Rypien... You guessed it

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

puckhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Rypien... You guessed it

Post by puckhead »

Rick Rypien is having sports hernia surgery and will be out indefinitely. He came home from the road trip early because of a virus, began skating on his own recently and felt a "tweak" in his abdominal area, got it checked and they discovered the hernia. He's had a history of groin and abdominal problems.

*sigh*
----------------------------
We got LUONGO!!!!!!!!!!
Arbour
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: Rypien... You guessed it

Post by Arbour »

Damn, you gotta feel for the guy. It seems that he can't get a break. It's too bad because Rypien has considerably more puck sense than Brown and might have been a decent contributor this year. Well here's hoping Brown figures out that the idea of giving big hits is to eventually get the puck and sometimes the threat of finishing a check is enough to cause a turnover, and hopefully make a play from that.

Here's hoping for a speedy return for Rypien and that "indefinitely" doesn't mean the season.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

Just when I was beginning to become a fan of his. It may be time to cut him loose when he's healthy.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I really like this guy and for whatever reason I'm rooting for him, but sometimes it just isn't in the cards.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Post by levelheaded »

I think you can pretty much call that the end for him. I'd love to see him rehab once again and make the team, but eventually these injuries are going to take their toll on him, and why bother wasting money and roster space on someone who can't play 90% of the year anyways?

I love the Ripper, don't get me wrong, but sometimes you have to say enough-is-enough and cut players loose.
Bartman
MVP
MVP

Post by Bartman »

I have always been a big fan of his. I love the way he plays the game and the fact that he was undersized but still handed out some serious whoop ass. However...this is probably it for him. He'll probably get his surgery, heal then be sent to the minors for conditioning. He'll either be left their to rot or be picked up on his way back thru waivers by someone willing to give his fiesty but brittle body a shot.

BIG heart, little body and brittle bone disease do not an NHL player make.
R.I.P. Luc.
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

6 weeks recovery minimum I think, but you can start rehab after the first week.

Until this year I thought he was a waste of space. Now I wish he were in the linup.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

If he is sent down for conditioning I don't think he has to clear waivers on the way back up.

A sports hernia seems to be a common injury lately in the NHL, so I am willign to cut him some slack unlike others who want to cut him loose. I guess if he didn't have bad luck he wouldn't have any luck at all. At his salary and with the energy he brings I hope they stick with him. It sets a poor example by just cutting him loose.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
antro
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by antro »

I agree with Blob. Don't cut him loose. This kid skates like the wind, and has unbelievable energy out there. It almost sounds counter-intuitive, but, once he's back, they have to convince him to pick his spots just a tiny bit more. You're not going to find players like him very easily. Brown is not our guy. He's straight up fast, but doesn't have mobility.

The Rypper is worth another shot.
-----------------------------
no more Bieksa-bashing!
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

It's not that I want him cut loose, but you can only give a player so many shots at fighting through injuries. I love what he's brought to the team this year. I think he's the style of player Gillis should be building the bottom forwards like. Unfortunately, having him on the IR all the time doesn't accomplish anything. It's truly a shame.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
Sid Dithers
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Sid Dithers »

I think we all like the things Ryp brings to the team, but DAMN!, sometimes a guy plays a type of game his body just can't handle. We might need to face the facts that this guy will never quite work out for that very reason.
AraChniD iS stoOpiDz!
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Dammmm... guy was just getting started.... and looking good.. I hope he makes it back to the Big Show... Guys with big ballz are hard to come by in the new nhl...
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Madcombinepilot
MVP
MVP

Post by Madcombinepilot »

Why is everyone excited? We all knew Ripper would get hurt (OK, so nobody 'knew' for sure, but the guy has never played a full season, so it was kind of a sure thing. More a matter of 'when' and 'how long' than 'if')... the point is, this is the reason why they didn't let Brownie hit the waiver wire... it was a cinch that Ripper would be hurt at some point of the season, and Brown is a decent fill in for him.
The 'Chain of Command' is the chain I am going to beat you with until you understand I am in charge.
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

Madcombinepilot wrote:... it was a cinch that Ripper would be hurt at some point of the season, and Brown is a decent fill in for him.
I really liked watching Rypien play and I liked watching him fight even more. He holds his own against others who outweigh him by 30 or 40 pounds, and any teammate worth anything would be energized to see that happen. Sure, Brown may drop them once in a while, but I rarely notice him when he is playing and Rypien has the speed to wreak havoc on the 4th line.

I hope he makes it back because for me he was one of the few bright spots on this team (in the entertainment sense).