Gillis teaches a lesson. G.M 101.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Gillis teaches a lesson. G.M 101.

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

dangler wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:

traded the 1st round pick-%100 B.S.,Nonis and every other G.M. in the league had realised that the way to build a team was through good drafting and good player development.I don't believe this for a second

Cowan would be our toughguy-No,he had already proven he was not capable of that job and any other productive role for that matter.It was obvious at that point that the team needed to upgrade their toughness and Nonis would have dealt with that.

Nobody except Nonis and his cook know for sure whether he would have dealt the pick for Cammaleri but ed Willes and Ian McIntyre both said that he planed to make that deal at the draft and they were both the resident Nonis apologists/Gillis bashers. If anything they wouldn't make up shit that would make their buddy DN look bad.

Maybe Cowan wouldn't still be our tough guy, but there's no way in hell Nonis would have brought in all of the size and toughness Gillis has aquired. This team has been bootfucked for the last three years before this year, so Nonis is all of a sudden going ice a team that has some balls and plays physically ??? Highly unlikely. He may have signed hordichuk, but there's no way he would have brought in O'brien, Bernier and Davison.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Fred wrote:
Merry Christmas to you Blob
Isn't he one of the worlds hidden gems, humble, happy, cheerful. ;)

I'm extremely happy and cheerful. You still bitter about that Dion comment Fred ?? 8-) You make me sound like the 2nd coming of SRsez. I guess you can always ignore my comments if you find that they are a little too colorful for you. There are plenty of vanilla posters here. 8-)
I think they are going to kick me out of the cafe I am sitting at because I just laughed so hard... Blob is the new Messiah of message boarding! FACT!
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I think they are going to kick me out of the cafe I am sitting at because I just laughed so hard... Blob is the new Messiah of message boarding! FACT![/quote]

Messier or Messiah ?? :lol: Merry Christmas LB
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by randymeeks »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:If Big Dave had still been running things we would likely still have Morrison, would have probably traded our 1st round pick( this was rumored by Nonis's media puppet..........bye bye Cody Hodgson) for Cammalerri, signed Brunnstrom and would likely not have dealt for Bernier and O'Brien. Cowan would likely be our tough guy and Davison and Hordichuk would likely have signed elsewhere. Krapjeck would likely still be coughing up the puck and getting worked over in front of his own net. Nonis didn't like having a big, tough team so the Canucks would still be getting bounced around the rink like they did in the three previous seasons. Obviously it is impossible to predict all of this but I think we can all agree that this team would definitley not have the toughness and size it currently posesses.

The firing of Dave Nonis is the biggest reason for this team's turnaround.

Couldn't agree with you any more, Blob. Much has been said about all the excuses for Donut Dave not addressing our secondary scoring (no cap space, no prospects to trade away, teams wanting to much in return for their players, blah, blah, blah) but there are absolutely NO EXCUSES for not addressing our lack of team toughness. MG did more in one summer than Donut Dave did the whole time he was here when it comes to team toughness. He has even upgraded our secondary scoring. Even without Signing Sundin we clearly have more depth up front than what we have had in years.

If we keep DN, I firmly believe that Luongo leaves town after next season.

[/quote] Nobody except Nonis and his cook know for sure whether he would have dealt the pick for Cammaleri but ed Willes and Ian McIntyre both said that he planed to make that deal at the draft and they were both the resident Nonis apologists/Gillis bashers. If anything they wouldn't make up shit that would make their buddy DN look bad.

Maybe Cowan wouldn't still be our tough guy, but there's no way in hell Nonis would have brought in all of the size and toughness Gillis has aquired. This team has been bootfucked for the last three years before this year, so Nonis is all of a sudden going ice a team that has some balls and plays physically ??? Highly unlikely. He may have signed hordichuk, but there's no way he would have brought in O'brien, Bernier and Davison.[/quote]

Trading a first round pick (Hodgson) away for Cammaleri would likely have been one of the worst trades in Canuck history. How would signing Brunnstrom, trading for Cammaleri and signing the Sedins to extensions (which no doubt would have had no trade clauses included, further restricting our ability to improve the team thru a trade) make us a tougher team, even if he did sign a heavyweight like Hordichuk? Tonight, we were able to match Anaheim's size and toughness. It was horrible to watch Anaheim bounce us around the rink in previous years. You have to be tough to go 4 rounds. Even Detroit had size and toughness in their line-up last year, even without a heavyweight.

