Gillis teaches a lesson. G.M 101.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Gillis teaches a lesson. G.M 101.

Post by Joe Rockhead »

Mike Gillis taught aspiring G.M's a lesson with the sighning of Mats Sundin to Vancouver. Had Pat Quinn and Gorge McPhee followed this lesson Wayne Gretzky could have been a Canuck!

All you can do is present an offer, make the player feel wanted and show your a team in contention and leave it alone. When his agent calls you reiterate your offer and express your continued interest.

You don't give ultimatums, negotiate through the media (God no!), you don't get pulled into to answering questions constantly. You do what Mike Gillis did, Announce your offer and keep what you know about any changes close to your chest, while showing respect for the players wishs to get his thoughts together. The reason Sundin signed in Vancouver is because Mike Gillis didn't waver in his wish to have Sundin. He didn't trade the available cap room away or chase other quality players. Mats knew from the start and all along that Vancouver wanted him and Mike Gillis kepy the door wide open. Montreal , Philly, Chicago and exspecially the Rangers didn't, with teams falling by the wayside as things came to a head.

I'm not nessecairly a fan of the signing, but do like the way Mike Gillis show class and determination. It shines a positive light on the organization and bodes well for attracting future free agents. Despite what the Eastern media may say.
Don Cherry for P.M.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Gillis teaches a lesson. G.M 101.

Post by Cornuck »

Yes, it looks like a textbook play. Add in that he signed for just one year and it's as close to genius as GM can get.

We added a top 3 forward and lost nothing other than Aquaman's money.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

How much cap room do we have left now ?? Does Gillis have any room to possibly grab someone else down the stretch for a playoff run ??

Grizz
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Grizzly wrote:How much cap room do we have left now ?? Does Gillis have any room to possibly grab someone else down the stretch for a playoff run ??
Grizz
Apparently about $3M according to the Sun (this morning). So yes, we still have room to grab someone. Probably some defensive help due to Salo never being healthy.

Regardless of how this turns out Gillis has done well. It was and is a good gamble. His years as an agent and knowing how to deal with players has paid dividends.
Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Joe Rockhead »

I've heard conflicting reports on this Grizz. One (1040) mentioned 6mill, another (tsn) said 2.5. Most likley somwhere in the middle. Still enough to go for a top sixer at the deadline.

So lets start looking at teams that ain't goin' to the show and see who we can take and for what! Being a hockey fan when your team still has cap room is fun!
Don Cherry for P.M.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Joe Rockhead wrote:I've heard conflicting reports on this Grizz. One (1040) mentioned 6mill, another (tsn) said 2.5. Most likley somwhere in the middle. Still enough to go for a top sixer at the deadline.

So lets start looking at teams that ain't goin' to the show and see who we can take and for what! Being a hockey fan when your team still has cap room is fun!
The undisclosed amount is pro-rated for the 10 million/year offer. It's between 5.5 to 7 million. There is about 3 million in cap space as we speak.

yeah not bad. Some blue line help would work, but it's not that big of an issue right now...would be nice to negotiate something prior to the deadline.

NHL Roster freeze starts today till December 27th.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Joe Rockhead »

L B I don't want more help on the blueline I want a top six powerforward at the deadline.
Don Cherry for P.M.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Joe Rockhead wrote:L B I don't want more help on the blueline I want a top six powerforward at the deadline.
Sean Avery's available :P

I'm sure the Stars are going to end up eating some of that salary. ;)

So, who can we poach? That's on a team not looking playoff bound and can get for a relatively cheap trade off...as far as I know, Shanny's the only one available on the waiver wire..

Could this be a time to bring up Hodgson?

