems* as its only half a season, i'm just saying I like what I see so far.

Now, back to Quinn, I don't think he is a great fit with the Oilers at all...he'd be a better fit in an Ottawa or Dallas type of situation. Where there is a veteran core underachieving. Which is why he was great going into Vancouver and Toronto. He doesn't like to use young players in the NHL. Look at the leaves...Sullivan? waivers. Jason Smith? waivers. Lumme and Jonas Hoglund and Robert Reichel? <strong>PRIMO</strong> ice-time.

I was happy to see him have success in at the World Juniors, but AT THAT LEVEL, the players ARE considered VETERANS.

Great coach though, I hope he gets NHL work again!
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Let me start this off with saying I love Quinn and think he's a great coach. People say the knock on him is that he's a veterans coach and doesn't use the kids on the team well. I don't buy the argument that Quinn has jumped that hurdle because he coached the under 18 and the under 20's to gold medals. It's kind of hard shaking the veteran's coach label when most of the team is the same age, or within a year or two of each other.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by westvandal »

Linden Is God wrote:Let me start this off with saying I love Quinn and think he's a great coach. People say the knock on him is that he's a veterans coach and doesn't use the kids on the team well. I don't buy the argument that Quinn has jumped that hurdle because he coached the under 18 and the under 20's to gold medals. It's kind of hard shaking the veteran's coach label when most of the team is the same age, or within a year or two of each other.
EXACTLY!
Technically , for a junior level, he was playing veterans.
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
Mozy
MVP
MVP

Post by Mozy »

Gillis seems to know how to get players with specific attributes that help the team's specific needs. I say *seems* as its only half a season, i'm just saying I like what I see so far.
I'll agree with you there. My biggest problem with bringing him in was he was an agent with no experience. Either theres something we didnt know about Gillis' history and he was secretly a GM somewhere in Europe or Aquaman lucked out in his pick. Gillis has grown on me by making moves like the one that brought us LaBarbera. Sundin I've been against from the very beginning bet lets see what it does. I'll be fully sold on Gillis after the deadline.

To Quinn, I think he's lost touch with the game. I tend to agree that anyone can coach the juniors and look good. I don't think he has the energy left to take on coaching an NHL team. He'd be better off in some administrative position if anything.