Gillis teaches a lesson. G.M 101.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Soapy
MVP
MVP

Re: Gillis teaches a lesson. G.M 101.

Post by Soapy »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Sloppy ,I will respond to your drivel on March 1st. Pretty easy to criticize the GM in a losing streak when Ray Charles could see that the coach and the players are performing well below expectations. Let's give it another month before we analyze this situation shall we? If you are so enamoured with obese GM's that promise much and produce little there is a team in Toronto that has a pair of them. i'm sure they would love to have you. Nonis had 4 drafts and three seasons here and produced one playoff run and three decent prospects. Lets give Gillis the same amount of time before we start the whining and balling.
Here is my drivel.
First of all...I am not a obese GM lover....
I do (did) not see MG as an upgrade...imo...like you said.....lets see what he can do......although I think there is a TON more with the Aquman problem than there was a Nonis problem.....anyhoo....
can i NOW crticize on a winning streak......thanks......our third line centre is Welwad...freakin awsome???..I know we can move guys around but there were a lot of filthy,dirty checkers out there to be picked up.Did you see who Chicago picked up to stop the Sedins......or Calgary......
So what is the lesson that you were going to tell me on March 1st? that the best trade is no trade? I bet that was NOT what you were thinking....some thing bold perhaps.....neither was I.......MG has turned out to be more of a PAT QUINN than the 'pile of shit agent' that i thought was dropping in on us......
I agree with MG going forward....empty cupboard...bold moves.....GM's that promise a lot & produce little...hey, I think MG did the right thing in not making any move......it is a weird market these days...salary cap can go anywhere & no one is taking chances...hell I thought Lawton was making BOLD moves!!
I know MG will say that we are 'not there yet' & most of us will be happy to advance to the second round & lose a 'close one' in 6 games...hey I will be OK with that too..with the direction we are going we look OK....this season is turning out OK......now that THE BIG 10 MILLION $$ FISH has landed....nice catch MG.....
Now sign the Sedins, Ohlund, Sundin & Bouwmeester..........hello Stanley Cup
& don't call me Sloppy again fatso
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
-- Winston Churchill
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Actually MG did have a number of pick up's, he just did it before the bidding wars started at the deadline. He signed Sundin, LaBarberra and Vaananen, they all came free in as much as we never give any thing away of importance and we're a much better team with the additions. I'd call that astute management
cheers
DonCherry4PM
MVP
MVP

Post by DonCherry4PM »

Soapy wrote:So what is the lesson that you were going to tell me on March 1st? that the best trade is no trade? I bet that was NOT what you were thinking....some thing bold perhaps.....neither was I.......MG has turned out to be more of a PAT QUINN than the 'pile of shit agent' that i thought was dropping in on us......
Soapy, let me preempt this with the comment that I would like to add to the discussion but am by no means attacking, just debating.

I wasn't that much of a fan of Nonis but definitely would have liked to see AV get canned before him. That said, there were several things that I did not like during his tenure. One of the most aggravating was his consistent spending of draft picks on the ilk of Weinrich, Carney, Sanderson etc. Not that our drafting at that time was good enough to have made those draft picks worth something.... Hated the singing of Cloutier, but he did come back with one of the best trades in Canuck history.

Now, while I would not espouse the opinion that the best trade is no trade, I would say better no trade than a bad one. Yes, there is a dearth in our third line centre position, but that is not nearly as serious as a problem on one of the two top lines. Had we still been playing like the team of January, I would full-heartedly agree with you that Gillis did not do enough, but, as it stands right now, I don't have too much of a problem with his lack of activity on deadline day.

I also wonder as to how much team chemistry factored into his activity, or lack thereof. I haven't seen the team gelling like this for quite some time and, while that is more of an intangible, I still think it weighs heavily on a team's success. Now maybe that wasn't the reason he didn't make any trades and maybe he had some good potentials on the table and didn't pull the trigger, but what I do like about this deadline is that Gillis didn't panic; he held fast and, while that may not have been the best decision, in my opinion it was much better than another Smolinski, Bergevin, etc.

Now after all of that pontification, let me submit that, if he lets the Sedins walk without any return on July 1, I will come to agree with you.
Invincibility lies in oneself.
Vincibility lies in the enemy.

- Sun Tzu
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

DonCherry4PM wrote: Now, while I would not espouse the opinion that the best trade is no trade, I would say better no trade than a bad one. Yes, there is a dearth in our third line centre position, but that is not nearly as serious as a problem on one of the two top lines. Had we still been playing like the team of January, I would full-heartedly agree with you that Gillis did not do enough, but, as it stands right now, I don't have too much of a problem with his lack of activity on deadline day.
This whole thread started off as a vindication of Gillis' strategy of being patient in the ongoing Sundin saga. And I agree 100% with that strategy, whether it failed or not (and I repeatedly restated that agreement). But somehow everything devolves to a Gillis vs Nonis argument, and Nonis basically got fired for being patient.

Gillis hasn't done anything stupid yet, and although I was somewhat disappointed at the Nonis firing, I have to say I think Gillis has done a good job in the past 10 months. He resisted quite a bit of pressure (some of it on himself, no doubt) and didn't fire AV in January, and AV managed to help steer us out of that January debacle by remaining positive amongst a panicking populace. Where would we be now if AV was fired ? Hard to tell, but firing AV wouldn't have been the brightest move (in hindsight).

For a rookie GM with no experience whatsoever he has done very well.
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

dr.dork wrote:
For a rookie GM with no experience whatsoever he has done very well.
Not bad...so did Nonis as a rookie GM, but he had experience fetching Brian Burke's Diet Cokes before he took over BB's job. They won the NW title that year I believe. ;)

Yeah I like the on-ice product and the morale of the dressing room that Gillis has put together. They are really a fun bunch to watch most nights. 9 more games...this will be the tell tale of how they are going to be going into the playoffs. I'm excited.
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Gillis on the NHL Hour with Gary Bettman.

it's on NHL.com
parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Cornuck wrote: Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:37 am Yes, it looks like a textbook play. Add in that he signed for just one year and it's as close to genius as GM can get.
:mex:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Chef is gonna tweak over this thread

:lol:
If you need air...call it in
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Do you think Chef will call Eye Bags a genius? :mex:
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:46 pm Do you think Chef will call Eye Bags a genius? :mex:
I don’t think chef will call eye bags anything..

…I mean, it’s pretty hard to talk when you mouth is already full :lol: :drink:
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Soapy wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:19 am
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Sloppy ,I will respond to your drivel on March 1st. Pretty easy to criticize the GM in a losing streak when Ray Charles could see that the coach and the players are performing well below expectations. Let's give it another month before we analyze this situation shall we? If you are so enamoured with obese GM's that promise much and produce little there is a team in Toronto that has a pair of them. i'm sure they would love to have you. Nonis had 4 drafts and three seasons here and produced one playoff run and three decent prospects. Lets give Gillis the same amount of time before we start the whining and balling.

First of all...I am not a obese GM lover....

& don't call me Sloppy again fatso

I didn’t call you obese.

Nice to see you Slopster
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Been a long time.
I got nothing on the nickname jab... Globster?
i can do way better
-- Winston Churchill
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

:lol:

Gotta win tonight though buds
Soapy
MVP
MVP

Post by Soapy »

Blob Mckenzie wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:52 pm :lol:

Gotta win tonight though buds
In regulation time
-- Winston Churchill
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Fred wrote: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:46 pm
Merry Christmas to you Blob
Isn't he one of the worlds hidden gems, humble, happy, cheerful. ;)
I don’t think Fred is Gomer