WHO should the Canucks get with their freed-up cap space?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

the toucan kid
CC Legend

Re: WHO should the Canucks get with their freed-up cap space?

Post by the toucan kid »

Schneider and Hodgson have real value, Grabner could make a package more appealing, but ultimately I concur that there is not much to work with towards putting a deal together. Our first round pick will need to be included in any significant trade we try to make, but I'm in favor of that. The only one I would hate to move is Hodgson, but would probably do it for Kovalchuk.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Since we don't know if Luongo is going to re-sign, Schnieder is our insurance. I'd like to keep him until we know what Roberto is doing. There is no way that I would trade Hodgson for a rental - any rental.

I'd happily package up anyone else outside of the 'core' and include picks to land a bona fide sniper. We will need one for the playoffs. I don't think we'll have to offer too much for a top 4 d-man rental (hopefully)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

I have serious doubts that Schneider will be able to take over the number one job after next season if Lou doesn't resign.
jchockey wrote: Cory Schneider didn't wow anybody with his call-up and even if he does post outstanding numbers with the Moose he hasn't done anything at the NHL level to prove that he is the real deal. He's still 2-3 years away from being starting material and he's already 22
That's exactly what I thought. Although his stats were crap at the start of last year in the A, and improved at the end. It might just be he's a slow learner but I believe he's a fair ways off from being the future #1 goalie for our team.

I wouldn't trade Hodgson either. He's shown signs that he's going to be a real star, and could probably be pencilled in for a second line centre spot next season.

Other than that we're pretty light on the trade front...
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

22 isn't old for a goaltender, they nearly always take longer. I think everyone is making far too much out of the alleged poorness of Schneider's play during this stretch. I honestly, but for a couple occasions, didn't think he was worse than Sanford or Lababs (aside from a brief streak) and his potential is unsullied in my eyes.

First, he wouldn't start next year, Luongo will be here until absolutely all hope for resigning him is vanquished. Second, if we do move Luongo, this team is rebuilding and, therefore, Schneider's performance wouldn't be all that crucial for a couple years. The team would need to tank to acquire some young talent, allowing ample time for Schneider to polish himself in the pros. Either way Schneider is still very much part of the future of this club, as a trade asset (no question he's just as valuable now as before the call up) or our future starter.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Of the 8 rookie goalies to have played five games this year, Schneider is:

3.38 GAA (7th)
.877 SV% (8th)
22 years old

Mason is 20
Rinne is 26
Pavelec is 21
Quick is 22
Stephen is 24
Deslauriers is 24
Bishop is 22

Hardly inspiring guys.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

This thread should be deleted. We're not going to be getting anyone unless (really soon) we turn this sinking ship around.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

dr.dork wrote:This thread should be deleted. We're not going to be getting anyone unless (really soon) we turn this sinking ship around.
Agreed.

Thankfully however, the Canucks now have Luongo back. Although we probably won't see the *real* Luongo for another 5-6 games, we'll have to keep our fingers crossed the his groin holds up.

February will be a very interesting month for the Canucks.

If it was up to me, I would discard this month (even with Luongo back), and reserve all judgment for February. Depending on how the Canucks play in February (when is the trade deadline?), I think Gillis can then decide what he wants to do.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Farhan Lalji wrote: February will be a very interesting month for the Canucks.
Could be. At the rate we're going backwards it may almost be too late by then. But the trade deadline is March 4th.

Lot of BIG iffs. IF Luongo is back to November form in Feb and IF Sundin is back to (close) to where he was last year and IF the rest of the team WAKES THE F**K UP (and gets back to the way they were playing in November), and IF there is chemistry with all the new lines then maybe there is a chance.

Unless Feb is lights out good we are either not getting anything or we're sellers. The only thing in our favour right now if that the division is weak weak weak. Colorado, Minnesota and Edmonton are all as terrible as we are. Calgary is incrementally better.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

the toucan kid wrote:22 isn't old for a goaltender, they nearly always take longer. I think everyone is making far too much out of the alleged poorness of Schneider's play during this stretch. I honestly, but for a couple occasions, didn't think he was worse than Sanford or Lababs (aside from a brief streak) and his potential is unsullied in my eyes.
Exactly. In your eyes. In our eyes. Everyone on this site knew that Schneider would turn out to be something decent. I'm not too sure the 29 other teams in the league are convinced. Like I said, Schneider didn't wow anybody with his call up and I'm not sure his stock rose enough to really make him a key part of a trade. Kevin Quick, however, is a different story. A relatively unknown, and I'm sure Kings fans are saying that he could be THE starter of the future over Jonathan Bernier, but regardless he has much more trade value than Schneider right now. In my opinion, anyway.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

jchockey wrote: Exactly. In your eyes. In our eyes. Everyone on this site knew that Schneider would turn out to be something decent. I'm not too sure the 29 other teams in the league are convinced. Like I said, Schneider didn't wow anybody with his call up and I'm not sure his stock rose enough to really make him a key part of a trade. Kevin Quick, however, is a different story. A relatively unknown, and I'm sure Kings fans are saying that he could be THE starter of the future over Jonathan Bernier, but regardless he has much more trade value than Schneider right now. In my opinion, anyway.
Yes. I was hoping as much as the next person that Schneider would do better. At the time I suggested not giving him more than a few starts but given all the injuries he was forced into active duty. He failed, and as a result his stock has clearly dropped. Does that mean he won't pan out ? No, but he has a tougher road now.

