The Wellwood Factor

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Re: The Wellwood Factor

Post by LotusBlossom »

Hockey_roo wrote:Call me optimistic or just naive (or someone who loves the underdog!).... But I, and I may be the only 1, plain want the guy to succeed.
I also think he will.
If he has the skill most people say he has this will assist him solidifying a spot in the top 6.
In regards to conditioning, a few people have already pointed out what an extended period of training/conditioning can do for the body. Remember he is a professional with the resources that go along with that status (conditioning coaches, trainers, targeted exercises, nutritionalists, other health professionals, world class facilities and most importantly motivation as a guy getting paid to play at the highest level in a sport he has played most his life).
I have trained with professional atheletes and had been trained by those who train(conditioning experts who assisted the LA Kings back in the early 90's) and there is much science going into getting an professional athelete to the level that the employer requires.
I doubt Wellwood will be the fittest player on the team, but I am confident a combination of his natural talent and the Canucks organization can get this guy up to the level he needs to be to play a important role this year.
I think we all want him to succeed. There wasn't the chant of "Wellwood fail!" But it's a matter of if he wants to succeed. The majority of us know just how good of a player he can be, but his reputation precedes him and not favourably.

parfois, je veux juste laisser tinber un coude volant sur le monde
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Wow, not making it easy for himself to silence his critics is he? :lol:

mr perfect
MVP
MVP

Post by mr perfect »

Wellwood stands to make close to $1 mil this season and if he were to have a successful season, $4-5 mil per season after this. Yes, I know he has had some injuries and surgery. Having said that, one of my self defence instructors who also does fitness training was offered $30,000 to get Brad Pitt into shape for his role in "Troy." That was 5 years ago. It gives you an idea what Wellwood would need to spend for fitness. Throw in a nutritionist to put him on the diet he needs and I'm sure he would spend $100,000 or about 11% of his salary to come into proper shape for this season. Is it worth the investment? To Wellwood, it doesn't appear so. Like Tommi Santala and Marc Chouinard before him, Wellwood mentally has reach the point where he is satisfied with what he can get now and will spend the rest of his career in the AHL or Europe making $80 - 100,000 a year. He has reached his personal jackpot and has no ambition to earn more. He'll laugh while in Manitoba making his salary. Pesonally, I wouldn't want this guy anywhere near any of my prospects if I were GM.
Fred
CC Legend

Post by Fred »

Exactly that's why Brad Pitt is succesful in his career andWellwood is a wanna be in his
cheers
mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by mattola »

we are signing Brad Pitt?

Man the CDC is going to lose it
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

mattola wrote:we are signing Brad Pitt?

I was kinda hoping to get Hugh Jackman in the fold... ;)
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

LotusBlossom wrote:

Bah, at least Russell Crowe would know his role!
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Hey let's stay realistic. Paul Newman has made huge experiences as a player and coach. He knows the attitude of the 70ies and could easily support Wellwood.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Hockey_roo
CC Veteran

Post by Hockey_roo »

ClamRussel wrote:
LotusBlossom wrote:

Bah, at least Russell Crowe would know his role!
Both great Aussie actors and DEFINITELY could be a role model for Wellwood, as both have been able to transform themselves(by getting into fantastic shape - no mean feat for Russell) to attain a goal (no pun intended).
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Well well well

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Hockey/article/508656
"He's a good guy to have in the locker room," said Kesler. "He's proven all the critics wrong."
Spoken like a true Captain :mrgreen:

Spider -ToldYaSo
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

First off, I just want to say that I am glad to hear that Wellwood is improving...there is promise with this team.

I know we've all written them off, but it's nice to see the team morale better than what it should be considering all the negative press it has received from coast to coast.

Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

What the hell are they doing ? He went from badshaped to NHL standard within one week ? (If you want to believe the media reports....) :mrgreen:

Btw what about Jeff O'Neill ? I read that he quits the tryout camp in Carolina... Isn't he an option anymore ?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=251252
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Wellwood was -1 in a 6-1 win :|

The old Crow has weighed into the debate in his new gig
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2008/09/ ... n_tru.html

Play your way into shape is an antiquated notion and will not be acceptable in a few more years. I can see contracts in the future simply stating. No shapey. No moola.

Spider -GoodShapeForABertuzzi
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
LotusBlossom
MVP
MVP

Post by LotusBlossom »

Arachnid wrote:Wellwood was -1 in a 6-1 win :|

The old Crow has weighed into the debate in his new gig
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2008/09/ ... n_tru.html

Play your way into shape is an antiquated notion and will not be acceptable in a few more years. I can see contracts in the future simply stating. No shapey. No moola.

Spider -GoodShapeForABertuzzi
Excellent post/blog by Crow. I don't understand how anyone can be in such piss-poor shape as a professional athlete. I do agree with him completely. You want the bucks, you want the opportunity, show us. Show us you are going to do your part to be that well-conditioned athlete and teammate we expect. If not, learn to sweep the ice, curling is a 'sport' you can take up if you can't show up to camp in shape.