Options options...a new concept for us Canucks fans. :)
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

Joe Rockhead wrote:L B I don't want more help on the blueline I want a top six powerforward at the deadline.
I want a puckmoving defenceman and another scorer to round out the roster. Realistically I feel we'll get one of the two at the deadline and if I had the choice I'd pursue the defenceman. Someone who can make a good breakout pass and/or rush the puck when necessary. Bieksa can rush the puck, Edler can make alright breakout passes, other than that the rest of the defence is pretty non-existent where a transition game is concerned. Someone like Filip Kuba out of Ottawa (assuming they continue to struggle) or Mathieu Schneider from Atlanta would be perfect. After the Sundin signing I'm in 'win now' mode, so I'd be willing to trade any of our young players besides Hodgson. That includes Raymond (even though I'm still a big fan of his). We've got a unique opportunity to go for it 100% right now and we've been building up prospects and draft picks for an opportunity like this for a few years, so why not take it? Maybe I'm being overly optimistic considering we've yet to see Sundin hit the ice for us, but I feel we've got a pretty special team right now.
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

LotusBlossom wrote: Could this be a time to bring up Hodgson?
Hodgson is in junior for the rest of the year. The only way he can be brought back up is on a league-approved 'emergency' basis.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

levelheaded wrote:
I want a puckmoving defenceman and another scorer to round out the roster. Realistically I feel we'll get one of the two at the deadline and if I had the choice I'd pursue the defenceman. Someone who can make a good breakout pass and/or rush the puck when necessary. Bieksa can rush the puck, Edler can make alright breakout passes, other than that the rest of the defence is pretty non-existent where a transition game is concerned. Someone like Filip Kuba out of Ottawa (assuming they continue to struggle) or Mathieu Schneider from Atlanta would be perfect. After the Sundin signing I'm in 'win now' mode, so I'd be willing to trade any of our young players besides Hodgson. That includes Raymond (even though I'm still a big fan of his). We've got a unique opportunity to go for it 100% right now and we've been building up prospects and draft picks for an opportunity like this for a few years, so why not take it? Maybe I'm being overly optimistic considering we've yet to see Sundin hit the ice for us, but I feel we've got a pretty special team right now.
If the Canucks are in 'go-for-it-now' mode, a PP-type defenseman is most-needed. Salo has become too slow and most of all, too unreliable. Edler isn't ready for that big of a repsonsibility. Bieksa is okay, but an upgrade on him as a 1st-unit pointman would help a lot. I'm still against dealing our young talent away, except for Grabner, as I don't think he's figuring to be a significant NHLer. He's a bargaining chip the team can certainly afford to part with.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Sid Dithers wrote:
levelheaded wrote:
If the Canucks are in 'go-for-it-now' mode, a PP-type defenseman is most-needed. Salo has become too slow and most of all, too unreliable. Edler isn't ready for that big of a repsonsibility. Bieksa is okay, but an upgrade on him as a 1st-unit pointman would help a lot. I'm still against dealing our young talent away, except for Grabner, as I don't think he's figuring to be a significant NHLer. He's a bargaining chip the team can certainly afford to part with.

I'm all over finding a QB Dman with you guys. With the exception of Taylor Pyatt, I rather like our front end. Salo has been hurt too much these days to rely on. He's also not shooting the way he used to...
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I'm not sure Fat Quinn was to blame on that one. I think the Gretzky negotiations was above Quinn and more of ownerships play; I think it was one of McCaw's henchmen.

Joe Rockhead wrote:Mike Gillis taught aspiring G.M's a lesson with the sighning of Mats Sundin to Vancouver. Had Pat Quinn and Gorge McPhee followed this lesson Wayne Gretzky could have been a Canuck!
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I'm not sure Fat Quinn was to blame on that one. I think the Gretzky negotiations was above Quinn and more of ownerships play; I think it was one of McCaw's henchmen.

Joe Rockhead wrote:Mike Gillis taught aspiring G.M's a lesson with the sighning of Mats Sundin to Vancouver. Had Pat Quinn and Gorge McPhee followed this lesson Wayne Gretzky could have been a Canuck!
That has Stan McAmmond written all over it!
Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Joe Rockhead »

From what I understand George Mcphee called Gretzky at two a.m and demanded he sign then. Wayner told him to go pound sand.
Don Cherry for P.M.