Ex-canucks watch

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Post Reply
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:13 am
Location: Vancouver

Ex-canucks watch

Post by dr.dork » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:15 pm

At about the 12 game mark...

Player goals assists points +/-
Morrison 0 1 1 -7
Bertuzzi 7 2 9 -7
Naslund 4 7 11 -1
Jovo 0 0 0 -6
Cooke 0 2 2 -2

Bertuzzi and Naslund seem to be having a good start to (perhaps) some bounce back years. Mo and Jovo have been horrific (stats wise).

It will be interesting to see where they're at at the end of the year...

User avatar
the toucan kid
CC Legend
Posts: 3923
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:50 am

Re: Ex-canucks watch

Post by the toucan kid » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:13 pm

I thought I was getting Jovo as a steal in the last round of my fantasy draft. Sheesh...

Morrison and Cooke being washed up is not news to anyone who has watched the Canucks in recent years

Bertuzzi is scoring, but that plus/minus tells me a lot, and I suspect Calgary is getting the player we had in his final year here, a liability in the long run.

Good for Naslund.

Farhan Lalji

Re: Ex-canucks watch

Post by Farhan Lalji » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:30 pm

dr.dork wrote:At about the 12 game mark...

Player goals assists points +/-
Morrison 0 1 1 -7
Bertuzzi 7 2 9 -7
Naslund 4 7 11 -1
Jovo 0 0 0 -6
Cooke 0 2 2 -2

Bertuzzi and Naslund seem to be having a good start to (perhaps) some bounce back years. Mo and Jovo have been horrific (stats wise).

It will be interesting to see where they're at at the end of the year...
Few things:

1) I'm not surprised at Morrison's numbers....as to the best of my recollection, he is still recovering from his off-season surgery (I'm pretty sure he had surgery?). Anaheim is an offensively challenged team as it is (although I might be wrong on this...I am basing this off of what I saw last year...and I'm too lazy to look this up right now).

2) I am very happy for Naslund. Although I still believe that Naslund, for the past three years, was arguably the worst captain in the NHL, I also believe that Naslund was a victim of an incomptabile system (Veenyo's style...past two years) and circumstance (05/06 - the Bertuzzi/Moore baggage....ironically enough, largely from Calgary Flame fans). Having said that - I do believe that Naslund is an excellent ASSISTANT captain...provided that there's another "alpha" leader on the team that loves to speak up and can lead by example in many different ways. Lord only knows why Veenyo didn't allow last year's Canucks squad to play like they currently do (i.e. carrying the puck, etc.).....while Naslund was still here.

3) I wonder if Jovanovski is a victim of the system (as opposed to being washed up). Honestly - I wouldn't mind trading Salo and Pyatt for Jovanovski (or something to that effect) if possible. Jovanovski can play well provided that he has a defensive defenseman by his side. I think Jovanovski and Mitchell would be a TREMENDOUS pairing. I like Jovo's leadership, and he'd be welcome on my team any day.

4) Bertuzzi has a +/- of -7, but what are the +/-'s of other players? I'd be interested to know this. Where does Bertuzzi rank on the team in terms of +/-? I wish Bert. all the best.

User avatar
the toucan kid
CC Legend
Posts: 3923
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:50 am

Re: Ex-canucks watch

Post by the toucan kid » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:42 pm

Bert is the worst on the Flames, seems to be about a -1 or -2 median on the team.

Believe it or not, Anaheim has the second highest goals for in the league (tied with Philly)

Oh and Farhan, I'm not not your fact checker, just curious myself :D

Farhan Lalji

Re: Ex-canucks watch

Post by Farhan Lalji » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:47 pm

the toucan kid wrote:Bert is the worst on the Flames, seems to be about a -1 or -2 median on the team.