MG is going to continue to be judged, but so far, he looks like a far better g.m. than what DN was by a country mile.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Nonis may be fat, stupid, etc. but he did pull off the greatest trade in the history of the franchise. Hopefully MG tops that in his tenure. I mean having ample cap space to sign Sundin is a good move, but it's not a coup like getting Luongo. Really all Gillis has done is replace Demitra with Naslund, trade in Cowan for Hordichuk and draft Hodgson at slot. Okay O'Brien for Krycek is a nice move, and Bernier has fit in, but really the team is better due to player progression and a stroke of luck in Wellwood. MG is off to a good start, but I don't see any stroke of genius in Gillis' track record (yeah, yeah Keenan).
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

[quote="Blob Mckenzie: Nobody except Nonis and his cook know for sure whether he would have dealt the pick for Cammaleri but ed Willes and Ian McIntyre both said that he planed to make that deal at the draft and they were both the resident Nonis apologists/Gillis bashers. If anything they wouldn't make up shit that would make their buddy DN look bad.
.[/quote]

Heavens no,tabloid writers would never make shit up :lol:
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Funny how all of the Nonis apologists who were so devastated when that fat pile of shit got fired have now scattered to their holes or changed their tune. I got a kick out of all of the whining and crying when Gillis got hired and that Nonis got a raw deal.

If Big Dave had still been running things we would likely still have Morrison, would have probably traded our 1st round pick( this was rumored by Nonis's media puppet..........bye bye Cody Hodgson) for Cammalerri, signed Brunnstrom and would likely not have dealt for Bernier and O'Brien. Cowan would likely be our tough guy and Davison and Hordichuk would likely have signed elsewhere. Krapjeck would likely still be coughing up the puck and getting worked over in front of his own net. Nonis didn't like having a big, tough team so the Canucks would still be getting bounced around the rink like they did in the three previous seasons. Obviously it is impossible to predict all of this but I think we can all agree that this team would definitley not have the toughness and size it currently posesses.

The firing of Dave Nonis is the biggest reason for this team's turnaround.
We (I) just did not see the plan. MG seemed like a pompus prick. He has been lucky, smart, & ...like everyone else has pointed out that no other GM the Canucks have had....an actual care about the players needs & the patience.....man is MG patience.
I thought we were going to start all over again. I had missed that MG has been very close to the NHLPA for a long time & knows the players very well. He has filled spots that I was begging DN to fill....size & toughness....anyhooo
I like what MG has done....now that Sundin has signed....that was the big fish...& he landed him.....he has done what I thought would take at 2 years in 1 year.
Now Blob, to call Nonis a fat pile of shit.....your name is Blob......do you own a mirror? :) Nonis did get a raw deal but it was to clean out the old & bring in the Aquaman team.
To speculate what Nonis would or would not have done is not smart. Its fun though. Nonis is the reason Edler & or Kesler & or Schenider is/are still on the team.
You say Hodgson when you might say Beach
You say The firing of Dave Nonis is the biggest reason for this team's turnaround....Nonis IMO did not have the confidence of Aquaman....you are right.....it was the best thing to get rid of a GM with no power...that fat piece of shit :)
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

I'm still not a fan of MG. I'm not sold yet. And I'm still a Nonis apologist.

I honestly don't think this team is that much better than last year's version, although the inclusion of Sundin does make this one better. I think the only move that MG has made to make this team better was bring in Bernier and O'Brien (who played a great game against Edmonton). I think Sundin fell in our lap because we had so much cap space - cap space that Nonis would've had had he not been fired.