When you exceed expectations your stock goes up. When you disappoint it goes down. Schneider's play was disappointing and even he would say that. Of course his value hasn't dropped to zero but it is below where it was before.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Other than a couple games where he let in the fabled stumbling block of "one bad goal a game" - the adversary of every young goalie- he played quite well on a couple of occasions. He was very strong against the Wild and got blown out a couple times while his team was asleep. Nothing to be ashamed of in his play, and failure is not the word I would use at all. Look no one is trading for Schneider as an immediate starter, I agree then guys like Quick are of higher value, but teams generally look for picks and PROSPECTS. This stint did nothing to devalue him on the trade market, except to say that he can handle his own in the NHL when needed.

We have three seductive assets, Schneider, Hodgson and our 1st round pick. Schneider is the second most valuable of the three.

By the way if there is anyone in the organization who has lost his glimmer it's number 23, whose top pairing potential seems to have rounded out into more of a second pairing guy. That's not to say he won't wow is in the long term, but with the level of melodramatic impatience shown on this board...
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

dr.dork wrote: Unless Feb is lights out good we are either not getting anything or we're sellers. The only thing in our favour right now if that the division is weak weak weak. Colorado, Minnesota and Edmonton are all as terrible as we are. Calgary is incrementally better.
Agree with the divisional sentiment...but not the Canucks being sellers. We've been playing minus our best player, and with our anemic offense it's worse than the Capitals losing Ovechkin or Penguins Crosby because the other goalies are shit... It was pretty much understood that we'd be in GREAT shape if we could stay about .500 without him. Obviously we didn't, but it shouldn't shock anybody that we've lose more games than we've won.

I don't think that's the end of the world. 9 points separates 5th from 14th... So we could tank, but with Luongo coming back we should be alright. I can't fathom a situation where he's worse than Schneider, Sanford, or Labarbera have been.

Also...aside from Ohlund, Salo or Burrows I don't think there is anyone I'd be willing/able to trade come the deadline. We lack the superstar that will get us a decent package in return. Ohlund will not get us much more than a pick and a B-level prospect.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Anyone know any details on Ohlund? I know he left a game not long ago, but recently his play just reeks of the Ohlund of recent years, playing through pain and showing it. He looked great for most of the season while he was healthy, but he's far too slow right now and must be dealing with something.

For whatever reason, I believe our record since the lockout with Salo vs. without, is insanely better than anything he seems to do on the ice would indicate. So perhaps getting him and Luongo back will cure the mid-season ennui or whatever the team is going through.

We suck at home, so anywhere 3-6, it's really not all that important in terms of opposition. We do have to pick it up in order to safeguard our spot though.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Ohlund, Kesler, Hodgson, Mitchell, and Luongo are probably the five players I would refuse to listen to any sort of offers to.

Schneider's stock isn't zero, but considering how no one took the bait last year when we were CLEARLY dangling him means that perhaps this year even less GMs would be inclined to see him as a trade piece with considerable value.
Farhan Lalji

Post by Farhan Lalji »

dr.dork wrote:
Farhan Lalji wrote: February will be a very interesting month for the Canucks.
Could be. At the rate we're going backwards it may almost be too late by then. But the trade deadline is March 4th.

Lot of BIG iffs. IF Luongo is back to November form in Feb and IF Sundin is back to (close) to where he was last year and IF the rest of the team WAKES THE F**K UP (and gets back to the way they were playing in November), and IF there is chemistry with all the new lines then maybe there is a chance.

Unless Feb is lights out good we are either not getting anything or we're sellers. The only thing in our favour right now if that the division is weak weak weak. Colorado, Minnesota and Edmonton are all as terrible as we are. Calgary is incrementally better.
Good points:

I'll just add a few more things though:

1) As dismal as the Canucks have been lately, they are still 6th in the conference and are neck in neck with Anaheim for 5th....although seeds 7 through 10 have also closed the gap on the Canucks.

2) IF the Canucks are in a playoff spot by the end of February, then I would STILL suggest the the Canucks become ultimate buyers at the trade deadline......even if the Canucks still continue to be somewhat unimpressive. I still believe that with all of our current elements (i.e. a potentially playoff hungry Sundin, a healthy Luongo, etc.) that this team could still literally be one piece from doing some serious damage.

3) If the Canucks completely shit the bed by the time March comes around, then I recommend we become ULTIMATE sellers....a COMPLETE and utter firesale. That means Luongo, Sundin, Sedin twins, Ohlund, Mitchell, Salo, etc. all get traded. As crazy as that sounds, I would scompletely commit to a complete and utter firesale if this team falls completely out of the playoff picture. Luongo's trade value would be super high due to him having an extra year on his contract, while the others players would also command some great value. Hopefully however, three never happens.