Believe it or not, Anaheim has the second highest goals for in the league (tied with Philly)

Oh and Farhan, I'm not not your fact checker, just curious myself :D
Thanks for doing my homework TC. :P

That sucks about Bertuzzi. His low assist total also is a bit of a red flag for me (i.e. selfish?). As much as I dislike the fans of Calgary (not to mention, the people of Alberta and Toronto in general), I can't help but "not hate" the Calgary Flames as a team due to Bertuzzi's presence (and Iginla's show of respect towards Linden last year).

dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:13 am
Location: Vancouver

Re: Ex-canucks watch

Post by dr.dork » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:49 pm

Farhan Lalji wrote:
3) I wonder if Jovanovski is a victim of the system (as opposed to being washed up). Honestly - I wouldn't mind trading Salo and Pyatt for Jovanovski (or something to that effect) if possible. Jovanovski can play well provided that he has a defensive defenseman by his side. I think Jovanovski and Mitchell would be a TREMENDOUS pairing. I like Jovo's leadership, and he'd be welcome on my team any day.
Jovo had a good year last year, so we can't blame it on the system. At this point Pyatt is worth a bucket used pucks, and nobody in their right mind is going to give us Jovo for Salo. Jovo's salary is not quite as dumb as what it once was, but he is still pretty expensive. On the subject of Salo, there is also that minor issue of a no trade clause to consider. It is pretty unlikely that someone is going to take a hometown discount (which Salo did) and then accept a trade.

On Morrison, I think we will see him turn the corner after christmas.

Farhan Lalji

Re: Ex-canucks watch

Post by Farhan Lalji » Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:55 pm

dr.dork wrote: Jovo had a good year last year, so we can't blame it on the system. At this point Pyatt is worth a bucket used pucks, and nobody in their right mind is going to give us Jovo for Salo. Jovo's salary is not quite as dumb as what it once was, but he is still pretty expensive. On the subject of Salo, there is also that minor issue of a no trade clause to consider. It is pretty unlikely that someone is going to take a hometown discount (which Salo did) and then accept a trade.

On Morrison, I think we will see him turn the corner after christmas.
Agreed on all accounts.

It was just wishful thinking on my part. If Phoenix does perceive Jovo's salary to be a little high (and genuinely are looking for a minor salary dump and for more depth), then I figured that the Canucks could perhaps capitalize. As pitiful as Jovo's numbers have been, I'd still love to see him here. Paired with Mitchell (or even Edler), I think Jovo's "brainfarts" would be nullified to a large extent (just as it was when he was paired with Malik). Jovo's deficiencies could be limited, while we'd also maximize his strengths (i.e. PP....and the fact that the Canucks are now once again encouraging their D-men to join the rush). Jovo's toughness and leadership would also be a welcome addition.

dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:13 am
Location: Vancouver

Re: Ex-canucks watch

Post by dr.dork » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:22 pm

Farhan Lalji wrote: It was just wishful thinking on my part. If Phoenix does perceive Jovo's salary to be a little high (and genuinely are looking for a minor salary dump and for more depth), then I figured that the Canucks could perhaps capitalize. As pitiful as Jovo's numbers have been, I'd still love to see him here. Paired with Mitchell (or even Edler), I think Jovo's "brainfarts" would be nullified to a large extent (just as it was when he was paired with Malik). Jovo's deficiencies could be limited, while we'd also maximize his strengths (i.e. PP....and the fact that the Canucks are now once again encouraging their D-men to join the rush). Jovo's toughness and leadership would also be a welcome addition.
I would take Jovo back. We could certainly use him.

Joe Rockhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star
Posts: 468
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:19 pm
Location: North Delta

Re: Ex-canucks watch

Post by Joe Rockhead » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:40 pm

I'd love to see "Special Ed" back! At least he was fun to watch, would hit , fight ,score. Alot of offensive type defencmen resort to playing "stay at home D" in order to prolong their careers, I wonder if Eddy is trying that? It ain't working.

If anything Bertuzzi is not a selfish player with the puck. How many times did we see him pass up a pretty good shot to pass to Naslund? I think he's trying to simplify his game to get back on track.


Its nice to see Markus Naslund have sucsses with the stinkin Rags. After the way he was treated in this city of A-holes he deserves it big time!!!
Don Cherry for P.M.

randymeeks
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:43 pm
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Re: Ex-canucks watch

Post by randymeeks » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:19 pm

I'm not so sure about Morrison rebounding. Remember that speed is his bread and butter He has now had hip and knee surgery. If his leg speed doesn't come back, he's toast. Sadly, Morrison's last 3 seasons as a Canuck were riddled with injuries that he mostly tried to play through and may wind up ending his career. Naslund will still be a good player for the Rangers but anyone expecting a 40 goal rebirth is nuts. No one should be surprised that Cooke and Jovo aren't playing well or that Bertuzzi's plus minus is so terrible. I haven't looked it up but am willing to bet that Bertuzzi's points have mostly come on the power play while playing with Iginla. He was terrible here 5 on 5 in his last season and will likely continue that in Cowtown. That gives us a weakness to exploit.
38 years without a Stanley Cup and counting.