Obviously Nonis' tenure as GM will forever be remembered as the Luongo trade, but his legacy will always be speculation. The jury's still out on MG. We'll have to see how he does at the trade deadline when things really heat up. I think this is one of the years in recent memory in which there is a distinct possibility that a couple names will be moved - Gaborik, Spezza, Kovalchuk, etc.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

the toucan kid wrote:Nonis may be fat, stupid, etc. but he did pull off the greatest trade in the history of the franchise. Hopefully MG tops that in his tenure. I mean having ample cap space to sign Sundin is a good move, but it's not a coup like getting Luongo. Really all Gillis has done is replace Demitra with Naslund, trade in Cowan for Hordichuk and draft Hodgson at slot. Okay O'Brien for Krycek is a nice move, and Bernier has fit in, but really the team is better due to player progression and a stroke of luck in Wellwood. MG is off to a good start, but I don't see any stroke of genius in Gillis' track record (yeah, yeah Keenan).

You're only as good as your last trade/signing/draft... or so they say in GM world.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Difficult to judge DN or MG. DN at LAST had space to bring in players but never had the chance to show who is choices would have been. It would have been his first opportunity. MG brought in Demitra,Hordichuk Johnson, Bernier Wellwood and O'Brien. One genuine "star"type player Demitra, Wellwood by accident (they sent him down), Bernier unproven as yet, Hordichuk is as expected, Johnson nothing special. O'Brian is a 5-6 "D" who leads the league in PIM's.

The one thing MG has created is a "team" atmosphere and taking care of the players, let's hope he addresses the schedule problem in the summer.

Most didn't expect much and in that way he has exceeded expectations.

The best player on the team even after Sundin arrives is still Luongo DN addition. The success we enjoy this season will depend more on Luongo than any other player on the roster
cheers
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Fred wrote:Difficult to judge DN or MG. DN at LAST had space to bring in players but never had the chance to show who is choices would have been. It would have been his first opportunity. MG brought in Demitra,Hordichuk Johnson, Bernier Wellwood and O'Brien. One genuine "star"type player Demitra, Wellwood by accident (they sent him down), Bernier unproven as yet, Hordichuk is as expected, Johnson nothing special. O'Brian is a 5-6 "D" who leads the league in PIM's.

The one thing MG has created is a "team" atmosphere and taking care of the players, let's hope he addresses the schedule problem in the summer.

Most didn't expect much and in that way he has exceeded expectations.

The best player on the team even after Sundin arrives is still Luongo DN addition. The success we enjoy this season will depend more on Luongo than any other player on the roster
Pretty bang-on assessment there, Fred. But creating that team atmosphere is very integral to the success of the Canucks. So based on that alone, I'd say Gillis has done a great job with the supposed expectations of the team from the beginning of the season.

Luongo is no question the best goalie when healthy in the NHL, but the team has to learn to play in front of him. I like what I see so far. So I am going to credit that to Mike Gillis.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

I wonder if the change in atmosphere is due entirely to the loss of Linden, Naslund and Morrison or is it the addition of players like Hordichuk Johnson and Davidson, maybe both.
cheers
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Naslund seems like a holdover from a different era so I bet having him gone helped (not stirring up the old debate, or calling him a bad leader), but what about Mr. Motivational Speaker? Is it possible there's something to that? Nah...
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

the toucan kid wrote:Naslund seems like a holdover from a different era so I bet having him gone helped (not stirring up the old debate, or calling him a bad leader), but what about Mr. Motivational Speaker? Is it possible there's something to that? Nah...
ERxcellent point, I've been wondering about that myself if Ryan Walters is making in roads with these guys. I don't know if you have ever spoke to him but he's sooooooooooo positive
cheers
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Mr Blob...where are you now?
Boy that Nonis guy sure sucked.....those Gillis guys are a huge improvement.....

i think Nonis is really enjoying the donuts...

Please enlighten all of us fans to his next genius move........