Gillis teaches a lesson. G.M 101.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Soapy
MVP
MVP

Re: Gillis teaches a lesson. G.M 101.

Post by Soapy »

And don't embarass us all with the 'fire the coach'
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Sloppy ,I will respond to your drivel on March 1st. Pretty easy to criticize the GM in a losing streak when Ray Charles could see that the coach and the players are performing well below expectations. Let's give it another month before we analyze this situation shall we? If you are so enamoured with obese GM's that promise much and produce little there is a team in Toronto that has a pair of them. i'm sure they would love to have you. Nonis had 4 drafts and three seasons here and produced one playoff run and three decent prospects. Lets give Gillis the same amount of time before we start the whining and balling.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

bump
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Sloppy ,I will respond to your drivel on March 1st. Pretty easy to criticize the GM in a losing streak when Ray Charles could see that the coach and the players are performing well below expectations. Let's give it another month before we analyze this situation shall we? If you are so enamoured with obese GM's that promise much and produce little there is a team in Toronto that has a pair of them. i'm sure they would love to have you. Nonis had 4 drafts and three seasons here and produced one playoff run and three decent prospects. Lets give Gillis the same amount of time before we start the whining and balling.
Actually, for the last two years of Burke's tenure in Vancouver, it was Nonis making the deals with the players and their agents...so theoretically, if we're going to give Gillis the same amount of grace that Nonis received...we can add two more years to the table.

1) The Canucks were the team of February. 9-2-1. They are 5th in the Western Conference...They just need to continue their winning ways.

2) This trade deadline will not BREAK Gillis, but it could make him. The rookie GM is looking decent thus far, those that think otherwise can take their heads out of their proverbial asses.

3) If you look at the team at this point, although there are some holes, they aren't looking to badly for a bunch of buckets and helmets. The coach is the same, a couple of bench boss changes to help out AV and some toughness and skill inserted into the talent pool. Not so bad.

The Canucks really need to show what they are made of starting now. The month of March dictates the momentum going into the playoffs. We'll see just how "genius" or not Gillis is come April. Until then, I will give Gillis some leeway, because if Nonis can get the Red Sea, I can give Gillis at least the Fraser River.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

The strech run and then ultimatley the play-offs are measure of a teams character, I'm sure that's the way MG will be looking at it too. His first year as Manager with a roster like he has built. I think MG tried to address character as much as any thing during his signings. The end of last season was not pretty and if they bomb again, this summer won't be pretty either.
cheers
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Fred wrote:The strech run and then ultimatley the play-offs are measure of a teams character, I'm sure that's the way MG will be looking at it too. His first year as Manager with a roster like he has built. I think MG tried to address character as much as any thing during his signings. The end of last season was not pretty and if they bomb again, this summer won't be pretty either.
Same record as last year at this time.

I am on the record as saying Nonis was sacked prematurely, but I don't pay his salary and the team has every right to make their own decisions (obviously). And Gillis has not done anything dumb in his tenure. I am completely fine with Gillis thus far.

Having said that, he should be largely sitting on his hands during this trade deadline day. Hockey trades or cap trades, yes, selling our future, no.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Having said that, he should be largely sitting on his hands during this trade deadline day. Hockey trades or cap trades, yes, selling our future, no.
I too am an advocate for keeping our first round pick, Hodgson and Schneider (aka our "future"), but would have no problem moving any of Raymond, Bernier, Grabner, Hansen or our 2nd rounder. That doesn't mean we can make a huge splash, but I think we might be able to tempt a reasonably winger or center out of somewhere to help up front.

I'm also in agreement, the winning streak is nice, but in my eyes all they have done is evened out the losing streak. Now it's time to take it up a notch and that means more from Luongo, Sundin, and frankly Daniel Sedin (goals please - 4 in January? 3 in February?).
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

It really depends on the deal. I don't think we can say absolutely (given our position) that we're NOT trading our first round pick, Hodgson, Grabner or Schneider. With all the FA's we have next season, we have to keep all the options open to make a run this season.