User avatar
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP
Posts: 7966
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:39 am
Location: Everywhere

Re: Ex-canucks watch

Post by Cornuck » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:34 pm

randymeeks wrote:I haven't looked it up but am willing to bet that Bertuzzi's points have mostly come on the power play while playing with Iginla. He was terrible here 5 on 5 in his last season and will likely continue that in Cowtown. That gives us a weakness to exploit.
Yep - 7 goals, 5 on the PP and now a -10 (one off worst in the league & tied with Brind'Amour). Having Bert out 5 on 5 is like giving the opposition a man advantage once they get the puck - and has been for years now.

(On a side now, Selanne has 8 goals, 7 on the PP.)
2019-20 - Playoff Bound

dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1771
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:13 am
Location: Vancouver

Re: Ex-canucks watch

Post by dr.dork » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:52 pm

Cornuck wrote:
randymeeks wrote:I haven't looked it up but am willing to bet that Bertuzzi's points have mostly come on the power play while playing with Iginla. He was terrible here 5 on 5 in his last season and will likely continue that in Cowtown. That gives us a weakness to exploit.
Yep - 7 goals, 5 on the PP and now a -10 (one off worst in the league & tied with Brind'Amour). Having Bert out 5 on 5 is like giving the opposition a man advantage once they get the puck - and has been for years now.

(On a side now, Selanne has 8 goals, 7 on the PP.)
Actually, to be critical, for the last few years he couldn't score or defend. Now at least he can score, and even if it is on the PP it is a positive vs the last 2-3 years.

I think the takeaway for the canucks is don't take penalties against Calgary, and Kesler/Burrows may do well if Bertuzzi is on the top line.

I don't mean to defend Bertuzzi, and I especially HATE his lazy-ass backchecking, but -10 and 0 PP goal is much different than -10 and 5 PP goals.

User avatar
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 604
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:58 am
Location: Victoria
Contact:

Re: Ex-canucks watch

Post by Mikodat » Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:29 am

And the best of them...

Alex Auld - .935 Sv % for Ottawa..

not surprised by any of the stats.. Naslund probably will have another - 7 .. 55 or 60 pt season.
Bert is a disaster
Jovo playing on a poor team
Mo playing injured again

all are - players.. Glad they aren't on the nucks :)

Only one of the gang I'd like back is Auldie the baldie.. best back up we ever had in years and got pushed into being the main man little too early .. :)
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(

User avatar
jchockey
MVP
MVP
Posts: 1551
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:46 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: Ex-canucks watch

Post by jchockey » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:05 am

Also, Brett Skinner's now playing in the bigs with the Islanders, and Tomas Mojzis (remember him?) is playing with the Wild. Bryan Allen was named a permanent alternate captain this year but is still on the shelf with an injury. Brookbank continues to enjoy life in Carolina.

User avatar
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star
Posts: 952
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:34 pm
Location: Surrey, B.C.

Re: Ex-canucks watch

Post by Sid Dithers » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:35 pm

Not surprised with Morrison. Healthy or not, I think he's all but finished as a player.
Bert's goals are nice, but I put more stock in that +/-. Top-line players cannot be well into minus territory if your team is going anywhere.
Good for Naslund. Great to see him working the point-a-game clip, but I'm eternally convinced it would never had happened here. He needed the change and it's working out well for him. It's all good.
Jovo. He's 32(?) now. He's not getting any younger. I would expect his stats to start dipping permanently now. I'd take him back if we offloaded similar salary (Salo + Pyatt) to do it.
Cooke is severely on the downside. He bravely used his body recklessly for years here, but at that size it catches up with you. We unloaded him at the right time.
I always liked Auld. He's a good backup and can handle the starter role for a while if the #1 guy goes down. I don't really think he's a permanent #1 guy though, sad to say.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!

Post Reply