Aahh!!! Streaming hockey overseas!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Aahh!!! Streaming hockey overseas!

Post by ClamRussel »

Anyone here have experience watching HNIC overseas? ...I'm currently in Australia and was all psyched to tune it HNIC streaming from the CBC....and what a nice surprise but I get this message "video not available in your area."
WTF!?! Are they blacking out the streaming??? Is this how the NHL wants to "grow the game"?

No wonder I can't find a hockey magazine here for the life of me.

Seriously, how can they think blocking international hockey fans who can't access the TV broadcast is a good thing. :hmmm:

If anyone has any ideas or experience I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks
One Desperate Frustrated Clam
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Re: Aahh!!! Streaming hockey overseas!

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Got the same problems...

Right now i'm watching via http://www.mogulus.com/PS4VP4

It's the cbc feed....the quality isn't ver good but hey at least you can see who scores a goal immediately. :devil:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Got it! Thanks Cookie - much better than just team 1040! :D
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
George
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by George »

You can also download a program that changes your IP address to match that of another country. I can't recommend any off the top of my head, but if you look around there should a few free or trial ones available as a plugin for your browser. I used one a couple of years ago to watch some Yahoo feeds...
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Clam how long are you down under for anyways dude? I would have thought your band was going to have a huge record deal by now.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

I've got the same problems Clam... plus West Coast games start at 4-4:30 am... East coast at 1-1:30 am... plus no computer for the next month = one distressed Vancouver Canucks fan! That IP changing program sounds interesting!

I was able to watch some games last year off myp2p or something like that... if you google it, it should pop up... it's a great site for all sports in general (watched Feder's US Open on it). I used sopcast and vlc player as my software. Not going to lie though, the quality isn't always so hot and if CBC's HNIC was somehow available to me, I would be all over it.

Looking forward to hearing other foreign based Canucks' fans advice!
Hockey_roo
CC Veteran

Post by Hockey_roo »

Welcome to OZ, Clam!
Where are you in the great BROWN land ?
Hockey is not big here but there is some dedicated fans in the larger cities and elsewhere.

Tough to get good coverage. Last year I was using Yahoo Live to stream games but was very ordinary quality.
I have also used Comcast but you need to download there software.
Can find some previously played games on Yahoo as well but most are a few weeks old and may not have all Nucks games.
Haven't found anything better recently.
I can view some live games on FOX pay tv.
Or else listen to 1040.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Thanks Roo, I'm on the Central Coast about an hour from Sydney. Where are you at?

I still don't understand *why* I can't stream it from CBC's site....grrrr

Blob, I'm not sure they exist anymore...definitely rare for anyone over 25...the deals out there now...not sure any sane self-respecting musician would want them. The times are a changin.' I'm down here for the hockey season put it that way. Have you ordered our new CD btw? :lol:
westvandal
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

DON'T USE EXPLORER BROWSER

Post by westvandal »

I get that problem all the time with youtube and streaming vids...use firefox, and it should work fine. If not, it could also be what George said, I'm not familiar with how to do that but it makes sense to me.
Are you on some kind of grant/tour there Clam?
E1-E4 = I made it up.
E5 = Found it on tsn.
Mikodat
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Mikodat »

Was in Thailand last winter got the ESPN feed ok.. and TSN ... not sure about CBC... but I use Firefox instead of explorer..
Nuck fan Since 1970 and still no Cup :(
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

I seem to remember that last year CBC didn't allow people outside of Canada to view the games.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: DON'T USE EXPLORER BROWSER

Post by ClamRussel »

westvandal wrote:I get that problem all the time with youtube and streaming vids...use firefox, and it should work fine. If not, it could also be what George said, I'm not familiar with how to do that but it makes sense to me.
Are you on some kind of grant/tour there Clam?
I was on FireFox... :? I dunno, I'll try changing my IP and that should do the trick.
Unnecessary though...damn RED tape.
I'm doing some traveling over here...also getting away from the distractions of life back home to focus on some much needed writing. I *wish* I had a grant.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Cornuck wrote:I seem to remember that last year CBC didn't allow people outside of Canada to view the games.
Typical. Thats bogus. What about Canadian citizens living abroad? ...what about the soldiers at war? There's lots of Canadians all over the world, we should be able to tune in. Whats it to them who watches anyways? Its up there as a service and doesn't cost a penny more if ONE person or a MILLION people watch it. As Mrs. Brian Burke would say, they're full of crock.
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

To change your IP you need a couple things
*Firefox
*FoxyProxy http://foxyproxy.mozdev.org/
*The IP address of a proxy server in Canada

One and two are easy, but the last bit can be a pain, because they're hard to find (and often slow).

Essentially all traffic will go through the proxy server before it comes to you. It's probably the only way you can spoof your location. You could try web proxies which are websites that handle this for you, but I doubt they'd be able to handle video (try http://www.freeproxy.ca/). Make sure the proxy you use isn't a secure link. It adds encryption which will slow down the video).

Hope that helps
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Wow thanks Bingo, I'm going to give that a go.