Robert Lang traded to Montreal (No Sundin for Habs)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mattola
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Robert Lang traded to Montreal (No Sundin for Habs)

Post by mattola »

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2008/09/12/habs_lang/

Sportsnet has learned that the Montreal Canadiens have acquired forward Robert Lang from the Chicago Blackhawks for a second-round pick in 2010.
levelheaded
MVP
MVP

Re: Robert Lang traded to Montreal (No Sundin for Habs)

Post by levelheaded »

I guess it's down to NYR or Toronto now. I still feel that Sundin will retire though.

Also, all it took to get Lang was a 2nd round pick? That's an absolute steal for the Habs. He had 54pts with the Blackhawks last year and was 4th in team scoring behind Kane, Sharp and Toews... Why couldn't we get in on this?
Icebreaka
CC Veteran

Post by Icebreaka »

Ya that's always my instinct on something like this is why couldn't we grab him? He'd look just fine on our second line with Demitra and whoever is in the cards to play on that line.
Grizzly
MVP
MVP

Post by Grizzly »

levelheaded wrote:I guess it's down to NYR or Toronto now. I still feel that Sundin will retire though.

Also, all it took to get Lang was a 2nd round pick? That's an absolute steal for the Habs. He had 54pts with the Blackhawks last year and was 4th in team scoring behind Kane, Sharp and Toews... Why couldn't we get in on this?
I would agree ... can't see him coming West if he does ever decide to sign somewhere.

I wonder though if he goes to NYR who they will dump to stay within the cap ... surely it will put them over. Could that open a door for Vancouver to pick someone up for a reasonable price ??

Grizz
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Yep - a solid 20-25 goal scorer gone. I really have to wonder how some of these deals go through. Does one GM just call the other and say "You want Lang" - "Sure - how about a 2nd for him" "Done - how's the wife?"

or do they actively shop him around to 15-20 teams and fish for the best deal? I would think that if the deal came across GMMG's desk, he'd have gone for it. But I guess we'll never know.

Maybe Lang (as a vet) had some say in where he'd like to play?
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Badfish
MVP
MVP

Post by Badfish »

I'm with you guys, very strange he went for only a #2 pick! Total steal for the Habs. He would have looked very nice with Demitra on our 2nd line. Oh well, at least it's another team off the Sundin list. If he pulls a Neidermyer I don't know if I'd want him here in December.... although if we're not doing so well at the time I might change my tune, although if that were the case why would he come here?
puckhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by puckhead »

levelheaded wrote: Why couldn't we get in on this?

ugh. no thanks. seems to be a passenger every time I see him play.
----------------------------
We got LUONGO!!!!!!!!!!
Miller Time
AHL Prospect

Post by Miller Time »

No thanks on Lang. He is in a serious decline and is exactly what we don't need on our team. I think that 4 mill would be better spent elsewhere.
Stupidity doesn't count as a handicap - park elsewhere.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Not that I even like a softie like Lang, but why would Tallon trade him to a team he is likely to be battling against for a playoff spot ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Not that I even like a softie like Lang, but why would Tallon trade him to a team he is likely to be battling against for a playoff spot ?
Perhaps thats why he traded him there?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
jchockey
MVP
MVP

Post by jchockey »

Part of a salary dump by the Hawks. Lang fits into the Habs' finesse game quite nicely, although he'll have to settle for the third line spot.
puckhead
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by puckhead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Not that I even like a softie like Lang, but why would Tallon trade him to a team he is likely to be battling against for a playoff spot ?

a) Tallon has seen Lang play. what better place to send hiom than a rival. however:
b) battling against for a playoff? last I checked Chi was in the west, Mtl was in the east.
----------------------------
We got LUONGO!!!!!!!!!!
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

In all fairness, the pick Chicago acquired is the one the Habs acquired from the leaves for Grabovski. That pick is probably more attractive then the one the Canucks would offer.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel:
dr.dork
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by dr.dork »

puckhead wrote:
b) battling against for a playoff? last I checked Chi was in the west, Mtl was in the east.
Blob's statement can be interpreted as an answer to "why didn't GMMG get into the action". Tallon probably wouldn't want to help out a western team so he shipped him east.
Linden Is God
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Linden Is God »

I read a short blurb today saying that the Canucks and leaves were also in the running for Lang.
Hawks coach Denis Savard told Marc De Foy of the Journal de Montréal that Guy Carbonneau will like Robert Lang.

Savrd describes Lang as "low-maintenance" – a desirable quality in cars and hockey players.

"He's easy to coach," Savard added. "Carbo will like him. He's a good guy who never caused me any problems.

"He can give the team 50 to 60 points. Plus, he understand the game."

Savard also said Vancouver and Toronto were interested in trading for Lang before Bob Gainey scooped him up.
GO CANUCKS GO !!!

:towel: :towel: :towel: