Thoughts on Brian Burke

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

jchockey
MVP
MVP

Thoughts on Brian Burke

Post by jchockey »

I'll be the first to say that I'm a Brian Burke fan. I don't think he's the best GM in the league, or even in the top 5, but you have to admit he's done a great job in the league offices, and as a GM in Vancouver and Anaheim. The other day on OTR, Joe Keithley (apparently the head of a major Vancouver label, nicknamed "Sh*thead," and judging by the way he talks, it was self-explanatory) along with two other Toronto area media members ripped on Burke (the fourth guest was JFJ, and he took personal offense when one of them referred to the leaves as a "country club" team). They believe that Burke is going to hold off on all decisions regarding the Maple leaves in order to satisfy his ego while making the leaves increase their salary offers.

Personally, I thought that was another case of media members taking a shot at Burke. True, he has a huge ego, and true, that his departure in Anaheim left a sour taste in the Ducks' mouths, but I don't think he's holding off on the Toronto decision to make MLSE meet his salary demands. The panel believes that Burke is looking for a salary of around $4m, or close to whatever Bryan Colangelo's making as the Raptors' head honcho. When Burke was GM, he never held back anything and was incredibly loyal to the players and fans, although he did play hardball in contract negotiations. He definitely somewhat emptied our cupboard, but I think he learned his lesson in Anaheim when he refused to trade Bobby Ryan under any circumstances.

I think the Toronto media (once again) has a double standard. I'm not a big Ron Wilson fan, and it's consensus around the league that he's not a big fan of the media either and he does have a good-sized ego, but I didn't hear any grumblings from Toronto when he was hired. Now that Burke has "resigned" and taking his time to make his decision, it seems like everybody's turned on him. Personally, I think it's unfair and a cheapshot at a guy who's on the other side of the continent. Thoughts?
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Thoughts on Brian Burke

Post by Cornuck »

jchockey wrote:The other day on OTR, Joe Keithley (apparently the head of a major Vancouver label, nicknamed "Sh*thead,"
For the record, Joey Keithley is the lead singer of DOA and runs Sudden Death records. In no way could he be considered part of the media - opinionated? yes. But definitely not part of the media 'elite'.

I liked Burke when he was with Vancouver, but think that his ego has become to big for a GM. His next step should be owner. ;)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
George
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by George »

I've always been a big fan of Burke (though I haven't always supported his moves or outbursts), but I think this situation with the Ducks is a bit messy. There was lots of talk in the summer about him resigning with a year left on his contract and jumping to the leaves. Although he would've been criticized a bit for that as well, I think he could have pulled it off without much backlash, probably spinning it as a family decision, or a new challenge after winning in Anaheim.

Granted, he was apparently willing to stay for the season, and I don't blame him for wanting to get away from the ownership situation there, but if he knew he was never going to re-sign with them, it would have been better all around if he had left in the off-season, I think...
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

I was a big fan of Burke when he was here but have grown a little tired of his act since and believe his success in Anaheim was handed to him.

The ownership debacle in Anaheim and a desire to be "in the same time zone" as his kids are two very good reasons for him to part ways with the Ducks.

Does anyone know in what city his family resides?
George
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by George »

Boston, I think.
Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Post by Icebreaka »

Doesn't his wife Jennifer Mathers still live here?
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Cornuck wrote:
jchockey wrote:The other day on OTR, Joe Keithley (apparently the head of a major Vancouver label, nicknamed "Sh*thead,"
For the record, Joey Keithley is the lead singer of DOA and runs Sudden Death records. In no way could he be considered part of the media - opinionated? yes. But definitely not part of the media 'elite'.

I liked Burke when he was with Vancouver, but think that his ego has become to big for a GM. His next step should be owner. ;)
Probably one of the best songs ever was D.O.A's cover of the theme to Hockey Night in Canada. And the best band member name, Chuck Biscuits. (And for the millionth time, I am not exaggerating).

Umm, and Sudden Death Records wouldn't exactly be a major label...