I'm not advocating trading the pick (I don't like rental players), I'm saying we can't rule it out completely. It really is deal dependent. Landing a guy like Kaberle might be worth the pick now, and moving forward.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Hodgson is OFF limits as far as I'd be concerned. Just imagine how far Detroit would have gotten if they'd have traded a young Steve Yzerman....now I'm not saying Hodgson will pan out that well but you never know. Any other prospect and pick is fair game but there's something special about that kid that doesn't come around very often.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Broda
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Broda »

ClamRussel wrote:Hodgson is OFF limits as far as I'd be concerned. Just imagine how far Detroit would have gotten if they'd have traded a young Steve Yzerman....now I'm not saying Hodgson will pan out that well but you never know. Any other prospect and pick is fair game but there's something special about that kid that doesn't come around very often.
Couldn't agree with you more. Look at all the top teams in the nhl. For the most part they are all very good developing teams. The canucks of the past have been so much of a piece from here guy from here fit this guy here. I love that this franchise as of right now has a new philosophy of producing from within. Guys like Hodgson, Grabner and Schneider need to be given time to season. Look at Detroit they don't bring guys up till they know they are capable of playing NHL caliber minutes.
Gillis is hopefully going to follow through with his promise of turning the canucks into a competative team year in and year out. I think the only way to do that is develop your own talent.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

ClamRussel wrote:Hodgson is OFF limits as far as I'd be concerned. Just imagine how far Detroit would have gotten if they'd have traded a young Steve Yzerman....now I'm not saying Hodgson will pan out that well but you never know. Any other prospect and pick is fair game but there's something special about that kid that doesn't come around very often.
I hear what you're saying Clam. I don't want to trade Hodgson either, my only point was that I hope Gillis is keeping his eyes and ears open to see what is around the league. If Pittsburgh needed to dump salary and offered us Malkin for Hodgson and our First, we can't immediately say "NO".

Sorry for the extreme example, but to say that anyone is off limits is extreme, imo everyone has a price.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I really hope that people's expectations for Hodgson are that he will ever be franchise center. He's a good player, but playing in a media market with false expectations you can never live up to can only hinder him.
Kel
MVP
MVP

Post by Kel »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
I hear what you're saying Clam. I don't want to trade Hodgson either, my only point was that I hope Gillis is keeping his eyes and ears open to see what is around the league. If Pittsburgh needed to dump salary and offered us Malkin for Hodgson and our First, we can't immediately say "NO".

Sorry for the extreme example, but to say that anyone is off limits is extreme, imo everyone has a price.
It is extreme but in reality, it's pretty much the truth. Nothing you can offer to Pittsburgh or Washington is going to get you Malkin or Ovechkin. There are some players who are franchise players and actually there's one in Vancouver right now too.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Yeah I'm not so sure, you never know what that Ovechkin contract will necessitate a trade.

Malking and Crosby are making a pile of money in Pittsburgh and I think it might come down to one or the other at some point if they don't want to be Ottawa.

Looking at a guy like Lecavalier, I wouldn't think he'd get traded...but it's almost happened this season.

People on this forum have openly talked about trading Luongo even before he enters his final contract season.

There's always a price, especially when dealing with good but unproven prospects.

Disclaimer... anyone who thinks I WANT to trade Hodgson can shove it. I'm VERY big on the kid, my only point was that we should listen to all offers and assess them with where this team should be heading.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Island Nucklehead wrote: Disclaimer... anyone who thinks I WANT to trade Hodgson can shove it. I'm VERY big on the kid, my only point was that we should listen to all offers and assess them with where this team should be heading.
When a GM (Gillis) says Hodgson is untouchable what he really means is you better give me an untouchable in return. Or to put it another way, Hodgson is untouchable if you want to talk about a rental. Our first (this june) is also untouchable for a rental.

Nobody is untouchable (unless they have a NTC/NMC), but what the label really means is don't waste my time without a very very good return.

One of Malkin or Crosby will be moved out of Pittsburgh IMO. I don't know how it is possible to be too strong down the middle, but Pittsburgh has managed to do it. Even with the cap at $56M, Pittsburgh has $27.5M tied up in Fleury, Gonchar, Malkin and Crosby. If the cap drops to $44M, they will have about $16 to spend on 18 players, and about $4M of that is tied up in Staal ($4M for a third line center ??!!). They are screwed and their only way out is to shed top end contract(s). They are way too top heavy. My guess is that Pittsburgh will try to trade quantity for quality. i.e., trade Malkin/Crosby for 4 reasonably good $2M dollar players. Since Crosby is the face of the franchise, my guess is Malkin will likely be moved (I would rather have Malkin).