DOA has a couple of other hockey related song's.
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

George wrote: Granted, he was apparently willing to stay for the season, and I don't blame him for wanting to get away from the ownership situation there, but if he knew he was never going to re-sign with them, it would have been better all around if he had left in the off-season, I think...
Good point, but I wonder if the Samuelis can sue (or at least make a deal about) MLSE for tampering? There's been no clear evidence that MLSE was going after Burke (Rutherford was first apparently) and a lot of it was media speculation. Michael Schulman admitted he was upset with Burke's decision, but he said he understood and was convinced that Burke's decision was made for family rather than hockey reasons. The only question is, why now?

dr.dork wrote:Umm, and Sudden Death Records wouldn't exactly be a major label...
I didn't know, I'm not really a fan of punk music and don't follow it. That was just what Landsberg said, obviously he said that to promote Keithley's new album.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Oh, people have turned on Burke alright, but you're wrong if you think it's just the media in Toronto.

Burke was getting his butt kissed by nearly everyone coast to coast this time last year, now the backlash has hit and everyone is horribly exaggerating his flaws.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

George wrote:I've always been a big fan of Burke (though I haven't always supported his moves or outbursts), but I think this situation with the Ducks is a bit messy. There was lots of talk in the summer about him resigning with a year left on his contract and jumping to the leaves. Although he would've been criticized a bit for that as well, I think he could have pulled it off without much backlash, probably spinning it as a family decision, or a new challenge after winning in Anaheim.

Granted, he was apparently willing to stay for the season, and I don't blame him for wanting to get away from the ownership situation there, but if he knew he was never going to re-sign with them, it would have been better all around if he had left in the off-season, I think...
The way I took it he did ask them to leave but they were stubborn and deadset on keeping him there. I believe the owners came out & said it was their goal to re-sign Burke amid all the original Toronto rumours.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

jchockey wrote:
George wrote: Granted, he was apparently willing to stay for the season, and I don't blame him for wanting to get away from the ownership situation there, but if he knew he was never going to re-sign with them, it would have been better all around if he had left in the off-season, I think...
Good point, but I wonder if the Samuelis can sue (or at least make a deal about) MLSE for tampering? There's been no clear evidence that MLSE was going after Burke (Rutherford was first apparently) and a lot of it was media speculation. Michael Schulman admitted he was upset with Burke's decision, but he said he understood and was convinced that Burke's decision was made for family rather than hockey reasons. The only question is, why now?

dr.dork wrote:Umm, and Sudden Death Records wouldn't exactly be a major label...
I didn't know, I'm not really a fan of punk music and don't follow it. That was just what Landsberg said, obviously he said that to promote Keithley's new album.
Not surprising, Landsberg (like alot of sports media/hosts) can be idiots when they talk about things they know very little about yet come across like they are actually informed (*coughPratt*cough*Taylor*). Sudden Death is a small independent label that basically serves the purpose of putting out Shithead's DOA albums. Now they've branched out a bit and issued a few titles by other acts as well.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Jovorock
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Jovorock »

I always thought Burke was average as a GM , the Canucks were better before him and better after him IMO. He got lucky with the young talent with the Ducks and getting Neidermeyer and Sallenne to get the Cup.

Last year he really screwed the Ducks on getting a second Cup because he sat back and waited for Neidermeyer and Sallenne to see what they wanted to do.

Now he will jump on the Laufs team who have rebounded very well, I don't think they will make the playoffs and are playing over their heads.

Burke has a hugh EGO, he's not as good a hockey man as he thinks!
Keep your friends and your enemies very close
You never know when you might have to stab one
of them in the back!
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

BB is an average hockey man at best. When it comes right down to it, I think he likes money a whole lot. Therefore, his ego and need to be in front of a camera keep people talking about him. This translates into additional press which gives some people the idea he accomplishes much more than he actually does. It keeps him in demand, which is good for his wallet. He's the ultimate snake oil salesman who believes that if he tells you something often enough and loud enough, then you eventually start to believe it. Even if it's a pile of cacca.
Last edited by Sid Dithers on Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I find it's tough to judge Burke's success. He turned a dismal Canucks team into a solid regular season team, but could not do squat in the playoffs. In Anaheim, many say he was handed the team, which is mostly true by the youth they had. In all fairness though, Burke did get Niedermayer and Pronger to the Ducks, which was a huge key to the Ducks winning the Cup. I think Burke's success will truly be evaluated when he goes to a team like the leaves who are essentially in shambles and do not have a great amount of youth in the system.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

[quote="Linden Is God"]I think Burke's success will truly be evaluated when he goes to a team like the leaves who are essentially in shambles and do not have a great amount of youth in the system.[/quote]

Very outdated statement. The leaves are one of the fastest, youngest teams in the league. Adding Schenn and Grabovski were huge.